86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure. I bought a few lubes they recomended I should get and need. I'm sure they included everything I needed with what I bought. They know a lot of stuff about cars and trucks. I think they're honest so I think, or better yet, hope that everything I need is covered for already with what I bought.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm thinking about maybe starting to order the missing parts for an SAS. Just to have them ready you know. Also wanted to clean up the axle this Saturday and possibly spray paint it black.

By the way do any of you guys know of any people here in Southern CA who have done a SAS job before. I'm sure I can do it myself and have my dad weld whatever needs welding. But just in case as a backup just to have handy in case I fail at it.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to hear the parts came in for you. That is usually the biggest hold up. You would have a far better chance out your way then I would finding someone who has done a SAS.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Yea this mechanic has a big problem answering his Damn phone. Ive tried calling every day this week about 3 times each day. Just to get an update or something because this truck shoupd have been ready already. It's really nerve racking when the only way you get updates is if ur the only one that calls and even more when he never answers the phone.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
I'm thinking about maybe starting to order the missing parts for an SAS. Just to have them ready you know. Also wanted to clean up the axle this Saturday and possibly spray paint it black.

By the way do any of you guys know of any people here in Southern CA who have done a SAS job before. I'm sure I can do it myself and have my dad weld whatever needs welding. But just in case as a backup just to have handy in case I fail at it.
I can't help you out on recommending a reputable fabricator to help you on your SAS, but I believe you could do it on your own. On my 4runner build was the first time I ever attempted doing a SAS. The only problem I ran into was finding someone to cut out the holes in the frame for the shackle tubes to go into. But if you have, or know someone with a plasma cutter, the rest is pretty straight forward. My advice is to just continue doing research on SAS, (thers alot of good build threads here) and do like you said collecting parts for your SAS and you will be able to save a lot of $$$ and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. I hope everything turns out good with your motor, that sucks that you can't get ahold of your mechanic!

Last edited by rustED; 06-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Well I know my dad used to weld. I mean he does tile work now. But before ooooo a long time ago before i was born he used to weld. He still has his welding machines and tons of heavy duty drills he might be able to use to make holes into the frame. But as far as a plasma cutter I am not sure. Id have to ask him.

I have confidence in him. im sure he could pull it off. I just need to know where exactly we have to weld the pieces on and drill the holes into the frame. That is my big concern.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Well I know my dad used to weld. I mean he does tile work now. But before ooooo a long time ago before i was born he used to weld. He still has his welding machines and tons of heavy duty drills he might be able to use to make holes into the frame. But as far as a plasma cutter I am not sure. Id have to ask him.

I have confidence in him. im sure he could pull it off. I just need to know where exactly we have to weld the pieces on and drill the holes into the frame. That is my big concern.
For around $40 you can buy the frame tubes and the jigs. (The jigs are a template that show you where to cut the holes) well worth the money, and you cut the hole in the frame directly beneath the front body mount, (located behind the front tire)

Last edited by rustED; 06-07-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Does that also show where to weld?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Does that also show where to weld?
Yeah, that top pic I posted, your welding in the frame tube into the hole that you cut out for the front shackle, you also need to weld in the front spring hanger that you canbuy, I built my own.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Oh sweet I'm definitely gonna have to buy those.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM

So i found out yesterday that my dad doesnt have a plasma cutter. So i might be screwed on this part lol. but i still am willing to do the SAS i would just need to find a place to rent one or something if they even rent such an expensive tool. IT'll definitely be a really fun project. if all else fails i can always take it to the same guy that my next door neighbor took his truck to to have the 2 wide chevy axles installed on his truck.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure on renting them. Try A1 Rentals. One by me on Crenshaw. You'll get it!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM

You live near Crenshaw? Damn u are closer then I thought. Well if I can rent one ill go ahead and do that and just get it back to them on the same day. (hopefully crossing fingers)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Right off Crenshaw and PCH about 2 miles up the hill
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Like the "Can Do" attitude. That works in alot of differnt areas.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Off Subject but relevant.

Oh hell yea! I am so pumped to start working on this baby and get this done. First time for everything and this is one thing i'd be proud to say i was able to do myself. I know this is off subject from my 4runner but i promis you its relevent to the motivation toward my 4runner lol

I was PM'ing Chef yesterday and i went to test drive a 99 4x4 taco for my girl and that truck was just massive. Testdriving that truck gave me a huge HIGH and gave me the "juice" i needed to wanna stay dedicated to my runner. Anyway here was the part of the conversation i sent to him about my experience with it....

Dude we checked that truck out that thing was huge!!! 3" body lift with what seemed like a 5-6inch lift and the tires....! Omg! Those tires were huge I think they were like 15" wide Idk but they were way wider then my 12.5 wide tires. And they were up to my waist they were HUGE!. It felt like I was literally driving a monster truck. It was a bit too much lift for my taste. It had a oil leak, and something would knock under the truck when i was driving it. I think it was the transmission cuz ive heard that sound before in my moms car before her transmission f'd up. All i know is that it didn't sound good. And the motor was way too small or under powered to handle those huge tires and i doubt it even had the right gearing for those tires because i had to play with the clutch alot when taking off so it wouldnt turn off. It definitely wasn't worth $8k

I did, however, have a chance to drive it off road. They just so happened to be doing construction work on the side of the road and everyone was already gone. When he suggested to try the 4x4out (whether he was playing around or not) I did not hesitate to try it lol like a third of a block worth of dirt and rocks and mounds and concrete piles. It was fun!

I forgot how fun off roading is. It's been over 3 years since I've had my red 4x4 pickup truck. And over 3&1/2-4 years since my last off road trip. Now I remember what it feels like. God I can't wait to get my 4runner back now. I'm so f'n motivated now. Lol

I needed that test drive.

We said no to the truck though. It had too many problems. Too many leaks. a few from the motor, looked like one maybe off the transmission, and the front shocks looked pretty worn, Paint was all scratched up, dings here and there, and even though id have the parking break off and pushed all the way in the light was still on(i dont know if it was a defective light or something was truly wrong with the breaks. Everything about the truck told me NO. it was just a bad feeling about it.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Alright! Going to go pick up my truck in about 3 hours! I'll hit you guys up with pix later on tonight. Wish me luck guys, hopefully it runs like new.... Well it should considering it was rebuilt lol
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Richard, ...... DOMO DANCE OF HAPPINESS FOR YA!!! >>>>

Hahah... Man, you must be so stoked! So, ..... are they breaking it in for ya, resetting the valve lash after the 20 minute break in, etc.? Or is that all stuff you're doing?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Sweet! Ill bet you're chomping at the bit to go get it! Good luck, look forward to the pics!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Ah crap man i really dont know. Dont scare me bro! I'll ask him if there is anything i need to do or anything else he needed to test before i leave.

Quick Reply: Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection