86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Reluctanse's 1992 4Runner

Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I See the Pilot in photo had "cheap stuff" for $2.60! Ouch!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coopster
I See the Pilot in photo had "cheap stuff" for $2.60! Ouch!
Yeah gas seems to keep going up..

So I was going to swap tailgates today. I have a pretty decent tailgate from a '91 that is the dark red metallic color, its straight, in way better shape than mine. Started prepping it getting ready and found that.... it doesn't have a rear defroster. Now, mine doesn't work, but this was a bit of a deal breaker on the straight swap of the tailgate, so, Plan B came in to place.

Problems with my current tailgate are:
  • Dented (meh?)
  • Missing outside window scraper seal
  • Key doesn't work to raise/lower window
  • Rear defroster doesn't work (could be anything, haven't troubleshot this problem yet)
  • License plate holder area is in BAAAAAD shape
  • crap crap tint job
  • paint..

So rather than straight swap, and have a non-paint matching tailgate, I just took the good parts and installed them on mine. Big thing was the window scraper. Got that swapped over. Also found out why my key doesn't work, all the wires were completed corroded off it. I have another key cylinder, I'm going to call a locksmith tomorrow and see if it can be re-keyed to the key for the rest of the 'runner, and swap it in. Only problem is I'll have to rewire the key switch, apparently somewhere between '91 and '92 they changed the plug style. Thaaaanks someone. So I'll have to cut and splice. I'll keep everyone posted.

Anyways, on to the biggest mods of the day, installed some schwaaaag!

Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Snow wheeling trip today with some friends! Went up to Goat Mountain outside Estacada. Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/45%C2%B007'52.3%22N+122%C2%B017'29.8%22W/@45.131196,-122.2926947,527m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d45.13119 6!4d-122.29161

BFG AT's are awesome! Had zero traction problems whatsover, even stopping half way up an icy hill, was able to get started again. Everyone else in my group had traction problems. Of course they were on bald mud terrains all, except the Range Rover, which apparently only has a center diff with no diff lock? Anyways the weather was great and we had a good time. No real issues encountered. I got to use my Coyote deflators I won on here, which I calibrated yesterday to 12 psi. They worked great, much better way to air down tires!!

Also drove over a scale on the way home, with me, my son, some tools (not much, maybe 25lbs) and some food, scaled out at 4250! That's heavier than I expected.

Pics:

Staging in the parking lot.

4Runner bro's

Mt Hood in the background.

Got super lucky on weather, fog blew in right as we were leaving.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like a good time.
2nd Gen 4runners are one heavy pig. I think even on 35's, cage and crap my 81 Trekker was 3500-3600. ODOT scale on 26 near Hillsboro is a good place for me to hit on the weekend.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Looks like your bud has basically same truck, save a lift, larger tires, etc. Can't tell if he has a SFA?

Pretty good opportunity to do future ability comparisons, you know, 'cuz the paints the same color! Just sayin'.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Would you want to sell that dark red tailgate?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by coopster
Looks like your bud has basically same truck, save a lift, larger tires, etc. Can't tell if he has a SFA?

Pretty good opportunity to do future ability comparisons, you know, 'cuz the paints the same color! Just sayin'.
Yep, so his is SAS, rear leaf conversion, dual cases, rear locker, 35's, oh and OM617 diesel. Although TBH I think I'd rather have the 22RE, his doesn't have that much more power and he seems to have cooling challenges. And mine is pretty much stock as of now except the 33's. So yeah its fun to wheel with him, ha ha. But in the snow, I did better than everyone else, actual decent tires will do that. Had to pull him out once! I was gracious though

Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
Would you want to sell that dark red tailgate?
I could be convinced to part with it. I took it all apart, would want to keep the window motor and probably the license plate frame plastic part. But the regulator could go with it. If you are still interested (keep in mind its completely disassembled at this point) shoot me a PM.

Oh yeah and milage report on the "clear gas" ethanol free? 19.18. So basically no change. Also seems running not so good with the extra cold weather. Not sure what's up with that. There's a definitely reduction in power and it wants to idle high? Not enough to cause problems but noticeable. I guess mark it down for the record and we'll keep trucking!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Snow day!

Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 PM

Well, upgraded the 4runner today....!

It's a 2017 TRD Off-Road, with 6 speed manual. I'm pretty excited. Rear locker too!

Thinking the 4runner going to go up for sale now...
Old 04-01-2017, 03:27 AM

Nice. My dad bought a black automatic long bed i like em
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
congrats dude
Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Realized some pics are missing of the new rig. Was getting the 4runner ready to sell, pulling some of my add-ons off of it for my buddy's 4runner.

Here they are hanging out in the street together.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctanse
hi guys,

recently joined yotatech, but not new to toyota's. Just sold my '82 wheeler and i'm still recovering from that. Used to spend alot of time on pirate back in the day, which in my poor college days got me to this point:

a little video of it in action back in the day:

toyota pickup gets it up the little rubicon hill climb - youtube

unfortunately had to part ways with it... Just didn't have time for it anymore and with 2 kids and a 3rd due in less than a month, needed something a little bigger if i wanted to keep playing.

So i picked up a '92 4runner with 22re to kill 2 birds with one stone - replace my truck as a light-duty off road toy, and also replace my aging '98 lexus es300 as daily driver before the engine falls out and the tranny quits working on it. Still to be determined if i'll be successful or not.

Anyways- bought the 4runner back in august. Already have done a decent amount of work on it. Late to get started with sharing with the yota tech community, but not much to see so far. I do wish i had taken a couple before pictures.
  • the interior was a hot mess
  • the carpet was a disaster
  • i'm surprised the rear u-joint didn't explode on my 2 hour drive home (bought in tacoma, i live in the portland area of oregon, about 160 miles)
  • drivers side rear axle seal was shot
  • exhaust was rusted out
  • front wheels were loose (hub bolts/keepers wrecked)
  • 1 bolt holding the transfer case to the crossmember mount
  • lots of little issues
  • but the a/c blows cold, and it's basically complete

since purchase, i have done the following:
  • new marlin standard duty clutch
  • new rear drive line u-joints
  • upgraded v6 front rotors and calipers
  • replaced front wheel bearings and rebuilt hubs
  • new carpet
  • replaced a bunch of interior and dash parts
  • replaced the rear seats
  • installed an alpine bluetooth enabled stereo
  • installed a lightly used pacesetter header and 2-1/4" exhaust with flowmaster
  • marlin shifter seats
  • started driving it!
  • edit: Stopped driving it.... Lol see below.... It's how they all start i think, ha ha....

once i got it into production (daily driving duty) i noticed it must have an auto-parts store thermostat in it, because the first warm-up cycle of the day it would peg the temp gauge in the red before dropping back to normal. I recall this issue with my old truck when i used a napa brand thermostat. So a week or so ago i figured i would do a "real quick" thermostat swap. Not so...

One of the bolts broke right off in the intake. So- 15 minute job sprawled... And i'm going to pull the head, timing cover, etc., and go through the engine and at least make sure all the gaskets are good, stick a metal timing cover in there from engbldr, etc. Also planning to clean up and paint some components in the process. I will be replacing the tie-rod ends, balljoints, and shocks too.

Here's how it sits at the moment:

just to add to it.. The paint is in terrible shape, so my goal is to paint it next year once my dad gets his shop built and i've got a place to do it. Going to replicate this look and color as close as a garage paint job and my amateur body work skills can accomplish without a total disassembly:

anyways, thanks for the read, i'll shoot for more tech in future updates!
love it!!!