Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1 of a kind 4R: shock recommendation, very light 3rd gen

Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 of a kind 4R: shock recommendation, very light 3rd gen

Ok maybe not 1 of a kind- there are 1 or 2 others out there. I have a 3rd gen 4R with an 87 body on it, converted by Iribis long ago as prototype I guess. I assume the 1st gen body makes it MUCH lighter than a regular 3rd gen. So before I get flamed or answered with a link to the FAQ, I have searched and read extensively on all the Toyota sites. This truck will need a more custom approach.

My thinking was this: both the Fabtechs and LC coils seem to be a bit soft for some people's taste according to what I've been reading, so a used pair of both might be a good start to lift my extra light rig. I put some used Fabtech coilovers on the front and used LC coils in the back, it still has the blue/yellow Bilstein shocks (stock?) that came on the rear. The ride, especially in the rear is horrible. Those Bilsteins rode perfect with the PP yellow coils that were on it. I wasn't going to keep those shocks, but just wanted to see what it felt like with the LC coils. They must be too short, or not a good match for the LC coils and the weight of my truck. The back end jumps all over washboard roads or just rough pavement and seems to rebound really hard. Maybe I don't fully understand the physics of suspension but the rear springs seem to "bounce" ok on soft dips and body roll is fine on tight/fast turns. The bumps are jarring though- moreso when there are lots of consecutive holes/bumps. That should be shocks, right? I was going to try a pair of new LC Tokicos to pair with the springs but I'm not sure if that is the right approach for something so much lighter than a LC. Before I buy them I wanted to get opinions from people with experience in different set ups.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that had a lift that was just too soft and why. I also would like advice on pairing those LC coils with maybe a more "comfort shock" to compensate for my lack of weight. Also interested in any different springs, like a comfort or progressive rate LC coil or another brand. Considering the truck, I may need to have a custom set up made for the weight if I want a more acceptable ride.

The front is rough too. I'm going to lower the coilovers a bit to see if that helps. I don't know the miles on the Fabtechs and wasn't sure how to check their performance without just trying them out. Any suggestions on rebuilding the Fabtech coilovers, again with a shock for a lighter load? Any other "too soft" front set ups? I could grab some used Downeys locally and try those too.

BTW I have driven other lifted trucks, I don't expect a soft/stock ride but my traction is severely sacrificed as it is now.

Thanks,
josh
Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Weight difference can't be that much different and I'm assuming a 3rd gen suspension. Lift it like a 3rd gen 4 Runner using the light options.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

I have been curious. I think I will try to take it to the interstate weigh station and see if they'll let me weigh it.

Yep the suspension is '01. I didn't even try to take the coil overs all the way up, I got 3" with quite a bit of threads still to go. I think it might be quite a bit lighter with that body. It's just basic thin 80's sheet metal and fiberglass topper (when it's on). I can tell you the doors weigh nothing, they slam closed way too easily... no interior safety beams, less electronics, wiring, etc. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM

have you posted pics that would be interesting to see. I would verify that your rear shocks are not maxed out in extension that will cause the ride to suck. The rear fiberglass topper is still pretty heavy so i would imagine the rear would be relativley close. When i had the wrong rear shocks on my 2nd gen it would bounce all over the place they were maxed out to.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
interested in pics....
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna see pictures of this thing!

Tofer ya beat me to it haha
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Fink
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

As I remember the interstate weigh stations will let you go through as well. That's how we weighed my boat a few years back in WI.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Another option to get a weight is to take it to a landscape stone vendor. Most of the time they sell stone by the weight.

I bought some landscape stone a few years ago and they weighed my truck going in and then again coming out. The differance was used to price the stone.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM

custom lift

Do most people find LC coils to be to soft? I put them on my 95 4r and ended up replacing them with OME coils. The LC coils for me were to heavy and lifted my truck around 4" causing drive line vibration. I had procomp es3000 shocks and they still seemed to have enough travel at that height which surprised me.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM

How rude of me! Here it is when I first got it this spring.

