Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 Tacoma winch bumper on a 3rd gen 4Runner?? Will it work??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Tacoma winch bumper on a 3rd gen 4Runner?? Will it work??

Hey guys,

Just wondering if this winch bumper from my 01 Tacoma will fit right up to specifically a 99 or 2000 4Runner with no modifications??? Any help would be great. Thanks, WM

Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Sorry I can't answer your question but where did you get that bumper? It's the best looking Taco bumper I have seen.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks 84! Well obviously its a custom job but its a badlands base. I found it on craigslist for $100 and the guy said it fit a taco. Having a badlands bumper before, I knew it was one of theirs. I picked it up, added some top bars and had it powdercoated. Might be getting a 4Runner and want to swap it over if at all possible.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM

I know the ARB bumper from a Tacoma will fit a 4Runner with a little custom work so it should work as well.

Originally Posted by wmflyfisher
Thanks 84! Well obviously its a custom job but its a badlands base. I found it on craigslist for $100 and the guy said it fit a taco. Having a badlands bumper before, I knew it was one of theirs. I picked it up, added some top bars and had it powdercoated. Might be getting a 4Runner and want to swap it over if at all possible.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks Sibanez, Have any clue as to what has to be done??
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM

On the Runner you will have to cut the triangle shaped pieces off so the square tacoma crap will fit. What it boils down to is, toyota used triangle plates welded on the tube ends for the bumper on the 4Runner and just square tubes on the tacoma.

Name:  P8130325-1.jpg
Views: 16406
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if this winch bumper from my 01 Tacoma will fit right up to specifically a 99 or 2000 4Runner with no modifications??? Any help would be great. Thanks, WM

Hey your the guy who pm'd me on Expo

Aaron
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks Aaron and yep that was me who PM'ed you. Thinking about getting a runner and would really like to use this bumper. I'm not doubting your expertise at all but are you positive about this being the only mod I need to do?? Will the width of the bumper and the gap between where the body and bumper meet be right?? Thanks man, WM
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The frame ends as pictured would need to be cut off but the earlier 4R frame ends (which small square frame end caps) would still need to be cut off for substantial mounting. In the situation with your bumper (on the 01 Taco) the Taco frame is 3" shorter than the 4R (and 97-00 Taco). In the case of our (Shrockworks) bumper there is completely separate brackets but the same bumper to handle this.

So I am thinking with your case, while cutting off the frame ends, cut 3" off the frame so that the side mounts line up, then weld in some frame end caps (2" angle iron works well) with a nut welded on the inner end to line up with the bumper mounting hole. The width and height will be the same, that 3" frame difference is your only problem, also keep in mind that the grill profile is slightly different but the 01 Tacoma is the most protruding, next closest is the 4R, so if you have a sawzall/4" grinder and a welder it will bolt right on (as it is in every case ).

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 10-28-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ToyFamily
The frame ends as pictured would need to be cut off but the earlier 4R frame ends (which small square frame end caps) would still need to be cut off for substantial mounting. In the situation with your bumper (on the 01 Taco) the Taco frame is 3" shorter than the 4R (and 97-00 Taco). In the case of our (Shrockworks) bumper there is completely separate brackets but the same bumper to handle this.

So I am thinking with your case, while cutting off the frame ends, cut 3" off the frame so that the side mounts line up, then weld in some frame end caps (2" angle iron works well) with a nut welded on the inner end to line up with the bumper mounting hole. The width and height will be the same, that 3" frame difference is your only problem, also keep in mind that the grill profile is slightly different but the 01 Tacoma is the most protruding, next closest is the 4R, so if you have a sawzall/4" grinder and a welder it will bolt right on (as it is in every case ).

Nick
Thanks a lot Nick,

Just what I needed to know. So you use the same bumper design with both rigs, just different mounts, that correct??

