Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 4runner DRLs / Reverse Lights / illumination for HVAC controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 4runner DRLs / Reverse Lights / illumination for HVAC controls

1) Looking for the cheapest option to run DRLs on my imported 1999 4runner, manual Sr5 (i'm in canada)

Canadian tire offers a product by Hamsar, but I contacted Hamsar directly and they recommend only using them with the fog lights/parking lights. This is fine, but I don't have fogs so I would need to buy fogs as well. If this is the best route, by all means I'll get them.

I would have thought that it would be simply a relay, since DRLs existed on canadian destined 4runners

The dealer wants $85 + labour for an "aftermarket kit" which he wouldn't tell me the make. Can tire will also install them for $160 but I don't really want Can tire doing anything other then the inspection.

2) Both my reverse lights don't work, haven't checked bulbs yet but I'm guessing it's not the bulbs.

I don't see a fuse in the fusebox for them. Does anyone know Also where is the switch located? Also where is the switch located that turns them on, I have a manual transmission.

3) The lights illuminating the HVAC controls don't light up. I'm wondering if these might be on the same fuse as the reverse lights

Other then that, I'm extremely happy with my (new) truck! Looking forward to getting the import process complete. If anyone needs guidance on this, let me know, it's well worth it to get the exact truck you want
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRL's started in the US market 4Runners in 2000. The setup is totally different, the DRL's have switched hots and four fuses, the non-DRL's have switched grounds and two fuses. The wiring diagrams are here:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...i/020hldrl.pdf

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...emci/019hl.pdf

I haven't thought about how to retrofit DRL's into my '99 5-speed, since I don't really want them, but it would take some effort. I can confirm that the non-DRL diagram I posted is accurate for a US '99 5-speed SR5 4Runner--that's my truck (good choice!).

The reverse switch on a 5-speed is on the tranny. They can fail.

Last edited by TheDurk; 03-23-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the diagrams / info.

Unfortunately I'm obligated to install DRLs under Canadian laws, I realise there are no switches.

My questions regarding the switch was for the reverse lights, since this could be my issue. My guess is that that it resides in/about the tranny somwhere, and it would be triggered by the shifting into reverse. Any idea?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yotadawgjr
Thanks for the diagrams / info.

Unfortunately I'm obligated to install DRLs under Canadian laws, I realise there are no switches.

My questions regarding the switch was for the reverse lights, since this could be my issue. My guess is that that it resides in/about the tranny somwhere, and it would be triggered by the shifting into reverse. Any idea?
Yeah I realized I answered the wrong question. See edited post above. The diagram stinks, but it should be high up on the driver's side, part no. 84210-12040.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Also, DRLs are the law in Canada since 1990, so any 1999 4runner sold here must have had them, which leads me to believe there must be a simple solution (different relay, etc) but I have had very little luck finding it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Also, DRLs are the law in Canada since 1990, so any 1999 4runner sold here must have had them, which leads me to believe there must be a simple solution (different relay, etc) but I have had very little luck finding it.
Well, the diagrams I posted tells me you are wrong. There are major differences in how those are wired. Different fuse box, a whole control module, interface with the e-brake and ECU, different relays and headlight harness--your basic non-trivial exercise. Aftermarket add-on is the way to go.

Last edited by TheDurk; 03-23-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Ok let me ask this then: Are the wiring diagrams for 2000-2002 US edition 4runners with DRLs identical to 1999 Canadian edition 4runners with DRLS. If that's case then I agree aftermarket would be the way to go. If not, do you know where I can get a 1999 4runner Canadian edition 4runner wiring diagram (DRLs stock)?

Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM

Ok let me ask this then: Are the wiring diagrams for 2000-2002 US edition 4runners with DRLs identical to 1999 Canadian edition 4runners with DRLS. If that's case then I agree aftermarket would be the way to go. If not, do you know where I can get a 1999 4runner Canadian edition 4runner wiring diagram (DRLs stock)?

Thanks again.
I'm guessing the 2000+ design was already in use for the Canada spec 4Runners and simply became the standard. This is supported, but not definitively proven when I look at the Parts listings on toyodiy.com for my truck. At least 4 relays are listed for Canada spec versions with prices for these items totalling several hundred dollars--and there are others besides. When I then get the applications listings for those relays, the applications go from 1996 to 2002. Here is an example:

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...810-35050.html

So I am not positive but I'd happily bet even money that the 2002 diagram applies to '99 Canada spec 4Runners. I can't get a US wiring diagram for 1999, let alone Canadian, on-line for free; I would have to pay $$ to Toyota for a paper copy or sign on to TIS and spend the day down-loading. I make do with the 2002 wiring diagram.

