Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 4Runner transmission worries

Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 4Runner transmission worries

Details: 2001 4Runner SR5 4X4 with 107K miles.

So, I've been lazy the last few years and have been taking my truck into jiffy lube for oil changes. I know it's bad, but life is hectic and it's very convenient.

My problem is, 2 changes back they recommended that I get the front & rear diff, and transfer case done. I did that, and they managed to screw it up. For a few weeks I was leaking oil before I put 2 and 2 together and realized I had the leak. I took it back in, they said the bolt/seal, whatever wasn't tightened properly, and corrected the situation.

Now, I've started noticing that when I put my truck into drive, I hear a loud metallic clank sound. This goes for reverse or drive. When the truck is in drive, and I'm at a full stop (like at a stop light), there is a 1-4 second delay when I take my foot off the brake, before the transmission slips back into gear and the truck moves forward. This is happening every time I'm stopped, and I'm concerned there is a problem, or that I'm slowly tearing up my trany. Once I start moving the transmission behaves fine. It's just going from Park to Reverse/Drive, and then starting from a stopped position while I'm in drive. Is it even supposed to be slipping out of gear when I'm at a stoplight? Why would it take so long to kick into gear, it's never done that before for the 3 years I've had it.

So what should I do? I guess the front/rear & transfer cases have nothing to do with a full transmission flush, which was going to be my next step.

I never had any trany problems with my previous (1995) 4Runner. I'm afraid of a $3-4000 trany repair bill right now, because that would destroy me financially.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Well if you search you'll find alot of info on the symtpoms you describe. Many people on here have had the same problem(s). I would suffice to say that your tranny is not going out but I'm no mechanic. Usually greasing the slip yoke gets rid of these symptoms however I posted the other day that after doing this and getting the drivetrain fluids changed that it went away for awhile but is now back. I also get the clunk when shifting into drive and reverse but mine seems alot less severe when I let the runner warm up. As far as the feeling your getting at a stop mine as i said went away for alil after greasing the driveshaft and such but now is back after 2 weeks. I am looking more into mine being from a worn out suspension and axle wrap.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your transmission fluid level and fluid condition:

See the last step in the following document for the proper way to check level:
http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they add some fluid back in after they re tightened there mistake....I would check your fluid level.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by bonetap
Details: 2001 4Runner SR5 4X4 with 107K miles.

So, I've been lazy the last few years and have been taking my truck into jiffy lube for oil changes. I know it's bad, but life is hectic and it's very convenient.

My problem is, 2 changes back they recommended that I get the front & rear diff, and transfer case done. I did that, and they managed to screw it up. For a few weeks I was leaking oil before I put 2 and 2 together and realized I had the leak. I took it back in, they said the bolt/seal, whatever wasn't tightened properly, and corrected the situation.

Now, I've started noticing that when I put my truck into drive, I hear a loud metallic clank sound. This goes for reverse or drive. When the truck is in drive, and I'm at a full stop (like at a stop light), there is a 1-4 second delay when I take my foot off the brake, before the transmission slips back into gear and the truck moves forward. This is happening every time I'm stopped, and I'm concerned there is a problem, or that I'm slowly tearing up my trany. Once I start moving the transmission behaves fine. It's just going from Park to Reverse/Drive, and then starting from a stopped position while I'm in drive. Is it even supposed to be slipping out of gear when I'm at a stoplight? Why would it take so long to kick into gear, it's never done that before for the 3 years I've had it.

So what should I do? I guess the front/rear & transfer cases have nothing to do with a full transmission flush, which was going to be my next step.

I never had any trany problems with my previous (1995) 4Runner. I'm afraid of a $3-4000 trany repair bill right now, because that would destroy me financially.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

I would say, unless you drove the car with bone-dried tranny for long miles, it should be ok if you only drove the car for daily commutings for a few days. Check all the fluid levels and fill up if needed more.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Have you ever flushed the tranny before? Some will say the it is bad to flush it with so many miles if it has never been done before. I had mine drained and refilled last service and skipped the full flush.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll post a followup with my results.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Flushing with a machine that uses detergents would not be a good idea, but the Amsoil style DIY flush is just new fluid replacing old fluid using your stock tranny pump. I don't see how that can be bad. I did mine at 185K, I have 191K on it now and it still shifts smooth as ever.

OK, so where was the leak? In the t-case or 1 of the diffs? Did you ask them how low the fluid was when they found the leak? Was it dry? How does your 4hi and 4lo feel, any different?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Well, it's been about 3 months, and so far, all I've done is let Jiffy Lube hook it up to their machine to do a tranny flush. That didn't seem to have any effect. It still "kicks" when I take it out of park and put it in drive... and I still get the "kick" when I've stopped at a stop light and I try to start moving again. It's pretty annoying, but doesn't seem to be getting worse or better.

Actually, it kicks even if take it out of park and put it in reverse. It's kind of loud too.

Last edited by bonetap; 02-11-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Im saying Fluid is the prob. Or the torque converter is slipping. which usually doesnt happen till its out of fluid.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Maybe the kickdown cable on the throttle body is out of adjustment.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Please stop taking it to Jiffy Lube. Seriously, they already messed up and didn't get the plugs in right, that in itself should disqualify them from ever touching an oil plug again.

Did you grease the slip yoke and drive train? Crawl under it and at least grab the drive shaft and see if there's any play in anything, u joints will act something like that too.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Bonetep,

You may want to check your rear brakes/e-brakes to see if anything (e.g., cable) needs ajustment/lube. Also make sure that rear axel is not leaking, as that may cause the rear brake sticking.