86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Yotard's 95 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well the shipping weight was 75lbs but I think it is less than that. Fully assembled I can move it around without a lot of trouble by myself. I would guess it is more around 50lbs
Old 12-07-2014, 03:11 PM

I finished grinding and sanding the bumper today. I put 2 coats of rustoleum on the inside and 3 coats of herculiner on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails Yotard's 95 4Runner Build-image-3023859293.jpg  

Last edited by Yotard; 12-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM

It's finished

Last edited by Yotard; 12-08-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bumper looks awesome, we just need some action shots now!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Time to welcome my 06 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with 55k mi. Just bought it today.

Last edited by Yotard; 12-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM

That's a nice looking rig! What's the plan for it?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Good looking pair!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by atlastrekker
That's a nice looking rig! What's the plan for it?
Thanks, I bought it to replace my wife's accord. It was too small for us with the 3 kids in the back seat so I convinced her to get this instead of a minivan or honda pilot. For now it is going to stay a stock grocery getter and I will continue to build my 4Runner to be my off-road rig/daily driver and eventually probably off-road only. The 4Runner only has 150k mi on it right now so she will hopefully stay on the road for a while longer.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM

Hey Yotard - Nice posts. How is your MPG with the 4 hole injectors? Also are the MPH and gearing match so your speedo in true (hence correct MPG?).

Fish
Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tailsgunner
Hey Yotard - Nice posts. How is your MPG with the 4 hole injectors? Also are the MPH and gearing match so your speedo in true (hence correct MPG?). Fish
I'm getting around 15mpg with them. I was getting around 12-13 before I re-geared but that is not factoring for the speedo being off. I was getting more miles than it was saying. Now that I regeared my speedo is 2 mph off of what the dash shows. My gps says I'm going 67 when the dash says 65 so the gas mileage is fairly accurate at 15mpg.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Yotard
I'm getting around 15mpg with them. I was getting around 12-13 before I re-geared but that is not factoring for the speedo being off. I was getting more miles than it was saying. Now that I regeared my speedo is 2 mph off of what the dash shows. My gps says I'm going 67 when the dash says 65 so the gas mileage is fairly accurate at 15mpg.
Pretty good for those size tires. I wish you were in So Cal, I would give you all my work to do on my runner.

Is changing the trans from an auto to a manual an option down the road for your ride?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 AM

Pretty good for those size tires. I wish you were in So Cal, I would give you all my work to do on my runner. Is changing the trans from an auto to a manual an option down the road for your ride?
I would have preferred a manual transmission but my wife has to be able to drive it too so I'm stuck in auto land for now. The 4Runner is my daily driver right now but even as such I usually only put 5-6,000 mi a year on it. I don't know long term what I'm going to do with it. I have had it 5 years now and I really like it.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM

I would have preferred a manual transmission but my wife has to be able to drive it too so I'm stuck in auto land for now. The 4Runner is my daily driver right now but even as such I usually only put 5-6,000 mi a year on it. I don't know long term what I'm going to do with it. I have had it 5 years now and I really like it.
I get about 15-16.5mpg on highway and about 13-14 city with the 4 hole injectors. The bad shift solenoid made the difference for better MPG for me. I did not know I had a bad one until the trans CE light came one and blinked.

Me too on wishing I had a manual. This is my third 4runner, the two previous 4runners were manual. I have had nothing but bad luck with this auto. trans with pour MPG, overheating (installed two trans coolers), one rebuild and one swap out, changed shift solenoids. The trans just died last Sunday, with ATF being sprayed all over the freeway right from the bell housing. I could hear a whine noise (like those Ford PS pumps make..haha), but the shop guy that did the swap out said the noise was nothing to worry about....Yes new torque convertor too on the last job.

I'll keep looking for one. Need a good fishing car for the Sierra's.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM

I had an 88 4x4 pickup with a manual in it and I liked it a lot. I just bought the sequoia because how much I have liked my 4Runner. It has a lot power and is a really nice ride.