Last edited by TheDurk; 03-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 AM

Good research there! Makes a lot of sense.

The inspection place is offering installation of DRLs for $144. I think I'll save myself the headache, and since the inspection place is doing it, I will be sure that they will pass. I just didn't want to pay that if it was a simple relay swap. Cheers for helpin on this.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 AM

UPDATE on reverse lights:

So I determined the problem was definitely the reverse switch, on the actual transmission under the truck. From diagrams it's location is on the side of the transmission close to where it connects to the transfer case, fairly easy to remove with an open ended wrench , once the wires were disconnected. Once I had it off I tested it with a continuity checker and found it to be defective. Alternately, I could have shorted the two wires on the truck so see if the lights come on (switch is a normally open type). With some paper towels and my shopvac, I suctioned all the oil out of the switch, and was able to get it working. So I put it back on the truck. I noticed once later that day it didn't work again so I immediately ordered a new switch off the internet. However, it has since started working again consistently so I may delay the replacement. In any case, the problem was definitely the oil-filled switch, perhaps the seals are leaky.

Next mission: figure out why my interior illumination on the temp control knob, fan control knob, recirc knob aren't working. Anybody know which fuse this is? Strangely my A/C button illumination works.

Last edited by Yotadawgjr; 04-05-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM

personally I would like to disable my DRL's
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM

More thread revival - yes - but I also want to point out that the 2000+ 4runners have an entirely new DRL running control box, as well as a large load resistor for the headlights. It would be a pain to install. I would just use the corner lights (if thats allowed? I dont know the Canadian law), or simply add in my own relay with a new system for DRL's.

With the new system, then you can use LED's or whatever type of lights you prefer. Another cheap idea would be to adapt the same type of mod that the guys use to move their blinkers into the corner lights, IE a two filament bulb for the corners and for the DRL's. I love the bright orange light look on toyota's - I may be adding this myself one day.

The stock DRL system in the 4runner must be removed should you ever decide to install HID's to the stock wiring system.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Can't you just turn the headlights on whenever you drive instead of having DRL's?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM

DRLs are required by law in Canada.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM

UPDATE on climate controls:

Got x2 bulbs from Toyota 90010-05152, should be correct as I gave them my vin and they were the only ones that turned up

Now looking for takeapart instructions, anyone? Found one for a '97 sr5 but the '99 sr5 looks a little different so I'm not sure if it's applicable
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Climate control illumination FIXED

Bulbs were the indeed the culprit. Center dash trim came off pretty easily, started with this procedure:

1. flip up the center console and pull the emergency brake handle, then pull up on the black plastic cupholder, it helps using a hand inside the e-brake pocket -- it just snaps right out.

2. pull up on the woodgrain/plastic piece surrounding the gear shift -- also just snaps right out

3. pull the woodgrain/plastic dash piece starting at the bottom -- yes, it too snaps right off, BUT, it has many wires attached that you DO NOT need to remove. Just push the unsnapped dash piece to the right a bit and you'll have plenty of room to work.

There were 6 clips for (3), I ended up disconnecting a few connectors to give me more room to work. Once the dash piece was loose, I removed the 2 rotary knobs, A/C button and two small knobs, then took the climate control faceplate off which revealed the two bulbs. Replaced them and put everything back together. Now everything is green again! (and contrary to a lot of folks, I find green illumination to be very nice. after all human eyes are most sensitive to green).

I also now know where part of the ABS system resides!

So in conclusion: (as I had several issues which probably should have been separate threads)

1) DRLS installed at Canadian Tire. I left that one to the pro: contract installer who had evidently knew his stuff. Main headlights are on all the time

2) Reverse lights solved by removing switch on the side of the tranny (passenger side), shop vac-ing it thoroughly a few times, checking switch with continuity checker (should beep when switch is closed/pushedin), and re-installing.

Ordered this switch just in case it happens again: Beck Arnley 201-1788 Back Up Lamp Switch

3) Climate control illumination fixed by replacing bulbs x2 90010-05152

Last edited by Yotadawgjr; 05-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.