86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn... sounds like things have been going a little south for you lately. Any time I hear one of my tires chirp, a just wonder how much rubber and money I just left on the highway. I can usually get double the miles out of tires then what they are rated for. I baby them things as they are too expensive. It has been years since I have bought 4 tires at one time, back when I was single. Wife and kids take up the extra funds that now I too buy them one at a time or in pairs.

We are having a time with some medical issues around here. I dont ever get sick and spent 3 days in bed. A few years ago I got cracked in the cheek bone by a jack handle and it did some damage to my upper teeth. I just got a top denture this week as a result from that mistake. Medical and Dental has been keeping us busy around here lately. 2017 is starting out a little rough for us. For some good credit information, check out Good Credit is Sexy, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...Credit_Is_Sexy , not the manliest book to be caught reading but is full of a ton of information that can help with credit issues. It is about $100 to go to his class but Dave Ramsey is a course I would strongly recommend and I am going to make the kiddos go to it when they get a little older.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a call from the body shop and they said the frame is now straight. I hope to get the truck home this week if all goes well. Things are going to do a slight change on this truck. I am still going to fix and sell it to fund my 76 but we need a truck around here for some of her projects that she needs a truck for and I need a Ford Parts Go Getter. This truck will be getting fixed back up nicer then I had originally planned since I dont care for driving a truck in poor condition. It will make a nice little project to keep me busy for a while and I plan on getting it fixed up to a nice stock condition truck again. One thing I do like for some reason is the silver stock rims with the black center caps. It only has one beauty ring and I want to get them all matched up.

Misty wants some of the funds from this truck when I eventually do sell it. She says she plans on being more involved in it then she has other projects in the past. Will have to wait and see. Other trucks I have sold were for me to fund my different projects and she got to go along to see the tools or other toys I would buy for myself so I am hoping that she will get involved in this project.

I have not picked up a wrench in quite a while or been out in the shop as lately it has either me being down with a flu bug and that kept me in bed for quite a while. I have gone 5 or more years with out missing a day of work and missed 2 just lately. I have probably missed less then 25 days in 30 years. Then I finally broke down and had to get my top teeth replaced with a denture from an accident I had jacking up a car hauler a few years ago. I mistake around a jack and it got me. Between doctor or dentist, not been much going on with Toyotas or my Ford. I am ready to get back after it.

I think the truck will look great just back in a clean stock condition and looking forward to Misty helping me on it and Justin has been having some fun and learning to work on it as well. I dont plan on keeping it for the long run but am looking forward to what Misty and Justin learn on it and will get shop time with them on it. Hunter really is not interested in working on it. This truck is the first standard truck that he has got to drive around the block around here and for his first time he did really well on a standard transmission. He learned manual transmissions quick on it.

Originally Posted by Terrys87

Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have not been able to get on for a while. We have had storms to knock out power for the past few days and finally got that straightened out and got the internet back up for a few hours and then a tornado hit just a few miles away in Goodman, Mo and knocked the net down again and more power outage. Yeah for Tornado Alley. It missed my place and no damage here but will be helping some friends get their places back in order this weekend.

Last week I took the 2 wheel drive from the frame shop to the alignment shop. The alignment shop called today telling me that it will need an Idler Arm and a Drag Link replaced before it will take an alignment. I will plan on getting the truck home on Monday and get those two parts replaced. On two wheel drive the Drag Link is a common part to fail on the two wheel. The shop did say other then those two parts that are just worn out, the front end is in great shape. No damage other then to the front frame horn which has been repaired.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear the storms missed you Terry. And seems the pick up is heading in a great direction. Glad to see you back at it
Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Whew, glad we only got tons of rain and some little storms. Glad you didn't have to deal with the worst of it down there.

Here's to Misty getting into the work and enjoying it. Good news on the frame.

Sorry to hear you've been out with the flu. Horrible horrible stuff, isn't it?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tony... I keep thinking things will slow down and I can get some shop time. Weather getting nice should help.

Hello Hab... Got over the flu and now getting busy with life. I want life to slow down a little bit. Weather has been getting nice around here lately so am going to try and take advantage of it.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to hear the storms missed an your all ok terrry
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did finally get the wreck home but still have not ordered any parts yet. Have a few things to take care of before that can happen. I used the wreck to pull the Ford out of the shop so as I can get the wreck in the shop to do some work on it. Justin got to do some driving on helping to move the trucks around. He liked getting to drive. He is getting the Drivers License itch. It is still a couple of years away but even getting to drive a short distance is pleasing to him. He got to pull the trailer with the Ford bed on it and helped to pull the Ford out of the shop.
Name:  20170414_133140_zpssjoqw1zk.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  420.5 KB

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8464

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-17-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn..We are coming into tornado season and will be glad when it is over with. I like the weather just could pass on the tornado's.I see the destruction all of the time but have never seen on in real life. I was in one on a dark night and it was a minor one but still have yet to see one. Hopefully I wont see one. haha.

Originally Posted by coryc85
In looking for a new electronic flasher, there's kind of a lot of different info on which one is compatible (EF35, EP32, CF13GL-02). I went with the EP32 from RockAuto, mostly because the picture looked a lot like the OEM relay I removed. The others did not quite looks right in terminal spacing.

It came in the mail today and I can tell you 100% it is a direct replacement, fits right in and my turn signals and hazards are now working!

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-11-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the Ford out of the shop. I put it original bed back on to free up my work trailer and to get the wreck into the shop. I have some things coming up so it is going to be a slower project then what I would like to be doing but the check book says it is going to have to be on hold for a while until the other things get taken care of.

