Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

05 Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Pathfinder

It is obviously the Dunehawk concept suv (for the show circuit) but it looks like this will be the new Pathfinder to go head-to-head with our 4runner

Someone posted this on the nissan xterra board
Old 09-06-2003, 12:43 PM

Wow... with the exception of the brake lights and the rear hatch, I have to say it looks better than the brand new 4Runners. But that doesn't take much... I am not a big fan of the futuristic, anti-aerodynamic, load it up with plastic look that new cars are taking on. But that thing can only take on the 4Runner if its capable on the trail, otherwise it will be soccermom battles.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A must for the 2005 Pathfinder is the Endurance V8 with 300hp looks nice but I'll wait to make my final decision when it's sitting on dealer lots, I remember the 4th Gen 4Runner pics they looked like a 3rd gen with a rav4 nose.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
That is just ugly, but the new 4Runner doesn't will any beauty contests either.

I'll take my 3rd Gen anyday.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:07 PM

Why do you guys hate the 4Runner so much? It's an evolutionary design and has alot of respect for it's older generation 4R's.

The only complaint I have is that the front bumper is too low. Otherwise, I love it. It is not the "wow, totally new!" design, but in 5-10 years people will say, "Yeah, the 4Runner- solid, good looking and a Toyota." The "wow!" designs usually start looking really dated really fast (Do I have to mention the Frontier?)

I think Toyota did a great job with it, which is why I bought it.

I like the Dunehawk design. Nissan's been on a roll lately but they have always been that way- really trendy. Very few of them stick. One of the few "wow" designs that stuck was the original Pathfinder/hardbody.

4Runner has always been "highline" and solid design, but never a "wow" design. That's another reason I like it! It's a mature design.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by FirstToy
Why do you guys hate the 4Runner so much? It's an evolutionary design and has alot of respect for it's older generation 4R's.

The only complaint I have is that the front bumper is too low. Otherwise, I love it. It is not the "wow, totally new!" design, but in 5-10 years people will say, "Yeah, the 4Runner- solid, good looking and a Toyota." The "wow!" designs usually start looking really dated really fast (Do I have to mention the Frontier?)

I think Toyota did a great job with it, which is why I bought it.

I like the Dunehawk design. Nissan's been on a roll lately but they have always been that way- really trendy. Very few of them stick. One of the few "wow" designs that stuck was the original Pathfinder/hardbody.

4Runner has always been "highline" and solid design, but never a "wow" design. That's another reason I like it! It's a mature design.
Some people just can't handle change. I for one like the new design, I also like the 3rd gens. and the 2nd gens. They are still the best looking midsize SUV out there.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:49 PM

UGLY!
Old 09-06-2003, 04:53 PM

it dont look that bad actually except for the windows in the cargp area and rear hatch are fugly shapes...im kinda diggin the dual sunroofs...
Old 09-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Bud

Nissan Dunehawk: I actually like it but i know i dont look good in it.

A bud of mine has the Infiniti FX45, fuglee vehicle but lots and lots of power/gizmo/$$.

I actually saw a pathfinder armada 2weeks ago on the freeway, huge vehicle; about the same size as the Sequioa.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

I kinda like the looks of that and Nissan has a good reputation for making a decent ride. I think it sits kind of sporty and I wish my Runner had a rear hatch system like that in the first pic! It is a little too futuristic, but then again its a concept or show ride.

I had the same feelings about change when they made my 95 Taco's relatives look like the Nissan Frontier with its color coded packages and aero dynamic designs. I was kind of irritated they would have made such an ugly truck out of the Toyota Pickups of yesterday. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I do in fact like the design of the Tacos, but when the changes first occurred I was disappointed to say the least.

I've seen many sweet ride designs come and go, never to be owned by me because they were pieces of crap.

Reliability, design, convenience, and power on the other hand are ultimately what led to my decision.

Happy owner of a not-so-ugly 4th Gen.

Doug
Old 09-06-2003, 05:33 PM

Yota on Yota hatred:cry: we need to have a group get together with all the Generations and find out what the real reason is behind all this hate aimed at the 4th gen, is it the powerful drivetrains maybe it's cause your parents did not hold you as a child or worse yet your mother did not breast feed you, they say kids who went with out their mothers milk are just not right.

