Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 HVAC recirc button

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 HVAC recirc button

Everytime I start the truck, it automatically resets to turn on the recirc button. Even if I turn it off (fresh air), as soon as I turn off the truck and back on the recirc is on again.

Anyone know how to bypass this or know the reason why Toyota loves recirc?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Standardization. Make everything repetitive and you can refine the process. aka reliability.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:40 PM

Recirc Control

This happens in our '03 only when the cabin temp is above the outside air temp. But it happens even when the climate control is set to the manual mode, which is inexcusable!

I think the assumption is that you'll have the A/C on, and this is the fastest way to cool the interior. However, mine behaves that way even in the manual mode with the A/C off, which is exactly the opposite you'd want to have happen.

IMHO, this is one dumb bit of design. Going beyond this foible, the "auto" climate control setting works so poorly in warm weather that I've given up on it. Quite a disappointment. By way of contrast, out 5-series BMW works very well. It's perpetually set to "auto" and does exactly the right thing all the time. Toyota should take a look.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

I have left mine on auto since the day I got it and have had no issues with it. I leave it on recirc since it is so hot here and I don't care for the humid air getting sucked in. Not to mention the traffic fumes.

There are a couple other threads going around about AC and using recirc vs fresh. I may try and see if turning it on fresh a mile or so from my destination to "flush it out" as was suggested in the other posts. I have noticed that when I start the truck with the auto engaged, the AC doesn't come on right away. It takes a couple of seconds to spin up.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:10 PM

I do know a couple things about modern A/c in cars. One is that yes it is ideal for you to turn it on fresh and turn off the a/c before you reach your destination so the condensation buildup doesn't sit inside and begin to mold over time- but I think this is for extended useage, like if you drove for acouple hours with the a/c on.

The a/c delay on startup minimizes the stress on the engine so I'm glad that is built in now.

You are suppossed to turn on your a/c at least once a month to prevent the seals and stuff from drying out.

Yes, many times I prefer fresh/no a/c and the windows open so it is annoying. I guess it would be nice if I had the a/c going all the time. Lexus has the same feature/problem and it annoyed me driving it also.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things having to press a button. It's just too bad you can't defeat it!

Last edited by FirstToy; 07-30-2003 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

I went to lunch today and turned mine on fresh and the AC works a lot less efficiently in the heat here. When I got back to work I parked, turned off the AC and left it for the afternoon.

Sure enough, when I left work, started the truck and pressed the AUTO button recirc light came on. Sometime during the ride home though, it automatically switched back to fresh! I left it like that and when I parked there was a noticably bigger puddle where the condensation had drained out than previously.

When fresh is on it just sucks in WAY to much hot, humid air for me. I like it "nipple hard" cold inside.

I think I'll just do fresh the last mile home and leave it like that overnight and put in on recirc when driving.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:19 AM

Woodbert,
Yes I agree the fresh setting is not efficient in cooling. I do the exact same thing as you.

I think you're right, they assume you use the a/c so it starts on recirc and somewhere along the line when the temp. gods feel it's ok, switches to fresh. That would be OK if I used the a/c all the time... I'll have to let the system alone and see what happens. Good observation, though.

Also from the past, it's just become a habit for me to turn off the a/c button/put in fresh setting (leave the fan going) when I'm almost to home. Honestly, I don't think it's something to do unless you have been driving with the a/c on for a long time or in really humid/hot conditions.
I don't do it if I have guests in the car, I just turn it to fresh and leave the a/c on so they don't get uncomfortable.

I think this stops the moldy smell later in the vehicle's life. I read about this in a owners manual years back and have done it ever since. I'm going to read up the 4Runner's manual to see if they suggest the same.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:21 AM

I actually called Toyota about this. It’s a total PIA as far as I’m concerned.

As far as I know, here’s how it works. The climate control takes a look at the temperature you’ve selected with the up/down buttons, and compares that to the actual inside temperature. If the difference is greater than some preset amount, it assumes you want maximum cooling, and goes into re-circulate.

However, it does this even if you don’t have the A/C on. It also does it even if you are in manual mode. I can see it happening if A/C is on, or in auto mode, but otherwise not. What’s the point of manual mode if the system overrides it? How can you get maximum cooling if the A/C is not on?

After I park in the sun for a while, the first thing I want to do when I start it up is to flush out the hot, stale stagnant air. It’s hard to do this in re-circulate mode. Once the hot air is flushed out, then I turn on the A/C and re-circulate.

Tom
2003 Sport Edition 4X4 V8