Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1990 4RUNNER 2nd Gen - 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 4RUNNER 2nd Gen - 4 wheel drive

On the verge of buying a 2nd gen 4 runner, V6 1990 Auto. Everything about the truck is perfect, however it pulls to the right when 4 wheel is engaged. The truck also has a noticable vibration when 4 wheel drive is engaged.

I had the guy I would buy it from take it to his toyota mechanic.
The mechanic said somthing to the effect of a difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. Aparently it would pull to the right on dry pavement? This dosn't seem to make since, my father has a 98 4 runner and
it does not have this problem. Anyone have a similar problem or ideas....is this guy full of it or is this normal?
chrismattle@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second opinion

Originally Posted by chris3641
On the verge of buying a 2nd gen 4 runner, V6 1990 Auto. Everything about the truck is perfect, however it pulls to the right when 4 wheel is engaged. The truck also has a noticable vibration when 4 wheel drive is engaged.

The mechanic said somthing to the effect of a difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. Aparently it would pull to the right on dry pavement? This dosn't seem to make since, my father has a 98 4 runner and
it does not have this problem. Anyone have a similar problem or ideas....is this guy full of it or is this normal?
chrismattle@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help!
hey chris

i have a 93 v6 auto, when i test drove it i put it in 4wd and it didnt pull right or left. just dug in and went! maybe take it to a trusted mechanic for a second opinion, it shouldnt pull to either side in 4wd.

lee
Old 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a bad CV/shaft. Make them fix it. Look at the CV boots for evidence of a rip (grease everywhere around the joint - flung out of the boot). Front axles are only $80 or so from Autozone (with your old core)
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's certainly not normal. You'll also want to check to see if it has been in the shop to have the head gasket bolts/head gasket/engine replaced. Most of the 2nd generation 4Runners (including the '90 model) were part of a recall campaign to correct blown head gasket issues. You'll want to know 1) If you vehicle falls in the VIN # range for those affected by the recall, and 2) If the necessary service has been performed.

Ed
Old 07-14-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chris3641

chrismattle@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help!
Does this thing by chance have a limited slip diff in the front? You can jack up the front and check. That will make for a pull if the tire pressures are even slightly unequal. It is also possible that different pressure will cause a pull in an open diff but I can't say for sure, just something to check since the difference in radii and therefore torque might cause the pull.

As for 4wd on dry pavement, I have never tried it. The drive train will bind like hell when you turn. The truck has no diff in the t-case to allow for the front wheels to spin faster than the rear when turning.

Is the truck lifted at all? That will increase the front driveline angle and cause a vibe at speed.

Frank