I could see this on the next episode of Dr.Phil, why 4Runner owners hate the new 4Runners, his solution "stop hating"

I for 1 don't care for the 1st gens but I think the 2nd and 3rd Gens are the best looking vehicles on the road.

FirstToy
I would not consider the Frontier an outdated design, it fits but when you look at it, dollar for dollar the Tacoma is just a better buy, now outdated is the Murano, sure it looks cool now but 3 years from know it's gonna look 10 years old.

Bud
did you know the Armada is actually bigger than the Expedition and does 0-60 in 7 seconds in RWD form
Old 09-06-2003, 05:34 PM

A word to describe the design of 4Runners - "Timeless" I get folks asking about my 2nd gen like it's a new model (if they only knew) Makes me feel good about the ol' beast anyway...

3rd Gen is evolutionary - also timeless.

4th Gen is a departure from the 4Runner styling we've grown accustomed to - like the 05 Finder is for Nissan. Time will tell on both of those. I, for one, have grown to like the looks of the 4th Gen (I did NOT like it when it came out) The Finder will take no time to get used to since I like it quite a bit from what I'm seeing already. These automotive stylists know a hell of a lot more about vehicle design than me - I'm just a lowly consumer...

EDIT: The engineers on the other hand are not hearing our cries - looks like IRS on the back of that Nissan. Not that the current live axle Finder is a formidable off road machine anyway...

Last edited by Cebby; 09-06-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:36 PM

Where's Lefty, I think all the members like his 4th Gen
Old 09-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Two quick points:

-The true classic owners are the loyalists who still drive the FJ55 with the original F engine.

-Change can be very painful, Do you remember going through puberty!

Doug M.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by 02Runner
-Change can be very painful, Do you remember going through puberty!

Doug M.
No, Im still going thrugh it friends always ask me when Im gonna stop growing and my skin is just starting to clear up, and Im 24
Old 09-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Nissan's new design kicks butt, well see how well it performs.

I also like the new 4th gen 4runner design except I hate squared off wheel wells!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:37 PM

Toyota had a section on the design of the 4Runner that was very interesting. They had a couple full-size models that showed some interesting concepts.

One looked like the 4th gen with round wheel wells. It didn't look right. It made it look too "light", off-balance with the 4th gen's proportions.

I've said it before but Toyota has the best 3-D modellers in the business. That's what makes the 2nd, 3rd gen stand out from an ordinary 2-box suv.

1st gen is more graphic in it's design, which is how Nissan approaches design. Even the Murano, it is actually graphic/line based and heavily influenced by Renault.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:34 PM

To back my comments really quickly, I know where Toyota came from with the design of the new 4Runner, it takes some of its cues from the 1st gen. The windows towards the back share the same shape as the rear shell of firstgens. I also know that the new trend is more futuristic, but with the 2nd and 3rd gens they were round, and actually look a little smaller than the 4th gen. I think from the factory 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens are just a whole lot more appealing. In my book, smooth lines will win out over boxy futuro looks anyday (with the exception of Cadillac who seems to have the formula down... but then there's the escalade )

There are exceptions to everything, and I am willing to look at any modded 4th gens, and I may give a thumbs up of approval, but as I see soccer mom after soccer mom driving bone stock 4runners... Well, its time for this pot to stop calling the kettle black, since my truck ain't much to look at either.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 09-06-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:48 PM

here's some more pics of the dunehawk
dunehawk
Old 09-06-2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
There are exceptions to everything, and I am willing to look at any modded 4th gens, and I may give a thumbs up of approval, but as I see soccer mom after soccer mom driving bone stock 4runners... Well, its time for this pot to stop calling the kettle black, since my truck ain't much to look at either.
Sure their are alot of Soccer Moms driving 4th Gen 4Runners but nomore than the 3rd and 2nd Gens that are around, but I will say their is a much hotter class of Soccer Moms driving 4Runners and if you don't believe me just sit in a mall parking lot and watch the lard ass women who animal their way in an out of Expeditions and Suburbans, damn shame if you ask me cause a woman is a work of art and those peaces have been destroyed:pat: I sure as hell have seen some hot azz in 4Runners, so as long as the 4Runner attracts hot girls then fine I even know more than a few girls between 20-25 that dig my 4Runner and want one but don't have the $$$, but all in good time cause their hot and it's OK, if they get fat then an Expedition with a seat made for a larger individual is their calling

Quick Reply: 05 Pathfinder