86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
glad you and the family are safe. fires are no joke! i set my old tacoma ablaze while trying to bump the starter to undo the crank pulley. Pro tip, dont undo the fuel rail BEFORE trying to bump the starter. it dumps fuel directly onto the starter and alternator. pro tip #2. if all else fails, pour your freshly opened snapple and a bag of flour from the garage on it. makes clean up a chore, but it puts the fire out.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
You make a good point about having a "working" fire extinguisher near by, I have one that's never been used, but I'm sure it so old that it would be useless, I need to get a new one.
Our local fire department used to check them and recharge them for free or swap them for newer styles for cheap. They now have certain days that they do that and they do charge 10 bucks to check and recharge, but still a good deal.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad all, well almost all is safe. When i was doing my 81 rebuild it was the dead of winter....had to have been 45 degrees, so i closed my shop door and was doing some welding. I heard my wife say, hey dumb***, your welding right next to 5 gallons of race fuel. Lol. This type of work can be dangerous by itself, then i tend to turn it up a notch.

Space, keeping a bag of flour is a good idea as well. You could suffocate a pretty big blaze in a quick manner but i have to draw the line at dumping my snapple apple out

Last edited by flg8r22; 04-20-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Good to see the kids learn real life skills, Terry! And glad to know you dealt with the fire well.
Speaking of fire extinguishers, I purchased one recently from Costco. Haven't read the manual, yet, so I'm wondering if they have a "shelf-life", or if it's possible to test them on a regular basis. I have already secured its mounting to my roll-bar.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
careful with flour or other things like it (sugar, corn starch, sawdust, baby powder..)

Finely powdered things like that can explode under just the wrong circumstances, if it hits it as a dust cloud rather than a solid mass, you'll get a fireball in the face

Use baking soda, it's whats actually in most fire extinguishers anyway
Old 04-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it is a good idea to shake your dry extinguishers every few months so the media doesn't harden
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep shake them extingusers had one that was hard when trying to put out a fire started in a wrecked mercedes that was towed in sparks an fuel do not for a good night make

gla the kids are enjoying an learning terry mine wants to learn an fix up my old 79 but money ugh..he also wants to be a chef
Old 04-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Taking notes about fire extinguisher shaking. Sounds like a perfect job for that kid o'mine. Glad you got the mower out and then the fire out too, Terry!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hope you are well and dry, the pics of Neosho aren't pretty, and with roads and bridges being washed out all over the state and towns under water....well, be safe and good wishes!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I will be doing some catching up in the next few days. December 2015 was supposed to be the 100 year flood for us but it came again a 1 1/2 later and we got hit harder then 2015. I am helping a friend with his house. He got about a foot of water inside his house and at first we were going to save it but now he is just going to rebuild a new one so trying to salvage what was not damaged.

My house is flood safe. My shop has always had water that will stand in front of the garage door and some water got inside the shop but I built my shop to have water on the floor and the walls sit off of the floor so I can have plenty of water when painting. Really glad I put some fore thought into building my shop. The water only got half way into the shop and did no damage. Just now got around to getting the shop cleaned back up.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome to hear, Terry!
One of my fellow trail builders got a 'new' deck (Van Buren) that she really didn't want as it was sitting on top of her fence and also it was originally her neighbor's.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks for the tips everybody. I am going to start having a back up to deal with fire issues. One thing that I do need to work one. Justin has been my little shadow lately and I have been trying to teach him to work in the shop safely as in some cases there are no re-dos in life if something goes wrong. I do not completely trust Jack Stands. I use them but I will also have the jack positioned to catch a truck if the Jack Stand was to collapse. Anytime I do a brake job, I use a stand and then place the tire under the frame just in case something goes wrong. 2 safety devices when working on trucks. Need to do the same for fire issues.

Well it is starting to dry out around here and getting things back to normal. I just recently started getting weekends off instead of the usually Wednesday and Thursday so been taking some extra time off and been getting to the lake, doing some fishing, some camping and other things. A couple of times I have gotten out in the shop and Justin has been right there. He is really liking to spend time in the shop. We have gotten most of the drivers side ready for primer on the wreck. He is finding out the smaller details of getting the lines and everything aligned back up on the front end is slow and takes patience.

I had to get a new Photobucket account and dont have my new pass word at this time but will get some pictures up in the next couple of days when I remember to get my note book with the 5000 passwords you have to have now a days. Got quite a few I want to post.

