Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

15K service

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15K service

Took my 03 Runner in for 20K service yesterday. They changed air filter, changed oil and filter and replaced plugs,plus checking fluids, rotating tires all for $285. I thought changing the plugs was a bit premature. Does this sound right? I thought a new car would keep me away from the big bills from the garage.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
air filter: $20 for a Toyota filter and drop it in yourself...
oil change: $20 or less at most toyota dealers
fluid check: FREE with oil change
spark plugs: $20 ($3 each) for platinums and 30 minutes to change them
tire rotation: $30 at NTB or somewhere like that and it includes balance/rotations for the life of the tires...

I come up with $110 plus a half-hour labor. That's $150 out the door...

To sum it up: You got RIPPED - sorry

Performing preventive maintenance and paying out the a$$ for "dealer services" are two TOTALLY different things...

Last edited by bamachem; 06-11-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:46 PM

According to the maintenance schedule, the plugs were unnecessary, the oil change should have been $19.95, the air filter is $18.00 at my dealer and takes 3 or 4 minutes to change. The fluid checking is worthless. So, you basically paid $285 for about $38.00 worth of stuff and labor that you really needed. They don't call them stealerships for nothing. Learn a little DIY maintenance and you will save a ton of money and be less likely to be overcharged when you do need work since you'll have a better understanding of what is involved. Sorry.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

I would get my money back for the plugs, they last till 60K I think. The air filter is only due at 30k (i change mine every 10k, dust roads), the air filter cost me almost $30 at the dealer.

Did they phone you to change the air filter and plugs? ALso post the breakdown of your bill. I bet the plugs where big $$$.

If they didn't phone you I would complaint at the service manager and Toyota till they give your $ back.

Did they give you the old plugs? I bet they charged you without changing. Check them tonight to see if they are new, take one out and see if it is still shiny.

Things like this just piss me off.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:06 AM

You did'nt sign a repair order for $285. ? You didn't ask what was included.?You didn't READ your owners manual(which decribes recommened services/mileage intervals)?You are complaining now?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey guys,

c'mon, lay off the guy. he probably isn't too experienced/knowledgable about these things, nor is he complaining. that's why he's asking.

steved: there is a stickied link inside the maintenance section. its a "maintenance engine website" which allows you to choose your vehicle type, year and mileage. the output will tell you what service items toyota recommends.

that said, i would say that your dealership was not giving you the best service by charging you and performing labor items that you didn't need. spark plug change at 15k is waaaaay to early.

as i've been in your position once from inexperience, its best to learn how to do these things yourself. even a crappy ass chilton's manual will show you how to do these things yourself. worth every penny to learn these things and do them by yourself. pride of ownership, i say!

bob
Old 06-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Bob,

Not giving him a hard time, what you say is correct but I also prefer to have scheduled maintenance done at the delaer to make warranty claims easier. However if the dealer can't proof the customer requesting to have the spark plugs and filter changed he has a good leg to stand on to get his money back. Also as they cant take back the parts or labor now, it will be a good lesson for the dealer to fork this $$ out of their own pocket.

Just my 2c. I really think he should kick their a$$.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

are you positive they did nothing else? because my stealer would have charged me about the same to do what you had done sans the plugs + they were going to do the diff fluid as well as the many other things listed in the maintenance schedule. i ended up doing it all myself (= priceless ), but what they said they were going to do at least sounded reasonable.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bulldog,

its all good. my apologies if i misinterpreted yours (and other's) messages. it just seemed that everyone was a little tough on him.

agreed re dealer not providing best customer service and ripping him off.

steved:

hard lesson learned hang around here, look, read and learn. we'll help you out.

bob
Old 06-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
bulldog,

its all good. my apologies if i misinterpreted yours (and other's) messages. it just seemed that everyone was a little tough on him.

agreed re dealer not providing best customer service and ripping him off.

steved:

hard lesson learned hang around here, look, read and learn. we'll help you out.

bob
bob,

no prob. i dont take things too seriously (on this forum that is), but i can't stand crooks and scam artists. and it seems so many dealers are just trying to rip people off, which drives me crazy.

oh by the way i printed your diff breather mod and ordered the union and plug today at the dealer, good write up thanks. As usual the guy at the parts desk had now idea what I was talking about until I showed him the printout, good thing I took it with. He is probably still thinking what the hell is a type R breather mod is
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 15K service does not include the incabin micro filter, that additional.

My dealer does at 15k, the engine oil and filter change
engine air filter is replaced
drain and refill the trans, flushing is done at 30k
change both front and rear diffs
change the transfer case fluid
grease the driveshaft, and torque it

All the main fluids are replaced, everything else is just inspected and they also advise that you can wait til 30k to do everything, I'd go back and complain they charged alot for the little they did and the plugs don't need to be changed for 120k