86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotajuice's 1991 Toyota 4x4 work truck

Old 04-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yotajuice's 1991 Toyota 4x4 work truck

Hello all, <br />First time taking on a Toyota project so this should be fun. I have been working on it for a month now and time permitting I have gotten a few things done. This being my first Yota, I might need some suggestions or help along the way. So any help is appreciated. <br />This is a work truck so it isn't my daily driver. Im trying to stick to a budget, and that includes any tool I have to buy for the project. My son will also be helping me with this so that will be fun.
Had a leak around the half moons on the valve cover. So that had to be replaced and with the spark plugs. I went with a fel- pro gasket kit and ngk plugs. Nothing fancy lol
That's buttoned back up!
I need to wire brush and paint the rusty spots. That's hopefully coming up this weekend. If that doesnt help, the fenders are 30 bucks on rock auto. The chassis however is surprisingly in decent shape.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 PM

I needed tires on this truck so I went shopping and my local discount tire had a set of used Cooper MTP 31x10.50r15. They quoted me 600 mounted and balanced out the door. I talked him into taking 500 but I wanted to order the trailmaster tm5 wheels from 4 wheel parts. He ended up price matching a set of cragers soft 8s for me @39 a wheel. I sent my brother to pick up the wheels and tires and they ended up selling my used set to someone else and gave me a new set. Thats a score!!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Well I got a few more things done this Easter weekend. I ended up shredding my fan belt and had to replace it. Rockauto sent me the wrong lower radiator hose and I ended up having to give parts house price for it. I didn't get time to maintenance the front end and drums like I wanted to. So I just installed the wheels and tires and will hopefully get all the brakes done this weekend.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like a nice little truck and you are getting some of the common problems fixed. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 AM

Thanks Terry
​​​​I didn't get much done to it this weekend. I can't believe that as long as these trucks have been on the road, tools for them are this hard to find. I had to order my axle socket from lce performance. Im not rushing anything on this project as I am using it nearly every weekend. But hopefully between the weather and my wife planning my weekends out for me, I can get some wrench time on the truck.
But this weekend I took it to the local dump and unloaded a bunch of trash. The new alternator belt started to squeek, upon looking at it I discovered two things. One...im not sure my leak is "fixed" (could be coolant) and two...my belt is working loose. So the list grows......
Hopefully next weekend I can spend a day pulling the hubs apart and seeing what can of worms I can get into there. Also get a pressure washer and degreaser on the front of that engine and pinpoint where my leak is coming from before it ruins another belt. So I will be sure be sure to add pics of my pain in the future on this thread. If not for anything else....for you all to giggle at my mechanical plight.

Jp
​​​

Search this Thread