I will be missing one of my dead lines. June 10th there is a Ford truck show in my town. I really wanted to have my 76 Supercab at least driveable to the show. Now it is not even going to make it to the show but I am still going to go to the show. One of the girls from All Girls Garage is going to be there. Cherie Westreich is going to be there and she is from Overhaulin as well. Looking forward to that.

I am in a bigger hurry to get the wreck finished up. My neighbor is wanting to trade me his 93 Ford Diesel for the wreck. He is just wanting it for a work truck. I am wanting his truck for a parts truck for my 76 and it will be all Ford and should swap over easily. I just need to get off of my back side and get it done. My neighbor is not really concerned with the looks of it. I told him I did buy the wreck to sell but a side project was to let the kids see what a little effort can do for a truck and to let them get to use a variety of tools. I am going to let the kiddos do a cheap single stage paint job on it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

My old days off were Thursday and Friday. Now I have an actual weekend off so have been doing more with the family on weekends. That has been cutting into my shop time. Justin and me did finally get the drivers side completed and ready to start putting it into primer. Trying to get the front end gaps correct is a time consuming task. Getting the gaps correct is not one of my favorite things but I think we are slowly getting there. I want to get this truck completed so as I can get on the 76. We have been doing a lot of camping and I want to get into a 5th wheel camper and will need the 76 for that.

Justin getting the drivers side done. Maybe later this week we will start on the passenger side. I dont think it has as much body work on that side.
Name:  20170524_121358_zpsahq0693c.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  252.7 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170524_121358_zpsahq0693c.jpg (252.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
20170524_121358_zpsahq0693c.jpg (252.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Terry, so cool to see your son out there learning bodywork. Wish I had someone to teach me!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad the water didn't affect you Terry and Hab we did have a lot of flood damage down this way I just drover through water running over road from black river still out of its banks from levee damage during the flood on my way to work at Doniphan to do some work on flood damage that way. we still have people parking on the Hwy and taking tractors back to their houses from water still standing. Terry Glad your boy is getting some hands on experience working on vehicles. he will go a lot further than other kids his age because of it! Keep up the good work and Im keeping any eye on that ford build too!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Trying to get the posting pictures thing down. The above picture is a first for me posting from my phone. I do not like learning new technology. I was originally going to fix this truck to sell to fund my 76 Ford. Was going to use it to trade for a diesel but up on further investigation my 76 is a half ton and I would need a 3/4 ton for a diesel swap so now I am going with a 351 Windsor for the Ford.

This truck is going to require a lot of work to get it fixed correctly. More work then I want to put into it to just trade off. I need an economical work truck as I put on about 90 miles a day in work miles and it is killing my newer vehicles. I will just fix this truck for myself. I will fix it back to new and just drive the miles out of it. I was doing some work on it yesterday and now it has sprung a leak around the front seal. Grrr... You can see the leak underneath the truck. Since I will need to fix that leak, I will just pull the motor and probably do the timing chain and replace all other gaskets while it is out.

Been having a tough time getting all the damage worked out so I will just do a cab swap. All the work required to get it to where I want it for myself, no way am I going to get the time and money back out of it. I will do it to where I want it to be and correctly. I need a small work truck around here anyways for a parts hauler.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-13-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Good to see you still work on Toyotas. The Photobucket thing has really ruined forums. I have yet to post from a phone. Usually I download onto my computer and upload to Photobucket. A real time waster.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo19... Today I finally decided to learn how to post pictures. Still not going as smooth as I would like it to. I am doing the oppisite. I post with my phone and then go to the computer to update the picture on what is going on. I am still working on Toyotas. With Photobucket issue, I missed out on several good pictures of the 01 and 88 Runners doing their thing this summer. Both trucks got a good work out this summer. I had the top off of the 88 for the first time in two years. We put the top back on yesterday. Had a lot of fun with the 88 this summer.

The wife and kids will be back at school this week so I plan on getting back on the trucks. All of the work I am going to have to do to the wreck and do it correctly, it would not be worth getting rid of it. I need a truck around here and this one will fit the bill. I want it looking good and dependable and am ready to get back in the shop. Had other things going on this summer and have been slacking. Plan on getting some deep work done on this truck starting this week if all goes well.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the wreck in and the 76 out. Not sure why picture is so small so still learning.
t.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread