86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RoBatt's 1989 4runner build *Pic heavy*

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RoBatt's 1989 4runner build *Pic heavy*

Thought id start a build page and see where this goes.

After selling my first car and 4runner (93). Big mistake. I decided i wanted to get a older body style so a couple months passed and i brought this home. Very happy with it so far

The day i brought it home

I have had it about 2 months now and the first thing i did was get rid of the 10 inch wide wheels and replace them with an 8 inch wide.

Got some All American Racing aluminum wheels off craigs for $270, swapped them out the next day, then sold my old wheels for $400 the day after that

Installed. Much better

Oh and i found a way to store the top as well

I have fixed some cosmetic things like the electric antenna and any squirrelly wiring that didnt look right.

Thats all for now

Last edited by RoBatt; 09-28-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good. Whats the plans for it?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bump530
Looks good. Whats the plans for it?
The end game is SAS locked front and rear with a dual transfer case and armor on 37s. Going to try to keep it low. Put a good stereo system in it and some other cosmetic stuff.

Much easier said than done

I recently found out that the bearings need to be repacked and the tie rod needs to be replaced on the IFS

I dont want to put 400-500 into the IFS which i plan to cut off within the next year so im actively looking for a front axle and other parts to get me locked f/r with 5.29s.

Ill be wheeling it in the meantime

Nice build btw

Last edited by RoBatt; 05-01-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a great looking runner you have. To bad about the other runner you had but can understand why.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sold the OG Runner
Old 05-03-2015, 10:48 PM

sexy
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Good looking Runner. I bought mine from the same guy you bought yours from. (If you got it off a dude near Darlington). He had that Runner and didn't like the chrome mirrors, so we tried to take them off to swap them on to the one I bought off him, but the screws were too rusted and couldn't get them off. Hence the broken drivers side plastic piece that's missing off the mirror. Dudes name was Mark if I remember correctly. I bought mine off him back in September. Been a work in progress ever since.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by sshutch82
Good looking Runner. I bought mine from the same guy you bought yours from. (If you got it off a dude near Darlington). He had that Runner and didn't like the chrome mirrors, so we tried to take them off to swap them on to the one I bought off him, but the screws were too rusted and couldn't get them off. Hence the broken drivers side plastic piece that's missing off the mirror. Dudes name was Mark if I remember correctly. I bought mine off him back in September. Been a work in progress ever since.
Yeah man! I bought it from Mark about 2 months ago. Great guy. I read your build and subscribed. I guess you bought the SAS'd one that he was talking to me about that he used to have. Looks really good.

I was curious how the plastic piece on the mirror went missing haha

Im closing in on two geared and locked axles and trial gear kit right now on CL. I plan on starting the SAS when the time changes.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Hey, so the day I picked up mine from him, I told him really liked the stock chrome mirrors and he said he didn't like them. So we decided to swap them to the 4Runner I got from him. He got a screw driver and went to pop that cover off and the tabs broke. The screws were also rusted out, so we just left it, cause I had been driving for 5 hours and had to trailer it back to my house 5 hours away. I guess he threw that cover away. Look forward to your progress!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Update

Look what came in the mail!

I guess I'm committed to the swap now

Old 06-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Nice! Excited to see your progress and how she turns out!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks sshutch!

I've been wanting to do an SAS for 8 years haha. It's a good feeling to finally take a step towards the project.

Took some more pics.

Front axle
85, armored, 5.29s, Detroit locker, 6 shooter knuckles, asin hubs

Rear axle
85, 5.29s, spool

Crossover steering with hydro assist

4 shocks

4 shackles

Brake lines

Old 06-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Looks like a good starting point. What springs are you going to run?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 AM

mmm Nice yota you have there.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:23 PM

Looks like a good starting point. What springs are you going to run?
That's something that i still need to decide... Im thinking about running TG 3 inch springs f/r and removing the 3rd leaf from the top of the front springs. Inspired by ScottyC's orange 4runner he built and sold a while back on 37s.

Here is a link
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108.../#post51976992

Originally Posted by Janos01
mmm Nice yota you have there.
Thanks man. These parts will now sit in my garage and mock me until i can get the rest of what i need and install them :

Another thing i need to decide is if i want to swap the 3rd into my ifs rear axle or not. Does anybody know if it would be worth the trouble to swap the geared and locked third i just bought into the wider ifs axle that is currently on my 4runner? The 85 rear axle did come with the wheel spacers that would make it the IFS width. I believe they are 2 inches each.

