Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 Sport 4x4 with AP spotted

Old 06-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Sport 4x4 with AP spotted

Driving through the TJ Maxx parking lot and spotted a rig with the above description. It was a black sport 4x4 similar to my gray cladded ride. At first it was catchy, all black, everything. That is cool, reminds me of my '02 Sport 4x4, it was all black. The roof rack, trim above trailer hitch and cladding/bumpers were all shiny black, the ridges in the overfenders are still there. But what my wife reminded me of was I bought the 4Runner to take off road and the drive on the dusty, rocky farm. That glossy black paint WILL get the chips, scratches and wear, my grey cladded vehicle will hold up much better for what I like to do with it. The all color scheme is a cool ride for 99% city dwellers and occasional country drive, but the grey tough cladding is what I really liked and it is a breeze to wash and clean. Just my opinion. Remember, I had an '02 Sport with black glossy paint and can attest to the chips, scratches, tar and primer spots after 35K miles. The grey hasn't proven itself yet, but if it is like my other previous Toy's, it vehicle should hold up well. Please I have a very rare model. Six years from now people will say, "remember those grey '03's, they were cool and are built like a tank." The all black spotted above must have been on the road awhile, there was a ton of brake dust on the front wheels and permanent tags. No camera with me, sorry. I know it is like the fish story, but I am vindicated and feel relaxed that my grey is as cool looking as the AP. I can sleep again!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

my grammar, spell checking and syntax are all evident of my lack of sleep.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:15 PM

Here, Here! Gray cladding rocks! I have to say, I was a little peed off at Toyota when I found out they changed the cladding to solid body color. The only thing that worries me is getting parts for this truck 8 yrs. from now. Only a limited amount manufactured with the cladding. I don't know how Toyota is about this? I have the silver color and people say to me that they like the 2 tone look. Here's a couple questions on the plastic cladding care if anyone can answer.

1. How do you get small scratches out of the plastic cladding? Is it possible?

2. What can be done to keep the gray plastic from fadding?

I agree that the plastic is much better than having all those paint chips. My last truck had solid body color. In 4 yrs. the bumper was all speckled with chips. Hey, less to wax now too!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't think they would have a touchup kit, paint or paste? I don't have any visible scratches....yet. I did use some bug gone on a small spot, but then washed with a good soap/wax bath. The material seems pretty sturdy and tough, if it fades I just hope it is even. The cladding material is very similar to my Subaru. The Sub has about 16K miles and the cladding is holding up great! After a nice bath, the vehicle looks like the day we brought it home. Can't really say that about my past fully painted cars/trucks. If they offer the cladding again in the future it would be sweet in different colors....black, green, tan.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:05 PM

Cladding

Just bought a 2003 Gray 4runner a couple of days ago. So far I love it. It doesn't have the JBL system (damn) but here it is very hard to find a 4wd for some reason. There were 42 4runners on the lot with 2 4wd. I just couldn't make myself buy a 2wd 4runner. Just didn't seem right to me. Go figure. ANYWAY. I wonder about the cladding too. My cladding has some type of medalish flake in it. I took it to the dealership body guy and he looked it up and all the SR5 and Sports have the same cladding. It is not painted so it must be in the mold. I hope that it holds up well. That is the only thing that kept me from buying it on day one. I tell you what, to me that cladding looks very odd on anything but the silver,gray and black 4runners. I talked to the dealer and they said that it has not been warmly excepted by consumers. There is a option to get painted sides like the limited on the others now. I believe that cladding has some to do with the deal that I got. I did not expect them to say yes to even close to what I offered. The truck MSRP'ed for 37,200 w/leather (didn't think that you could get that on a sport either) I got it for 34,400. I think that was a fair deal. And OHHHHHHHHHHHH the V-8. Oh my. I love my 92 but man what a differance. I took it out to the sand bar today to check out all the tech stuff and it all works but it is very auditble too. Anyway I love it so far. I also would like to know the best way to care for the cladding. hopefully someone will know something. Oh one thing. I read somewhere that this runner has a limited slip diff. I can't find it anywhere on my paperwork thought. Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

When you say 'paperwork' do you mean options list? The limited slip is a Torsen and since you have the V8 4x4 the limited slip is always open until you push your lock button to the left of your steering wheel.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:24 AM

