Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

04 V8 S/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 04 V8 S/c

A friend of mine just bought a 04 V8 Limited and was asking me if I could find out how well the V8 S/C worked. I recall someone on here that was not happy with it but wanted more advise if possible. The stealer gave him a price of 3K installed. I don't know if any other work is needed like Gadgets mods for the V8. It doesn't seem like there is many on the board that has S/c'd a V8 so any advise at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD is not making SC's for the V8 at this time. I would not buy a SC for the V8 until TRD starts to give the OK again- there are some very serious issues between Toyota and TRD being worked out.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
TRD is not making SC's for the V8 at this time. I would not buy a SC for the V8 until TRD starts to give the OK again- there are some very serious issues between Toyota and TRD being worked out.
Thats interesting. Figures this dealer would try to sell one then. What type of issues? I would assume computer related. On a side note... a friend I work with just put a PSC1 Ati Procharger on a 04 4X4 Silverado X-cab. That thing moves! It came with bigger injectors and computer. He also put facorty GM performance heads on. Really nice package. came from superchargersforless.com Anyway, TRD really seems to be going down hill. They always have issues.
Anyway, he is pretty motivated to SC this 4runner so I will update if he goes another route. He is a 911 nut and has a tricked out 94 911 turbo that was built by a performance shop in FL so I'm sure he will try something.

What about this post? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/trd-scd-4runner-tested-45829/

I'm somewhat confused? So is this SC an option?

Last edited by lbrunner; 11-26-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:06 PM

Alright, here is the real scoop. I have been in good contact with TRD, as well as many others regarding this situation. The 03 and 04 internals are not strong enough to handle the boost that the blowers were putting on them...the rods and pistons to be exact. This is why the blowers were yanked from the market.

Here is the update. TRD says they are planning on re-introducing the blowers this coming february, but say is could be as late as april or may. They are only going to encourage the TRD superchargers for the 05+ 4.7L's as those blocks have been fixed and corrected. So, anyone who wants to run a blower on their 4.7L Runner is best to wait and purchase an 05'.

On a side note...I can assure you that someone is already working out a rod and piston upgrade for the rest of us who want blowers for our 03's and 04's. I will keep you all posted. I hope this helps.

Anthony
Old 11-26-2004, 07:36 PM

Have you by chance driven an 05' 4Runner with the V8? How much stronger is the VVTI motor in comparison to the 03'-04'? I know the HP and Torque numbers but I want the opinion from someone who has driven both. Is it a huge difference?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
Alright, here is the real scoop. I have been in good contact with TRD, as well as many others regarding this situation. The 03 and 04 internals are not strong enough to handle the boost that the blowers were putting on them...the rods and pistons to be exact. This is why the blowers were yanked from the market.

Here is the update. TRD says they are planning on re-introducing the blowers this coming february, but say is could be as late as april or may. They are only going to encourage the TRD superchargers for the 05+ 4.7L's as those blocks have been fixed and corrected. So, anyone who wants to run a blower on their 4.7L Runner is best to wait and purchase an 05'.

On a side note...I can assure you that someone is already working out a rod and piston upgrade for the rest of us who want blowers for our 03's and 04's. I will keep you all posted. I hope this help

Anthony

Thanks alot for the advise and info guys. You would think all toyota dealers would stop selling them if TRD feels the V8's are not strong enough. My friend will be very disappointed about this but i'm sure he will do whatever it takes to S/C it and make it reliable. Please post if you here of anything. I'm going to send him here and watch the sickness take hold from a distance!!

Kaneman, thats what I'm waiting for, the 282hp 05 4runner! I know the 282hp Sequioa is out. Saw one on the dealer lot. Not sure about the 4runner but it has to be even better!

Last edited by lbrunner; 11-26-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:59 PM

the real scoop?

anyway, Toyota did make a change to the V8 but would not admit to TRD. TRD only found out by tearing down blown motors. TRD has many disassembled engines to prove their point. Bottom line is don't buy the SC for the V8. Toyota and TRD will work it out.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Banned

what's funny? i'd like a SC for mine after they work it out!

but snide comments aside, FT, - it sounds like you and anthony are saying the same thing -- that Toyota changed the v8. you both are saying that if someone wants the SC for the 4.7L, it would be best to wait for the '05s or later, whenever Toyota and TRD work out their issues!

