Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 Toyota 4Runner Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Toyota 4Runner Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

I just recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced on my 1998 4Runner (108K miles) and was wondering if there was anything else that should have been replaced? My cousin was advising that I also replace the crank shaft and cam shaft oil seal, as well as the oil pump oil seal. I want to make sure that the mechanic is not taking me for a ride, considering how much it cost to have it all done.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I just replaced the timming belt in my 97 4 runner (before its recent bout of not wanting to work) and all we replaced was the water pump and thermostate and termostate gasket. Replacing the crank and oil pump would seem unnecessary to me.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two schools of thought on the cam and crank seals. Some feel they should be replaced. Others, myself included, think it's only necessary if they are leaking, especially if it´s the first belt change. I just did my TB/WP at 120K, and I bought the seals, but I left them in the spares box when the originals looked fine. I´ll probably use them next time I go in there if I´m north of say, 180k.

Oil pump seal? I have no idea.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM

If you are not doing all the work yourself, get it replaced all at once so you dont have to deal with it later. Make sure you are getting OEM parts, most importantly the seals.
Why arent you doing the work yourself? Changing the timing belt and pump pump on the 5VZ is about the cleanest and easiest timing belt I've ever done.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM

What about the 2 idler pullys? I have 108k on my 2001, and am unsure if I should do those or not, since they are $50 a piece!

Also, you don't want to reuse your old Crank Bolt, once it has been torqued. Make sure you get a new one.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you should go with new seals, its not a priority, but when you get a chance.

even though they arent/werent leaking, working around them may have disturbed them, so maybe they will begin to leak.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Whiplash Willy
What about the 2 idler pullys? I have 108k on my 2001, and am unsure if I should do those or not, since they are $50 a piece!

Also, you don't want to reuse your old Crank Bolt, once it has been torqued. Make sure you get a new one.
I want to know this too. But I have 185K. I had an Isuzu Rodeo that had an idler pulley go and it was a little scary. What is inside of them that goes bad? Bearings?

Paul
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
188k is all my factory water pump would do before it seized up.. everything was dry cam seals look fine i got a nice kit off ebay with every and i did all the work mostly my self it took a day but felt good i just saved like 500 bucks

Last edited by Elton; 01-12-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not that mechanically inclined, plus I don't have all the necessary tools to do major work. Thus, I have to painstakingly try and find someone who will not take me for a ride and who I can trust to do the job.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you don't need any special tools other than something to hold the CS pulley, I just did mine (thanks to a shop not torquing things to spec, mainly the CS pulley bolt, which you need to replace btw...) and I'm no mechanic, not hard at all.

Use a Toyota t-stat and crank bolt for sure, I highly recommend a Toyota timing belt too just because of the marks and ease of installation.

just my .02....
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently got a kit from Volkstoy Motorsports that included everything (belts, timing belt, idler roller, tensioner roller, tensioner, seals, thermo, thermo o ring, water pump and gasket) for $240 shipped!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauzer
I recently got a kit from Volkstoy Motorsports that included everything (belts, timing belt, idler roller, tensioner roller, tensioner, seals, thermo, thermo o ring, water pump and gasket) for $240 shipped!
That is an awesome deal!! Sorry to hijack...but have you installed/replaced everything yet? I am at about 180K and I need to replace all that stuff and I would like to learn how to do it myself, as well as save some $$$ so I would like to watch/help you replace yours and get some help with mine. I just don't know enough to feel comfortable to do it myself, and I don't have all the proper tools. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time/help and buy the
Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
That is an awesome deal!! Sorry to hijack...but have you installed/replaced everything yet? I am at about 180K and I need to replace all that stuff and I would like to learn how to do it myself, as well as save some $$$ so I would like to watch/help you replace yours and get some help with mine. I just don't know enough to feel comfortable to do it myself, and I don't have all the proper tools. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time/help and buy the
I just ordered the kit, I plan on going up to College Station to see my buddy Rob b/c he's done it before and has the special tool for the CS. If I feel confident enough after doing it with his guidance I'd be glad to help.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered the kit, I plan on going up to College Station to see my buddy Rob b/c he's done it before and has the special tool for the CS. If I feel confident enough after doing it with his guidance I'd be glad to help.
Thanks! I acually sent Rob a message asking him for help too...I will probably work with him to get something fabbed up for my Jerry Can mount that I talked about in the other thread so I asked him if he had any experience with it...Maybe we could do both of ours at the same time with Rob's help...

Okay no more hijacking, back to the original topic.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Thanks! I acually sent Rob a message asking him for help too...I will probably work with him to get something fabbed up for my Jerry Can mount that I talked about in the other thread so I asked him if he had any experience with it...Maybe we could do both of ours at the same time with Rob's help...
I was thinking that it might be too much for one day, but if you 2 think we could be organized enough about it we can do try to do both at the same time. Just keep the part piles seperate and the tools organized. I know we can fit them both in the garage at the same time and I can prob talk Sam into coming and lending a hand aswell.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM

With the $240 Ebay TB kit....

I'd replace the Motorad thermostat with an OEM (Kuzeh). I had a Motorad fail on me once (open) only days after out of the box in another vehicle. Otherwise it is a great, great deal on that kit.

Take some pics of the install and post them when done......
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I was thinking that it might be too much for one day, but if you 2 think we could be organized enough about it we can do try to do both at the same time. Just keep the part piles seperate and the tools organized. I know we can fit them both in the garage at the same time and I can prob talk Sam into coming and lending a hand aswell.
Def too much for one day (especially the way we work Rob)

Originally Posted by J2F42C
I'd replace the Motorad thermostat with an OEM (Kuzeh). I had a Motorad fail on me once (open) only days after out of the box in another vehicle. Otherwise it is a great, great deal on that kit.

Take some pics of the install and post them when done......
Thanks for the heads up, Volkstoy warranties all the parts but I may pick up a spare. Never hurts to have an extra t-stat

Last edited by Mauzer; 01-14-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM

I replaced mine with the Volkstoy kit yesterday at 157K. All original miles. The tensioner bearing was howling a little. Also, that same pulley had melted parts of the belt on it. The water pump was seeping as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Just a heads up, This tool is a must have for the 3.4 timing belt. I worked with the guy who sold this tool idea to Snap-on, it pushes against the water pump and tensioner so you can install the pin to keep tensioner back(huge time saver). I think they go for about $50 from your tool dealer.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM

I have a 1998 toyota 4runner and I recently replaced the timing belt, hydraulic actuator, and tensioner that sits on top of the hydraulic actuator. While replacing the tensioner, I would not tighten down but just started spinning when the bolt was all the way in. Is this normal or should the tensioner bolt be tight? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Toyota 4Runner Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement