Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 toyota 4runner wont start...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 toyota 4runner wont start...Need help

I have a 98 4runner with a 2.7l motor and 5 speed tranny. I just recently replaced the radiator after my truck stalled driving home. It started and ran fine with no problems, not burning any oil, cooling system stays pressurized. I drove it home from my parents house where I was working and parked. I came out the next morning and the truck cranks but wont fire. Itll almost start but just keep cranking. I used jumper cables so its not my battery. I checked and im getting fuel to the line. Its never done this in the past and Im stuck cause I need the car to get to work.

Im completely lost. Ive checked fuses, going to try and swap the efi relay out and see if that helps. Any suggestions? If it makes a differences, the check engine light comes on when the key is in the on position.

Could the clutch pedal sensor not work? what would cause this and has anyone had experience with this before? thanks

I also have an aftermarket alarm on it..Im going to try and disconnect it and see if maybe a kill switch is faulty on it.

Last edited by bluemarlin04; 04-30-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by bluemarlin04
I have a 98 4runner with a 2.7l motor and 5 speed tranny. I just recently replaced the radiator after my truck stalled driving home. It started and ran fine with no problems, not burning any oil, cooling system stays pressurized. I drove it home from my parents house where I was working and parked. I came out the next morning and the truck cranks but wont fire. Itll almost start but just keep cranking. I used jumper cables so its not my battery. I checked and im getting fuel to the line. Its never done this in the past and Im stuck cause I need the car to get to work.

Im completely lost. Ive checked fuses, going to try and swap the efi relay out and see if that helps. Any suggestions? If it makes a differences, the check engine light comes on when the key is in the on position.

Could the clutch pedal sensor not work? what would cause this and has anyone had experience with this before? thanks

I also have an aftermarket alarm on it..Im going to try and disconnect it and see if maybe a kill switch is faulty on it.
Kinda just a shot in the dark, but look into that kill switch on your alarm. Mine was buggin awhile back and was draining my battery. Are you sure your battery is charged?? And out of the blue did you check if there was water in your battery?? One time after thinking it was my starter, etc, etc...turned out to be just as simple as that. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
Kinda just a shot in the dark, but look into that kill switch on your alarm. Mine was buggin awhile back and was draining my battery. Are you sure your battery is charged?? And out of the blue did you check if there was water in your battery?? One time after thinking it was my starter, etc, etc...turned out to be just as simple as that. Good luck.
I checked the battery and had it hooked to jumper cables the whole time. I think some sort of electrical connection worked its way loose or a fuse blown since it never did this before. Hopefully its nothing major.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 AM

Mine did this once as well, it turns out it was a bad ground from the battery.

Re-check all your connections well! How many miles do you have on this beast?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 AM

I'd say you need to look at your fuel system. The cranks and turns over so I wouldn't worry about a bad battery or bad battery connection. Get an wiring diagram and starting checking the electrical circuit for your fuel pump, if your not getting fuel like you say.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bwhyit
I'd say you need to look at your fuel system. The cranks and turns over so I wouldn't worry about a bad battery or bad battery connection. Get an wiring diagram and starting checking the electrical circuit for your fuel pump, if your not getting fuel like you say.
the truck has 128,ooo miles. I am getting fuel at the block so some sort of electrical thing is causing this problem im guessing.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM

Sounds like maybe a starter problem? Try banging on it a few times and then try to turn her. You may have bad contacts on the starter that need to be replaced (Toyota sells a starter repair kit that contains the necessary items).
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bluemarlin:

Have you checked your spark plugs, wires, etc?

What about your oil and coolant? Hopefully there is no mixture there. (head gasket problem from overheating).

Id also run a compression test if you have one.

Any open vacuum lines?

Definetly check the easy stuff first. I'm no mechanic, but, you may want to call one or bring it down to get looked at if you really need the truck ASAP.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:38 PM

What was the fuel pressure on the rail? Just because it had fuel there doesn't mean it had enough psi to run. Could have toasted the fuel pump. I have heard about the clutch safety switch wigging out also it is worth checking into.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wouldn't be the clutch safety switch, because if the clutch pedal is not fully depressed or the switch is bad, it won't even crank.