That's a real bummer about the tranny on your truck. I had the at oil light come on climbing up to tahoe right after I bought it so I put a cooler and a gauge on it. Ever since then I haven't had the at temp light come on ever again. I did have to do the solenoids over the summer though. Luckily that was pretty easy and not too expensive. If I had to put a new tranny in mine I think I would look for a 3.4 with a tranny to put in honestly.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:01 AM

I had an 88 4x4 pickup with a manual in it and I liked it a lot. I just bought the sequoia because how much I have liked my 4Runner. It has a lot power and is a really nice ride.

That's a real bummer about the tranny on your truck. I had the at oil light come on climbing up to tahoe right after I bought it so I put a cooler and a gauge on it. Ever since then I haven't had the at temp light come on ever again. I did have to do the solenoids over the summer though. Luckily that was pretty easy and not too expensive. If I had to put a new tranny in mine I think I would look for a 3.4 with a tranny to put in honestly.

When I head up a steep hill at a slow or high speed (and even at night with 38 degree temps), the hottest ATF temp is 210 with a cooler, so I installed a second B&M cooler and now the temps stays around 180 degrees on a hill, and usually around 155-165 in and around town.

Even on the other trans swap...I get the same high temps reading (which I thought would be corrected with a totally different trans in the 4runner).

I looked up an auto to manual swap, but I'm worried about how the wiring for the back up light, and the ECU to not get a CE light. I can't find a shop to do the swap. I've pulled trans before to swap out a clutch, but again, I don't have the balls to do a auto to manual swap, plus I don't have the time or the place to let the truck sit for a week to do the swap.

Some guy did to the swap on a 98 and figured out the wiring but I don't think he has to deal with C.A.R.B. in Cali. like we do. The guy did say the crank has a provision for pilot bushing (which is good..but again, that was a 98).

I also have a auto-tune ATF temp light installed.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 AM

Hey Yotard - You mentioned you installed a ATF gauge. I know this sounds like a stupid question, do you install the sending unit on the input before the radiator and trans cooler or after?

I got a new rebuilt installed and so far so good. She shifts smooth, no more hard shifts going in gear and the whining noise is gone. He said the front seal blew because the front pump failed. I did not know a failing trans front pump can make that much noise.

Later
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Hey Yotard - You mentioned you installed a ATF gauge. I know this sounds like a stupid question, do you install the sending unit on the input before the radiator and trans cooler or after? I got a new rebuilt installed and so far so good. She shifts smooth, no more hard shifts going in gear and the whining noise is gone. He said the front seal blew because the front pump failed. I did not know a failing trans front pump can make that much noise. Later
Good to hear it is back together. I put my gauge on the output line of the tranny to the transcooler so that I would know the hottest the fluid is getting. I have 157k mi on my truck I wonder when my auto is gonna let go too. Best of luck.

Matt
Old 01-17-2015, 01:41 PM

Good to hear it is back together. I put my gauge on the output line of the tranny to the transcooler so that I would know the hottest the fluid is getting. I have 157k mi on my truck I wonder when my auto is gonna let go too. Best of luck.

Matt
Hi Matt - Mine has 170k. Bad luck with this trans almost every other year or so. Your 4Runner is sweet. I guess installing the sending unit on the trans output side makes sense. Tat would be the hottest ATF temp.

Joe
Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 PM

Hi Matt - Mine has 170k. Bad luck with this trans almost every other year or so. Your 4Runner is sweet. I guess installing the sending unit on the trans output side makes sense. Tat would be the hottest ATF temp. Joe
Thanks Joe! I actually had a hose clamp fail on the tranny cooler this week. I left work to pick up lunch, just a few miles round trip. When I got out back at work I noticed a trail of oil leading to my parking spot. Luckily I had only lost a couple quarts and I had a spare hose clamp in the glove box. One of my coworkers helped me out and picked up a couple quarts of atf for me. If that had happened on my 20mi trip home I'm pretty sure I would have run it out of oil before I noticed and probably burned it up. I thought of you when it happened because you had just told me you lost your transmission.

Last edited by Yotard; 01-17-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM

My way home takes me past the livermore toyota dealership. The store itself is on one side of the road and a huge part of their lot is on the other side of a 4 lane road. There were two salesmen crossing in the center divide and as I past them they both have me big thumbs up. I thought that was pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Yotard's 95 4Runner Build