Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

$100+ to Whoever can help me w/ 4wd issue!! C'mon Electrical Gurus!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry $100+ to Whoever can help me w/ 4wd issue!! C'mon Electrical Gurus!

Here'e the scoop, I have a '99 LTD 4runner with the super fancy, pushy button AWD feature. (Can you tel I'm frustrated.)

In a nut shell no matter what position the controls are in, all I get is blinky, blinky from the status display (4 green + 1 orange LEDs). When I move the lever they stop for 3 seconds before blinking again.

After trying all the fix its I found around here, I ended up replacing 1 sensor on the tranfer case, and one solonoid from front ADD system in the engine bay on left fender. No dice.

I finally took it to my friend's dad who the local dealer's 4wd expert (over 15 some odd years experience), so I know I wouldn't get screwed. Long story short after looking it over for a day and a half he deduced that all sensors, solonoids, wiring (yup he tested every wire), and the motor that engages the front driveline from the transfer case, and the ADD sytem was working perfectly. He tried a bunch of tricks that he got after calling and talking to some Yota engineers. Nothing worked. So he deduced that the problem must lie in the 4wd ECU.

I went ahead and found the 4wd ECU one at a salvage yard in Oregon, and I went ahead and bought a new Elocker ECU (I'm guessing thats what it is, its the black module under the left kick panel that says 4wd). I just got both today and just put them in, and gues what, same thing.

Right now I have the battery cable unplugged in a vain attempt to try resetting the ECU. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Now the $REWARD$ part. Here's the deal I'm at wits end with this thing. I'm going to call up my friend tomorrow to see if he has any other ideas, but this ECU thing seemed like his last posible thought. So my question is, is there any kind of electrical magic to make the transfer case motor, the ADD actuator motor, and Locker do their jobs by moving the 4wd lever AND some after market switches. Basically bypass all the factory BS. If someone can come up with a system that works, I will gladly pay them AT LEAST $100, price is definitely flexible. I will definitley make it worth your time.

I'm comfortable with most wiring, but this is just beyond my grasp, especially since I don't have any diagrams to go off of.

Somebody
Old 04-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yoda-g2
Here'e the scoop, I have a '99 LTD 4runner with the super fancy, pushy button AWD feature. (Can you tel I'm frustrated.)

In a nut shell no matter what position the controls are in, all I get is blinky, blinky from the status display (4 green + 1 orange LEDs). When I move the lever they stop for 3 seconds before blinking again.

After trying all the fix its I found around here, I ended up replacing 1 sensor on the tranfer case, and one solonoid from front ADD system in the engine bay on left fender. No dice.

I finally took it to my friend's dad who the local dealer's 4wd expert (over 15 some odd years experience), so I know I wouldn't get screwed. Long story short after looking it over for a day and a half he deduced that all sensors, solonoids, wiring (yup he tested every wire), and the motor that engages the front driveline from the transfer case, and the ADD sytem was working perfectly. He tried a bunch of tricks that he got after calling and talking to some Yota engineers. Nothing worked. So he deduced that the problem must lie in the 4wd ECU.

I went ahead and found the 4wd ECU one at a salvage yard in Oregon, and I went ahead and bought a new Elocker ECU (I'm guessing thats what it is, its the black module under the left kick panel that says 4wd). I just got both today and just put them in, and gues what, same thing.

Right now I have the battery cable unplugged in a vain attempt to try resetting the ECU. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Now the $REWARD$ part. Here's the deal I'm at wits end with this thing. I'm going to call up my friend tomorrow to see if he has any other ideas, but this ECU thing seemed like his last posible thought. So my question is, is there any kind of electrical magic to make the transfer case motor, the ADD actuator motor, and Locker do their jobs by moving the 4wd lever AND some after market switches. Basically bypass all the factory BS. If someone can come up with a system that works, I will gladly pay them AT LEAST $100, price is definitely flexible. I will definitley make it worth your time.

I'm comfortable with most wiring, but this is just beyond my grasp, especially since I don't have any diagrams to go off of.

Somebody
First thing is to get yourself a factory service manual so you have the complete wiring diagram for that truck. I also don't recommend trying to go around the factory setup unless you understand how removing that system will affect the rest of the management ECUs. The ECU is there for a reason or Toyota would have saved money and done exactly what you are thinking of doing. ECUs are not cheap to develop or manufacture.

I remember seeing this problem before but I don't remember the solution right offhand....I will try to find for you.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:50 AM

Somebody
Ok, I'll take a stab at it... I had a similar problem not so long ago. In my particular situation, a transfer case indicator switch went bad. The stealer replaced it, part number: 84222-35080. This took care of my problem.