Definitely check your ignition system and other electrical components.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didnt I already asnwer this in thumpertalk?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 PM

yes, yes you did. Im starting to think that maybe the crank position sensor died.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM

update I need some help. I bought a code reader because no shops here rent them.

I pulled p0100 and p0110. What should I check for? Apparently this is an MAF code. Could this keep the truck from running?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Has it started? My buddies tacoma did something similar, drove it to school, ran fine, we came back out and turned over but wouldnt fire, tried a million times. Anyways on last resort we rolled started it, it started right up and ran perfect, took it to our buddies shop, they determined it was crank position sensor even though it wasnt throwing the code...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by tomwadden
Has it started? My buddies tacoma did something similar, drove it to school, ran fine, we came back out and turned over but wouldnt fire, tried a million times. Anyways on last resort we rolled started it, it started right up and ran perfect, took it to our buddies shop, they determined it was crank position sensor even though it wasnt throwing the code...
no it hasnt started. Ive been thinking about the damn CPS for awhile now. Im going to try bump it but Im on a hill so If I roll it and it dont start I cant get it back to my house.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bluemarlin04
update I need some help. I bought a code reader because no shops here rent them.

I pulled p0100 and p0110. What should I check for? Apparently this is an MAF code. Could this keep the truck from running?
If the MAF is faulty, and/or disconnected the truck won't run, it needs that signal. It's ok that the MIL/CEL is on when the key is on, many vehicles are like that, but since you've got that code, search there. Possible that the alarm is tied into it somehow??

You said you have an alarm on it. i'd go after that & the CEL for the MAF first since you say you have fuel, and the batt isn't bad, and it's cranking, so the starter's doing it's job. Pull a plug, or atleast a coil, and ensure that you have spark(let it ground to something, you'll see the ark while cranking). i'm willing to bet it's something with that gosh darn alarm of yours ;-) :-P You'd be amazed at how many times i've seen batteries go dead in vehicles, replace the battery, and the vehicle not start afterwords, cuz the stoopid alarm reset into "retarded problematic alarm mode" instead of "protect the vehicle mode"!! :-P

Remember, every engine needs fuel, air, spark, timing, to run/operate(which branches out into many other areas from there). Remember those basics and by ruling out each one you will almost always find the problem.

Good luck, hope you get it running again soon.

Last edited by Anubiscougar; 05-08-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Anubiscougar
If the MAF is faulty, and/or disconnected the truck won't run, it needs that signal. It's ok that the MIL/CEL is on when the key is on, many vehicles are like that, but since you've got that code, search there. Possible that the alarm is tied into it somehow??

You said you have an alarm on it. i'd go after that & the CEL for the MAF first since you say you have fuel, and the batt isn't bad, and it's cranking, so the starter's doing it's job. Pull a plug, or atleast a coil, and ensure that you have spark(let it ground to something, you'll see the ark while cranking). i'm willing to bet it's something with that gosh darn alarm of yours ;-) :-P You'd be amazed at how many times i've seen batteries go dead in vehicles, replace the battery, and the vehicle not start afterwords, cuz the stoopid alarm reset into "retarded problematic alarm mode" instead of "protect the vehicle mode"!! :-P

Remember, every engine needs fuel, air, spark, timing, to run/operate(which branches out into many other areas from there). Remember those basics and by ruling out each one you will almost always find the problem.

Good luck, hope you get it running again soon.
thanks, Im betting its the MAF for some reason. Im just pissed it cut out with no warning. Its much better when you know in advance when you have to fix your ride. Ive been riding my motorcycle to work, not bad, but some days you want a vehicle.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM

im having the same problem with my truck. did anyone figure out a solution to this?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM

i have a 1996 touyota 4runner 5cve 6 cylnder 3.4l and im not getting power to fuel pump and it cranks but wont start does anybody have any idea as what it could be i need it for school and so i can take my gf out but its stuck soo need help checked fuses ,were fine so helpp
Old 10-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tightmike44
i have a 1996 touyota 4runner 5cve 6 cylnder 3.4l and im not getting power to fuel pump and it cranks but wont start does anybody have any idea as what it could be i need it for school and so i can take my gf out but its stuck soo need help checked fuses ,were fine so helpp
You know the fuel pump only receives power when the engine is actually cranking or running, not when the key is in the ignition on position.