Besides the 3" lift I've since added a Load Warrior basket with 4 KC Daylighters (older style that I painted black), moved the rack back and painted the 2tone door panels black, working on all the interior trim. I got a back seat from a 2nd gen with a 2 piece back that I'm going to swap. Tires will be upgraded to skinny 33's on fj80 wheels when these wear out. CV boot change with slip mod and dif drop this weekend.

Has a few very minor mechanical and body issues. Runs great. Took it on a 1500 mile road trip to NM and lot's of Colorado backroads camping and backpacking this summer.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
I would verify that your rear shocks are not maxed out in extension that will cause the ride to suck.
That's possible, they have some droop but maybe not much.

Originally Posted by badattitude
Another option to get a weight is to take it to a landscape stone vendor.
Good idea!

Originally Posted by dewiseman
Do most people find LC coils to be to soft? I put them on my 95 4r and ended up replacing them with OME coils.
I guess that was my impression with the 3rd gens, I could have just read too much and started making things up though! They do lift a lot, I got 3" more than the Performance Parts springs that were already on there. Your 95 used the rear springs, right? Maybe those ride different.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

easy way to tell is loosen one end and see how far out it goes.

very clean i like that a lot
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting idea, i wounder how hard that is to do?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Interesting idea, i wounder how hard that is to do?
I personally would never consider trying it, especially since I don't weld and know nothing about fabrication but Irbis has done it to at least 1 other 4R and a few 60-series Cruisers I think. With a nice shop and access to some totaled donors- a body swap wouldn't be too bad. The body mount gussets had to be relocated, some trimming on the rear fender, and some bumper brackets looks like about it for fab work. I saw pictures of a body hoisted over the rolling chassis. Re-wiring, lines, etc would be a little tedious.

The interior has some weird little gaps... the new steering column, cluster and ignition are different so the trim doesn't line up perfectly around the dash/ignition switch. I'm going to try my luck at fusing some pieces from both models to finish it better.

He did a lot of custom fab and specialized in Toyota maintenance. I think he closed the fab part of the business but still comes highly recommended in the Denver area as a mechanic.

It has a "built from salvage" title and is registered as an 86. No problems passing CO emissions. I paid taxes on an 86 . I only paid $3500 for it which is a steal I think. Clean 1st gens can go for that much around here, and I'd never find an 01 for that. Cool little truck, so weird to drive an older looking Toyota that doesn't creak, squeak and rattle with stinky humming exhaust.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM

That's pretty neat!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and i thought id seen it all
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think you will be able to find replacements. Time to sell the truck. I'll take that burden off your hands for $2000.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

there should be a "LIKE" button in here so we can "LIKE" pictures
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM

I've been thinking now about using rear Tundra lift shocks. Looks like the same stud top/eye bottom shock. A HD Tundra shock might be a closer match to my rear weight than a stock LC shock. My rear lifted over 3" with the smallest LC coils, from where it sat with PP lift coils, it must be lighter than even the most stock, unloaded 3rd gen. Maybe I just need to weigh it.

let's talk rears '
LC-80 is heavier than a 4R?
pre-07 Tundra is much lighter than a 4R?
newer Tundra should weigh more, but still lighter than a 3rd gen?
my conversion Runner is heavier than a 07+ Tundra/lighter than a 3rd gen 4R?

Considering that shocks typically used on lifted 4R's for are generally stiffer than stock, wouldn't it be logical that a HD pickup shock might be a better shock for me? I don't see any comfort shocks used on 4R's that would compensate for the lighter than stock load but still travel enough for a lift.

I am also considering changing the top mount to an eye to have more shock options.

Any thoughts on adjustable shocks? I don't want to buy something that I'm unhappy with and taking a dive selling it to try again. Done that before.

Just looking for a decent ride on the road that will keep traction and not be too rough on dirt roads. Most of my driving is in town and HWY, 20% or less is rough service roads, with some occasional slow wheeling, crawling suspension is not a concern. I plan on using some air bags since I do tow a trailer sometimes.