I could just sell the rear axle and use the money to fund a geared and locked third to swap into my ifs axle.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by RoBatt; 06-16-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 AM

Swapping out thirds is super easy. Disconnect brakes, unbolt and remove axles (4 nuts for each axle), swap the third out, and then put it back together.

Why not just run RUF and 63s for springs? That's what I would do if I already have all the parts you do.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:51 AM

Swapping out thirds is super easy. Disconnect brakes, unbolt and remove axles (4 nuts for each axle), swap the third out, and then put it back together.

Would the 4cyl third swap right into the v6 IFS axle and vice versa? Would there be any advantage to using the ifs rear axle compared to the 85 axle with wheel spacers?

Why not just run RUF and 63s for springs? That's what I would do if I already have all the parts you do.

The reason i was going to go TG is because i have a better idea of how it will sit when im finished. The rear leafs on the 4runner now are not factory. They are skyjacker and idk how much lift they give. I just figured that going TG springs would be more predictable.

I read through your entire build btw. Looks awesome man!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by RoBatt
I read through your entire build btw. Looks awesome man!
Thanks. Its been a lot of work. Hopefully ill be driving it soon and can start enjoying it.

Yes 4 cyl and v6 3rds are interchangeable. The main advantage I can see to running the IFS rear housing would be not to run wheel spacers. Which the majority of ppl run will spacers on the front, it is another point of failure. Im not sure if there any strength difference between the two.

On the springs, Im not so sure I would run the TG 3" up front. Ive read (and you know everything you read on the internet is true lol) that they give about the same lift as the 4" springs. I also believe they are shorter which would prolly make it more difficult to swap to a RUF setup if you ever decided. Then again I could be completely wrong and the 3" springs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but those are the reasons I went with the 4" springs.

And here is my disclaimer....Its just my opinion. My build thread shows all the experience I have in building these things, so my personal experience is very limited lol. Most of my opinions are based on what Ive read and researched since I haven't even drove my 4runner yet lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks. Its been a lot of work. Hopefully ill be driving it soon and can start enjoying it.

Yes 4 cyl and v6 3rds are interchangeable. The main advantage I can see to running the IFS rear housing would be not to run wheel spacers. Which the majority of ppl run will spacers on the front, it is another point of failure. Im not sure if there any strength difference between the two.

Ok great. I will most likely throw the spooled rear axle for sale on craigslist in the mean time for more than i would usually sell it for to see if someone bites. If they buy i would use the money for a third with a selectable locker, if not ill just swap the two thirds i have.

On the springs, Im not so sure I would run the TG 3" up front. Ive read (and you know everything you read on the internet is true lol) that they give about the same lift as the 4" springs. I also believe they are shorter which would prolly make it more difficult to swap to a RUF setup if you ever decided. Then again I could be completely wrong and the 3" springs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but those are the reasons I went with the 4" springs.

Yeah I will either do the 3" or 4" TG springs. I have read the same thing about the 3" TG springs, but what ScottyC did was remove the third leaf from the top in the front 3" springs and he said its a huge improvement for flex and on the road. I dont want my 4runner to be a skyscraper though. I would like to keep the frame at 23 inches on 37s if possible, Ive seen some tall and low 4runners on 4" springs, but I would rather run the 4" if i know ill be able to keep it low. Im having a hard time making up my mind..... haha

And here is my disclaimer....Its just my opinion. My build thread shows all the experience I have in building these things, so my personal experience is very limited lol. Most of my opinions are based on what Ive read and researched since I haven't even drove my 4runner yet lol.

You seem to have alot more experience than me lol. Im just glad im not the only one commenting on my own build thread.

This was the 4runner he built on 37s with 3 inch springs with a leaf removed. The 4 inch springs would probably give you more travel though. Maybe?

Last edited by RoBatt; 06-19-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is my 4Runner on 35s (15x8) with chevy 63s. still ifs... but when I SAS, I am going to keep them back there and put my old 3" downey rear springs in the front. Going to try and keep it at about the same height I am at now (maybe a tad higher in the front).

Name:  DSC00110-1.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  90.4 KB

Last edited by 881stGenRunner; 06-19-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: RoBatt's 1989 4runner build *Pic heavy*