Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

02 Prerunner Transmission/Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Prerunner Transmission/Vibration Issue

Ok so hi there everyone. This is my first post on the forum and its gonna be a good one. So the over day I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden a noise started coming from the area of the transmission that sounded like someone threw rocks in a blender and boom no more trans.

So here's the back story. About 5-6 months ago I started to have this vibration at around 60mph. Felt like out of balance tires so I needed new tires anyway so I bought new tires. Needless to say that did not fix my vibration, but hey I needed new ones anyway. (PS I had them balanced at two different shops) So after looking into a few web searches and looking at the truck I decided that the tie rod on the right side of the truck had a smidgen of play in them so I replaced inner and outer tie rods. Still had the vibration. But I drive 55mph most of the time so I hardly ever noticed it. Some times I would go a week with no vibration even when driving 60mph and sometimes it would shake the ˟˟˟˟ out of my truck.

Well then about two months ago it started doing something else. It started to shift hard...... like really hard. Not all the time but sometimes. Sooooooo I changed the trans fluid. Simple drain and fill easy. So to my delight it shifted better and the vibration went away....... At least for about a week or so.

So after a week or so the vibration came back. But like I said before it does that sometimes so I was not sure if it was because of the trans fluid change or if it was just that time of the month for my truck.

So the other day I start driving go about 20miles on the highway and it was vibrating really really bad. Way worse than it ever had before. Stopped to pick someone up and noticed a NEW vibration on deceleration right before I can to a stop accompanied by a noise. The noise was the rocks in a blender noise. I wasn't sure I heard what I heard at first because when I opened the hood and listened I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. So I picked up my passenger and headed down the road again. Got back on the highway up to about 55mph and BOOM! Thats when it happened. Truck revved like it had been put into neutral and started making the rocks in a blender noise. pulled over to the side of the road and that was all she wrote.

Put it in park with the engine running no noise. Put it in drive and it makes the noise and will not move. Reverse makes the noise and will not move. Noise is coming from the trans area right under the shifter so I'm 99.99% sure it's the trans. Gonna verify it's not the drive shaft of rear end before I order the replacement tonight.

My question is this. Do y'all think the vibration was from the trans or do I have two problems here?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Sooooo I pulled the trans out last night and took the front cover off to see what was up. and YATZEE! I found the problem. I'll be able to post pics tomorrow. by the way kinda disappointing that 159 people looked at this and no one replied.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rusty7two
Sooooo I pulled the trans out last night and took the front cover off to see what was up. and YATZEE! I found the problem. I'll be able to post pics tomorrow.
Good for you, glad to hear you found it. Definitely post some pics and let us know what the problem was! Somebody may benefit from that information in the future!

Originally Posted by rusty7two
by the way kinda disappointing that 159 people looked at this and no one replied.
You only posted yesterday. You can get help here, but this forum isn't a dedicated ask/answer setup where you should expect to get immediate responses from waiting experts. It helps if you contribute. There's a lot of 1 or 2 post people that come for an answer and never return. Also, consider that maybe those that read your post didn't have a solution for you. Sometimes it's better to not respond than to offer incorrect or incomplete advice.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Yep you absolutely right. I have been a member of other forums in the past (Honda stuff) I know I know (shame face). And I see the people come and go. I was just hoping that someone would have an idea to throw out there or something. Am I the only one that's had this problem? Is this a common thing? The vibration or the trans issue?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM

I'm also a vlogger, my youtube channel is rusty7two. I'll have a video on this posted prob tomorrow. So subscribe and check out the video.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Well here's the vlog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXLn...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Vibration issue is fixed. After replacing the transmission and the carrier bearing on the drive shaft I STILL had the vibration at 60mph. Kinda figured that I would.

Anyway I had a similar issue with a 97 Honda CR-V years ago and it turned out to be inner tie rods. So i ordered inner and outer tie rods even though there was really no noticeable play during inspection. And while I was at it I ordered the poly steering rack bushings. Installed those and went for a drive. Vibration seemed to be much better. The next morning I took it for and alignment and BINGO! The vibration is completely gone...... for now.