Diff

Yeah I looked over all the crap again and it looks like they are talking about the center diff. Nothing mentioned about the front or rear diff. Probably not, considering the traction control and all.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Sac State:

Off topic but how do you like the sound of the dual borla? Does it have a nice sound to it?
Old 06-17-2003, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Angry

Yes, I promised a pic and perhaps sound bite of the exhaust. Sorry, been busy at work and weekend attending many weddings that my wife has me obligated. I like the sound, not too loud or obnoxious. I can definately hear a hum when driving at 55-65. The system seems to be mellowing now that I have 1300 miles on it. It does wake up the neighbors when I crank her up in the early morning hours. I have averaged about 19.3 mixed driving on 89/93 octane, so the system does not have an appreciable effect on mileage. According to my dealer, this is the only Borla system that they have sold, I am concerned that when I take it to the dealer for service their mechanics will want to take it out to hot rod.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

bryontro

Are you from LA, Los Angeles or LA, Louisiana?
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 AM

I am currently stationed at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana which is in the Shreveport/Bossier City area. Northwest corner of the state.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

I am originally from Alexandria/Bunkie.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:33 PM

Borla

Sac State,
I would like to see and hear that Borla system that you got. With it being a semi small V-8 liters whise. I am curious on how it sounds. I have always been a Chevy guy until lately. I still like the tahoe but after driving them back to back there was definitely a quality differance between the trucks.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:11 PM

Re: Cladding

Originally posted by bryontro
Just bought a 2003 Gray 4runner a couple of days ago. So far I love it. It doesn't have the JBL system (damn)

JBL system = crap. You are MUCH MUCH better to go with an aftermarket system. An alpine or pioneer headunit is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than stock, not to mention the JBL "speakers" as THEY call them...get some aftermarkets....MB Quarts or something would be 100x better.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:38 PM

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I was very impressed with the sound of the JBL system in a limited that I looked at first. My van that I traded had 400 watts with a single 10 inch (non ported) sub in the back. It was all aftermarket and had a good balanced sound so I apreciate audio. I liked the way the JBL sounded and at $650 or so for the upgrade I thought that it would have been reasonable. However I don't have it and I will end up doing my own system sooner or later so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

bryontro

Did you get 4x4 in that Sport?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:49 AM

Thumbs up Re: bryontro

Originally posted by Sac State
Did you get 4x4 in that Sport?
YES I DID! Almost didn't because my wife didn't like the cladding thing too much(neither did I at first). But too get a Limited with what we wanted option wise I would have had to give up the 4x4 and the v-8 to stay in our price range. My wife knows me and said that I would regret it if I didn't get what I wanted so we went with the sport and had a moon roof and rear spoiler added on. The moon roof is being put in by an authorized Toyota 3rd party installation company. They use the OEM parts to put it in. I will let you knowhow the fit and finish is. They swear that it will look factory in everyway. I am still somewhat nervous about it.
Oh did I mention what I thought about that V-8. WoooHooo. Man does that thing go. I have had a 92 MR2 turbo, 67 Camaro, and I still own a 98 Honda interceptor and this thing still impresses me. Not as fast but considering the weight and 4x4 is it definitely worthy of respect. TRD released the supercharger for it as well. The wife saw me looking at it and told me NO WAY. She has her limits. I think I will wait until something comes out with an intercooler anyway. HEHE.. I read an article that posted 7.6 to 60 mph and 15.9 in the 1/4 at almost 90mph. Now people that is not slow for this type of vehicle. If I remember correctly a late model impala SS was running 15.7 in the 1/4. You could almost say that this truck hauls!! WoooooooHoooooooo! Can't wait to tow my boat. Probably will not know it is back there...
Old 06-18-2003, 08:06 AM

Question sac state

Originally posted by Sac State
Please I have a very rare model. Six years from now people will say, "remember those grey '03's, they were cool and are built like a tank." but I am vindicated and feel relaxed that my grey is as cool looking as the AP.
What is AP? I thought yours was black? Is there something that I don't know about concerning the rareness of the toy's?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

AP=Appearance package, aka. painted cladding
Old 07-18-2003, 03:11 PM

Hey did you ever get any sound bytes of the Borla dual exhaust up. I would love to hear how it sounds before i get it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 Sport 4x4 with AP spotted