Another gentlemen had a similar problem and his stealer replaced (2) things, but one of them took care of the problem.
Part that did not address his problem: Actuator on tranny 36410-35051
Part that fix his problem: Front differential actuator 41400-35020

We also both have 99 LTD 4WD Runners so this part numbers should apply to your 99. The bad thing is that what to try first. Here's a link to the post where I reported this problem.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...ev=#Post462226

Good luck and let us know the outcome out of this.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

MTL_4runner: Where can I get a good deal on a factory service manual?? How much should I expect to spend?? Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by CTapia
Ok, I'll take a stab at it... I had a similar problem not so long ago. In my particular situation, a transfer case indicator switch went bad. The stealer replaced it, part number: 84222-35080. This took care of my problem.

Another gentlemen had a similar problem and his stealer replaced (2) things, but one of them took care of the problem.
Part that did not address his problem: Actuator on tranny 36410-35051
Part that fix his problem: Front differential actuator 41400-35020

We also both have 99 LTD 4WD Runners so this part numbers should apply to your 99. The bad thing is that what to try first. Here's a link to the post where I reported this problem.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...ev=#Post462226

Good luck and let us know the outcome out of this.

I read that link when I first found the problem, so that is kind of the direction I went in. I found one faulty switch on transfer case motor, and a bad vacuum solonoid on the front, which I replaced. Then the dealer checked every sensor and he said they all passed specs.

You have me curious though, what exactly was the front actuator he was talking about? Was it the sensor or a motor?? I'd be tempted to buy them and try them out. How much did they cost??

Thanks for the input!!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Nobody looks at page 2 over the weekends.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Nobody looks at page 2 over the weekends.
Not usually, you gotta bump it up!

OK, for a FSM, try ebay. They come up for sale pretty often.

The actuator is not a sensor, it is the motor itself.
You can take it out and apply power to test it manually.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added push button 4wd when I installed an MC09 on my 4Runner. The donor transfer case that I stole the shift fork, syncros,...ect from was off a limited 4Runner that the dealership had replaced by warranty. Well what happened on this bad transfer case was a throwen brush on the motor that moves the shift fork which caused the transfer case to be inbetween modes. I reseated the brush and it now works fine. The first thing I would try is to unplug the motor and apply 12 volts to it and see if works
Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Macgyver
I added push button 4wd when I installed an MC09 on my 4Runner. The donor transfer case that I stole the shift fork, syncros,...ect from was off a limited 4Runner that the dealership had replaced by warranty. Well what happened on this bad transfer case was a throwen brush on the motor that moves the shift fork which caused the transfer case to be inbetween modes. I reseated the brush and it now works fine. The first thing I would try is to unplug the motor and apply 12 volts to it and see if works
I'm assuming that you're talking about the motor that moves the fork that engages the front driveline into 2wd or 4wd? It sits on the lower left back half of the transfer case? If that is what you're talking about then the dealer already did just that. He said that he could manually make it shift in and out of 2wd and 4wd by applying jumpers to to the motor itself, plus I even got a whole "new" motor from a salvage yard that didn't help. Or are you talking about something else??

Today I just got the dealer to give me color print outs of the whole 4wd system, (until I can get a FSM) so I guess I'll just have to start double checking everything he already did.

Thanks for the help.
Keep the ideas coming.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

I'm assuming that you're talking about the motor that moves the fork that engages the front driveline into 2wd or 4wd? It sits on the lower left back half of the transfer case? If that is what you're talking about then the dealer already did just that. He said that he could manually make it shift in and out of 2wd and 4wd by applying jumpers to to the motor itself, plus I even got a whole "new" motor from a salvage yard that didn't help. Or are you talking about something else??

Today I just got the dealer to give me color print outs of the whole 4wd system, (until I can get a FSM) so I guess I'll just have to start double checking everything he already did.

Thanks for the help.
Keep the ideas coming.
If you can apply juice and make all the solenoid motors work then you need to use that wiring diagram and start checking voltages in key areas to narrow down what you re looking at.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:36 PM

MTL_4runner: Where can I get a good deal on a factory service manual?? How much should I expect to spend?? Thanks for the advice.

I read that link when I first found the problem, so that is kind of the direction I went in. I found one faulty switch on transfer case motor, and a bad vacuum solonoid on the front, which I replaced. Then the dealer checked every sensor and he said they all passed specs.

You have me curious though, what exactly was the front actuator he was talking about? Was it the sensor or a motor?? I'd be tempted to buy them and try them out. How much did they cost??

Thanks for the input!!
Are you referring to the part that the other guy replaced? if so, I don't have any further info other than what's already posted. You may want to shoot him a P.M or e-mail him as see if he can provide a better explanation on this part.
As for the item that the dealer replaced on my truck, it was covered under my extended warranty, therefore I don't know the cost of it.