Above in the first paragraph you mention that the frame on my 01 is 3" shorter than the 4R. So I would have to cut 3" off mine? Sorry, just want to do it right the first time!! Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM

The bumper will sit just where it does now on the Taco. The side bars will be slightly in of the 4Runner assuming it's a limited or SR5 with limited flairs otherwise it will be flush with the not so cool fenders or no fenders at all. I would cut the triangles and test to fit. With the ARB there is no classification that breaks up year. There is only 1 1st gen Tacoma and thats what they make a bumper for. Prior to biting off more than you can chew or in your case cutting off what you can't reweld, I'd cut the triangle brackets and test fit it. You will want to smooth the edges to a round shape after triangle removal as to aid in the slide on of the new bumper. Whole process took me about 2 hours by myself. Cut, grind, fit, winch, bumper,

Aaron
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks Aaron. Havn't decided what I'm going to do yet. Might just sell this one and go with a Shrockworks. Just don't want to be SOL if I ever want to sale the vehicle.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Oh you'll be sol if you have to cut the damn things off. Mine as well commit to selling the bumper with the rig. I have thought about this and then said awe flip it I'll keep it forever.

Aaron
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Thanks a lot Nick,

Just what I needed to know. So you use the same bumper design with both rigs, just different mounts, that correct??

Above in the first paragraph you mention that the frame on my 01 is 3" shorter than the 4R. So I would have to cut 3" off mine? Sorry, just want to do it right the first time!! Thanks again for the help.
Not a problem. Yea, you see those stock tow mounts on the bottom of your frame, they are on both vehicles and our 4r bracket fits the 01 by bolting to those, with the exception of the 3" of frame that is not there.

Thanks Aaron. Havn't decided what I'm going to do yet. Might just sell this one and go with a Shrockworks. Just don't want to be SOL if I ever want to sale the vehicle.
If you get our bumper the end caps are cut off, but just at the frame end, you basically grind the welds off and remove the cap, at that point we recommend doing the frame end cap mod (which we include the end caps to be welded in) to add the 1/2" bolting attachments to the frame ends. Our bracket catches both the stock tow mount bolts on the bottom, a 3/8" bolt from top of frame to bottom (drilled hole), a 3/8" bolt through stock holes enlared (from 5/16") 10" from the frame end and the 1/2" end cap mod bolting location for each frame rail.

If you do this mod for the bumper you have, there is no easy way of going back besides keeping the frame ends and welding them back on later. And this would make it specific to the bumper you are showing (or custom).

The widths of the Tacomas and 4Rs are the same...the difference would be flares. The early model SR5 flares are like your Tacoma the later model SR5 (99 and newer I think, but not certain off the top of my head, notes are at shop) and LTD. are 2" flares each side.

Pics of early and later model 3rd gen end caps
Name:  IMG_8786.jpg
Views: 3899
Size:  45.5 KB
Name:  4RunnerBumperOff7.jpg
Views: 3769
Size:  81.1 KB
after mod...you'd basically be doing the same but 3" shorter..keep in mind the piece shown was prototype angle iron..the one recieved with our bumper is CNC lasercut and formed
Name:  IMG_8797.jpg
Views: 3975
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  IMG_8794.jpg
Views: 4084
Size:  44.8 KB
Name:  IMG_8610.jpg
Views: 5126
Size:  73.1 KB
Name:  IMG_8850.jpg
Views: 4108
Size:  72.5 KB

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 10-28-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Excellent info Nick! I'll probably just sell my current bumper and go with one of yours whenever I get the Runner. I would like a quote on one. About to shoot you a PM. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

wmflyfisher, completely off topic, but nice FJ!

My favorite FJs were the ones with the "safari" style rear fold up seats. If I could manage to scrape up some $$ to buy an FJ, it'd definintely be that style.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
wmflyfisher, completely off topic, but nice FJ!

My favorite FJs were the ones with the "safari" style rear fold up seats. If I could manage to scrape up some $$ to buy an FJ, it'd definintely be that style.

2nd that...that would be my classic car. One of these days I'll build an FJ buggy,

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 10-29-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks guys! I should really update that pic. It has a lift and nice meats now!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 PM

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a FJ65, to do a diesel swap in and drive until the cows come home.

Aaron
Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! I should really update that pic. It has a lift and nice meats now!
ooh, now that's a sharp looking FJ. Didn't realize it could get even better . Personally, I'd like to purchase a similar 40 and swap in a 3.4L and tranny from a 3rd Gen. I'd be in heaven.

Quick Reply: 01 Tacoma winch bumper on a 3rd gen 4Runner?? Will it work??