Last edited by r0cky; 11-26-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

I've had the sc on my V8 for over a year now with no problems what so ever. The boost is consistant, and always available when I want it. I've pushed my rig pretty aggresively and it responds every time. I've spoken to TRD several times and always I've been assured that there are no problems with the sc and that my engine will hold up to the boost.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:25 AM

Victor,
PM me. You can get the details straight from the horse's mouth.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 AM

The engines are blowing up, hmmm :pat: so how much is this rod and piston upgrade gonna cost or is it eventually gonna be all included work done by the dealer, will it still be covered by warranty.

I don't get it, the 4.7 was suppost to be a beast of an engine suddenly Toyota used weaker parts to expand production for the 4Runner and GX probably to keep cost down, I guess it true when the supply of something is increased quality slips, will the engine still last as long without the SC.

FirstToy I sent you a PM, and no wonder the dealer was giving me the runaround
Old 11-27-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
the real scoop?

anyway, Toyota did make a change to the V8 but would not admit to TRD. TRD only found out by tearing down blown motors. TRD has many disassembled engines to prove their point. Bottom line is don't buy the SC for the V8. Toyota and TRD will work it out.
First of all, I am not even gonna begin to play your games mr. FT.

Ok, as stated by Vic, there ARE many people running the TRD supercharger on the 03 and 04 4.7L blocks, and these blocks are holding up just fine. It is more or less a scenario where if TRD/Toyota is going to warranty these blowers like they have always done in the past, they want to make sure the set up is bulletproof. To say that TRD and Toyota are not in communication about solving this problem is ridiculous. As far as I know, the "T" in TRD stands for Toyota, so I can assure all of you that this has been a group effort in resolving this issue and not Toyota hiding anything from TRD or vice versa. This is not something to scare any of you who are currently running the blowers on your pre 05 blocks, but just something to be aware of.

NE has a client with an 05 Runner on order that will receive a TRD supercharger asap and hit the dyno very soon after for some continued tuning as well as to obviously check the hp and torque figures.

I had no idea Mr. Ed was hanging out on this forum, but in that case, welcome to the forum horsey!

Anthony

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 11-27-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
First of all, I am not even gonna begin to play your games mr. FT.

Ok, as stated by Vic, there ARE many people running the TRD supercharger on the 03 and 04 4.7L blocks, and these blocks are holding up just fine. It is more or less a scenario where if TRD/Toyota is going to warranty these blowers like they have always done in the past, they want to make sure the set up is bulletproof. To say that TRD and Toyota are not in communication about solving this problem is ridiculous. As far as I know, the "T" in TRD stands for Toyota, so I can assure all of you that this has been a group effort in resolving this issue and not Toyota hiding anything from TRD or vice versa. This is not something to scare any of you who are currently running the blowers on your pre 05 blocks, but just something to be aware of.

NE has a client with an 05 Runner on order that will receive a TRD supercharger asap and hit the dyno very soon after for some continued tuning as well as to obviously check the hp and torque figures.

I had no idea Mr. Ed was hanging out on this forum, but in that case, welcome to the forum horsey!

Anthony
EDWARD has been hanging around this forum for a long time...ignorance knows no bounds but EDWARD is glad to put it on display, regularly.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 AM

Old 11-27-2004, 11:19 AM

Well it would be nice if everyone would post their information and sources...

When I bought my 4runner in Jan '04, I was assured by the stealer that they would have the supercharger in within a week of my purchase... Well, still no supercharger. Long conflict with stealer aside, Toyota blames TRD for the ECU problems and says TRD is a seperate company, nothing they can do. TRD has been less than helpful to me.

lbrunner, I am sure your friend will find plenty of other things to spend his time, energy, and $ on to exploit all of the other assetts of his new Toy just like me.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

ok so what is the real story on the 03/04 V8 then??? are they inferior to the tundra V8s, the 05 V8s apart from VVTi??
Old 11-27-2004, 03:26 PM

I spoke with Toyota this past Wednesday about this and was told the problem was the computer could not keep up with the SC, and the piggy-back unit was not doing the job. They said the SC would be re-released when they could include a new computer with it.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JPSDPT
I spoke with Toyota this past Wednesday about this and was told the problem was the computer could not keep up with the SC, and the piggy-back unit was not doing the job. They said the SC would be re-released when they could include a new computer with it.
Ok, so it's not the internals of the engine?? I know a few people had trouble with the management system after they installed the S/C. SOme were just fine ask Biff

Can anybody check the the rod and piston part # of a 03/04 4R vs a 05 4R or Sequia/Tundra? That way we will know.

I'll be happy if it is not the internals. I thought the V8 was bulletproof, hopefully I'm right.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:21 AM

someone post some facts cause this I heard and talked to someone but can't say stuff is a pain

Quick Reply: 04 V8 S/c