Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 cladding replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 cladding replacement

First of all, the grey cladding has grown on me. But there are plenty of people who do not like it, and I may grow tired of it. There was a rumor floating around that Toyota would make available a dealer conversion kit to convert the grey cladding into mono-color(same color) cladding. No pricing or availability was mentioned. Has anyone heard or seen this rumor or could expand the topic?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:45 AM

Haven't heard anything about one, but I'd suspect one is not available. Instead, you could always see if a local body shop would get the pieces for you -- they must have access to them to handle wrecks.

By the way, I agree with you -- I like the cladding. Because of it, I have a unique 4Runner that's easy to recognize in the parking lot. If I had the new color-keyed cladding, I'd want a different color than titanium -- the all-titanium look strikes me as boring. The blue or gold would look great.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

I also find that the all same color Runners look un-proportional. All one color makes the new Runner look loooong and too short. Similar to a Ford Windstar. The gray cladding helps break up the lines and makes the vehicle look taller. Too bad the cladding couldn't have been another color, like tan, or a darker color of grey. I don't remember this much anguish when the 3rd generation (notably the Limited models) came in a two-tone scheme? My only concern is resale value. Not that I am planning on selling this baby.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 AM

If you guys really want it, I would push your dealer.

Toyota are cutting a $1000 check to anyone who will take a new 03 with grey cladding so.....I would go ask for mine !!!

Incidentally, I think the Titanium/grey cladding looks nice...I had a demo overnight and it really looks more off road vehicle than soccer mom SUV

I think had the grey cladding not been ' notched' unlike the smooth Limited look, I may have actually taken a Titanium/cladding model and saved $1000.

In the end, the monochrome Blue Mica just called my name...it does look nice and the subtle silver trim sets of the blue perfectly.

David
Old 08-26-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Sac State
I also find that the all same color Runners look un-proportional. All one color makes the new Runner look loooong and too short. The gray cladding helps break up the lines and makes the vehicle look taller.
I originally wanted silver/grey but, as you all know, unavailable (mine is all ti silver).

The dark lower visually makes the truck taller because the entire lower half is "in shadow" and the body looks like it starts at the beltline.
This also makes the truck look longer and the body thinner.

Full body color makes the truck look thicker and lower in comparison. I see several grey cladding 4Runners and I like them still.

The trade off is that the "rugged" grey makes it look cheap(er), which is why people don't like it. Everyone I talk to says they love it all body color and hated it with grey.
That really goes against my personal first reaction which was I LOVE the grey.

I think the body color looks great- it gives it a full-body solid truck look and you can appreciate the surface development Toyota put into the sheetmetal much more than the grey.

While the grey has that strong graphic look and "off road ready" appearance (with silver wheels/grey clad, it looks like huge wheel wells)
I have to admit, Toyota's modellers kick ass over any other company. No one is even close on that mark.

For those with grey--KEEP IT!! It will be a sought after 4th gen, mark my words! In fact, if anyone ever trades for body color panels, I would consider buying the grey so I can put them on mine one day in the future.

Last edited by FirstToy; 08-26-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the reasons I got a Limited was cause the cladding was cheap looking and I would not look cool with my blinging 22inch rims with unpainted cladding, my Escalade friends would have laughed at me

Really I did not understand how Toyota could have the 3rd Gens all painted (even though certain early model 3rd Gens have unpainted black fender flares but I always favored the wide fender flares of the 3rd Gen Limited) so when I looked at the 4Runner it was no question Im getting the Limited cause it's the coolest/sportiest looking and was all painted, if at the time I could have got a Sport with monotone paint I would have perferred no leather but in the end I have the Limited 17in rims I wanted even though their coming through on SR5:pat: the Nav and rear air and X-reas but most all V8 Limiteds are coming in with MSRP of 40k+ so their next to fully loaded.

More importantly I wanted the powertrain of the V8/5speed/AWD
Old 08-26-2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Sac State
My only concern is resale value. Not that I am planning on selling this baby.
When we buy, it's for 10 years or 100K miles minimum, unless the vehicle is wrecked or stolen. Buying the early model 2003 4Runner puts us where the car and the truck are 5 yeras apart, so we're not cramming purchases together. And since both are Toyotas, I expect we will be able to last well past the 10-year mark.

Yes, it may be boring for some to keep a vehicle that long, but financially, it's the best way to go -- just run them till the wheels fall off and they can't depreciate any more!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

no worries about resale value here as by the end of the 10th year, i think it's gonna be pretty torn up (hehe). but atleast i'd be able to say i took advantage of the vehicle and used it to it's potential!

but i have to agree with EDGE on the cladding. if you're going for that bling bling look, the cladding does sux real bad.

on the flipside, if you're going for that offroad rugged look, the cladding rocks! tested and i approve of em 100%. definitely better than damaging your body panels!

Either way, it's the best vehicle you can buy for it's price category and have the capability to do more in it's class than any other vehicle out there (now i know everyone will agree to this much! even the previous gen owners who are jealous hehe)