Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

12v power source?

Old 11-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12v power source?

I'm attempting to hardwire a radar detector for visor mount on a 96' Limited. The shortest and most concealed route to tap power seems to be from the sunroof switch housing.Can any one please tell me how to determine when looking at a wire harness what wires do I want to tap for power? Would I want to tap from the sunroof motor harness or can I tap the switch wires? Is there a color for ground or should I look to ground elsewhere?A red or black wire would seem logical for power but I dont know if the color codeing could be that simple(Its Toyota after all ). This source would meet my needs of having room and easy access for an inline fuse and for the detector to turn on and off with the ignition. Exuse my rambling post. I'm green to yotatech and attempting to aviod a trial and error method of cutting wires. Wish I had heard of you guys earlier, I would have saved myself some headaches and grey hairs Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Hardwiring

This might help

http://www.4runners.org/articles/valentine/

Old 11-06-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
phosho,

while mounting high is preferred, it does limit you from using your visor when its really sunny outside. that is why i used the windshield mount and hardwired like i did in my write up (referenced above).

i did consider doing what you are thinking, but from experience, mounting it above the dashboard seemed to be the best option. easy to remove/conceal when not in use too.

Bob
Old 11-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions Bob. For reference what I found was that the hotlegs running to the sunroof switches, sunroof motor and map lights were all colored blue at least on my 96' for whatever thats worth. When tapping the motor I only had power to the detector when holding down the sunroof open switch. I decided to remove the rearview mirror and maplight cover and tap the constant 12v source from the maplight(one wire/blue). The mounting screws from the maplight (4) are all grounded. I ran the wire through the headliner from the sunroof switchcover housing(3"max) so I could utilize the otherwise useless compartment for garage door openers. I ran the wire through one of the existing slats inside the holder without any drilling or iriversible damage and when not in use store the power cord in a closed compartment. From here a visor or high windshield mount can be used.The downside is having to turn the detector on and off manually. Im sure there was a way to manage that ignition on power but it took me too long to figure out what little I did. Not to mention some shedded wire. I guess doing things the hard way somtimes at least you learn a thing or two. For the record yes radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.