In the mean time Justin still wants to work on it. I told him I have plenty of sand paper, bondo, and primer. He liked that idea so we are doing the body work on it and it will get re-painted. I am on another computer and cant remember my password to Photobucket so will have to add the pictures to it later today or tomorrow.

Even Hunter and a neighbor kid got involved in removing dents, grinding off paint, and using body filler. I let them use everything from the welder as I dont have a stud welder for pulling dents that they weld a nail to the dent and then have to pull it with a pair of vise grips and a hammer. I have a Pops-a-Dent, and just how ever it takes to get to the back side of the dent to get it removed. All 3 kids liked doing that. I will get some pictures added later.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is Hunter and a neighbor using the Pops A Dent. It works on some small dish dents.
Name:  20170417_165153_zpsdnsylayf.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  262.9 KB

Bed Liners can ruin or save a bed. Luckily I got the wet stuff out before any damage could be done. This bed is in great shape. Good luck on me finding another bed in this condition. The floor still looks like new and no dents in it.
Name:  20170417_161708_zpstjzaaxnj.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  353.5 KB

I dont have a stud welder so Justin is grinding the paint off to weld nails on to a section that needs pulled out. We did weld a nail and get a thin coat of filler on it and fender does not look to bad. He has the filler down with 80 grit and is doing it all himself. He is doing great so far. I will probably have to get the final sanding done to get it looking correct.
Name:  20170417_145315_zps3nogxjii.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  255.1 KB
Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Terry, that is awesome that your son is learning all this bodywork. Maybe you could ship him down here to FL for the summer and in exchange for bodywork on my 4Runner, he could get food and housing!

I'd love to find a little project 4Runner when my son gets to be like 13 or 14 and we can work on it together as his first car.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeahhh ive been around too many twisters 3 in wyo 5 in okla an 4 in texas along with a huricane and tropical storm which left me on the second floor of a car dealership in 8+ ft of flood waters around it lol
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Terry the boys are learning something they will be able to use the rest of their lives no matter how much technology changes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that is awesome Terry! i can't wait to be able to unleash my grandson on some projects..
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cory... Your son will get there before you know it. Still cant believe how fast mine has grown. Haha, I am afraid of the bill you would send me. Just yesterday for Justin I had to take him to the dentist to have a fixed a tooth that he chipped, then took him to get a new pair of jeans and some how he ripped a pair of jeans. All in one day, and he is eating us out of a house and home.

Hello Cyberhorn... Nothing like a little excitement in life like trying to avoid a flood. I had some excitement as well today and thought I was doing everything correct. I will explain below.

Thanks Tony... I am trying to teach them what took me years to learn and hope they find something for a hobby or even a skill for a living. There are several things that they can learn in this shop. They are not into sports so much and I really dont want them to beat up their bodies and pay for it for life. Not many make it in the big leagues and my boys are scrawny. I work with several neighbor kids as well. Trying to keep them on the right track. We had a kid in our area that made it to the nationals in a welding competition from our local high school on welding. We have several vocations and hope they find one they can excel in.

Hello Robb... I hear grandkids are fun. I still have a ways to go to find out if that is true but think it has to be a blast. Just seen ehatch92 posted some memories of his grandfather on his build. Maybe one day the younger generation will appreciate our time we spend with them. Besides. I get to be the supervisor of this project. I just point and let them do the work. hehe
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here Hunter and his friend removed the tail light and worked the dent out. Grind down the paint and got a little carried away with the body filler. Showed them how to prepare filler and apply.

These are some minor door dings. A little excess filler and I did bump into some filler while it was wet. Doh!!! Showed them how to find dings. They were ready to sand the whole truck but once a truck is sanded it is hard to find dings when the gloss is off or in primer.
Name:  20170420_084732_zps0rkmcpqu.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  244.3 KB

This dent in the passenger door is a horse shape. Justin had to do the drill and pull. I will let him weld up the holes at a later time before we fill the dent. Toyota sheet metal is difficult to weld on. I will have to remove the door handle to get this fixed.
Name:  20170420_084816_zpscaadxlsb.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  236.0 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Wish my son wanted to do wrenchy stuff. I'm hoping when he gets a car of his own he'll start tinkering. He's got the mentality for it.
Ford looks so naked and good all at the same time.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today I went out in the shop to get pictures of the kids progress and to clean up the shop. Wife wanted me to fix a piece on the mower and thought I had done everything right. I started welding and I had the fire extinguisher ready to go when I suddenly had a small flame. If my extinguisher was working correctly I would not of had any damage to the mower. I have been a part time fire fighter and know fire fighting really well. I have even mentioned in other post about having a extinguisher available even when just working on cars. I have seen a back fire from a carb get out of control.

This was a new extinguisher and is still full but it is old. I know how to operate one and have taught people how to operate them but this one would not function when I needed it to. Luckily I was able to drag it out of the shop and with one of my buckets I use for wet sanding the the wife swimming pool provided the water, I was able to put it out. It did not go out easily as I had to get up under the mowers cover by turning it over and still it would not go out easily. It took several attempts and I was exhausted when I finally got done.

Check them fire extinguishers!!! Go to your local fire department for proper use and they can be bought cheap at most stores. Even a small one can do quite a bit if used correctly. Does not look bad but there is a lot of damage under the cover and you can see how hot the deck got. May have ruined a new mower.
Name:  20170420_091953_zpsfw62ypna.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  271.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like your boys are really doing a good job on the bodywork! It's got to be nice to sit back and be the supervisor for a change!

Sorry to hear about your mower, glad the fire didn't get more out of control and any worse. You make a good point about having a "working" fire extinguisher near by, I have one that's never been used, but I'm sure it so old that it would be useless, I need to get a new one.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread