86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Install Fuses Close to Battery

Oh, never mind... wrong post but could not delete

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-13-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Rad, is this what you're looking for? It was $2.50 I remembered your post on Chef's thread last night. I knew it was gonna be real cheap so picked it up. There's a a little crack in the upper right corner that I put some tape on, but I believe that piece tucks under the edge molding so it isn't seen anyhow.

Name:  IMG_0094-1.jpg
Views: 7414
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0093.jpg
Views: 7728
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0092.jpg
Views: 7664
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 7498
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 7325
Size:  49.6 KB

I went back to the yard because I was in Irwindale visiting a friend and it was 10 minutes away. Went to grab those bilstein shocks I saw even though I don't need them, but too good to just leave there, BUT they were gone already Oh well, as long as someone is making use of them and they aren't getting scrapped.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
YOU DA MANNNNNNN, GREGO! Seriously man, that was very cool of ya!

I think RAD is possibly at an Air Show... not sure. I WOULD GUESS El Toro? hahaha...

AWESOME! I'm gonna make sure I have that list of yours posted up... Although it's gotten SERIOUSLY smaller! lol... You and I and I guess Richard, in case he gets over there again some time.... We should all have a running list saved in "notes" or something in our phones, ya know? I've looked EVERY TIME for your Digital Cluster... but I REALLY think that's a "hope and a prayer"-ville type thing, hahaha... But hey, that spoiler and the seats? YA KNOW? Never can be sure, no doubt!

RAD, .... posted up a pic or 2 on my thread, and Bryan89 stopped in.... I'm just trying to finalize a couple things and I can start cutting the panels, etc.

L8R T8R's!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM

PS> Grego... those are 4Runner panels? How trippy... I wouldn't have a CLUE, lol... I've never taken off any til recently... (and not those, either)... Just learned how to carefully remove the back seat area panels... Few months before that was the first time I actually removed some rear panels(those ones I got in Mint Condition from Pick-your-part.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope that's what he wants??!!! I didn't think nothing of it since it was only a couple of bucks, if not, no big deal ya know?

Last edited by Grego92; 10-14-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to suggest you'd gotten it wrong... We'd spoken of how the Pick up are different.. so I figured you knew and grabbed 4Runner ones, lol... They look better than many I've seen, that's for sure!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You brought up some funny memories on Marks thread. I was a FC3 and worked on CIWS on the USS Okinawa and then worked on The Mk86 Gunfire Control System as a radar tech on the USS Peleiu. I had a friend that had only been on the Tripoli for 3 days when you guys found that mine the hard way. He was FC3 William Watson and worked on the Basic Point Missle Defense System.

He got out a year earlier then I did and joind the California National Guard and that tank that was all over the news, it was his unit that got the tank stolen from them. I knew a guy on the Okinalwa that got his car crushed by that tank.

I am betting you were an ET by the depth of knowledge you have on electronic circuits. We had the YUK7 if I recall right and we were trained on it but the ETs made our lives alot easier with that computer when we had problems with it.

Now I am in the Missouri National Guard and am in a transportation unit and have done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and those little things that ruined your beauty sleep, they now put out on the roads. I would of stayed on the Navy side, but here in the midwest, you have so far to travel to a reserve unit. I dont have much longer and then I am getting out for good.

I recently got a friends request from Watson on my facebook page. Still havent talked to him, but we were always competeing against each other in pool and seems like the last game I played him I broke into the 50th game first. I think the score was like I have won 50 games and he has won 48 out of all of the games we have played each oher. I am sure I will see him again someday and we will play against each other. He might catch up quick as I have played pool in several years now. Those were some good times until the politics got all crazy. Miss those days in someways.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-16-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Relocate Console Switches - Prep for Cup Holder

So folks, finally finished relocating my console switches to the dash to make way for future cup holder.

To remove radio section faceplate, remove this front screw, left & right sides:

Pop these tabs out;

Work area is under Driver's Seat:
Before:

I do not need seat buckle switch so I removed and will re-use as connectors for my overhead deck lamp for when top has to come off. If you want to keep as much wire on the connector as possible, trace white one where it splices into others along threshold. Trace black wire all the way back to kick panel connector. Cut but leave 2-3 inches on latter connector for future use.
Label each wire before cutting. Make sure both sides have labels .
Splice approx 4 feet of additional wire to segment of wire on connector/switch side.

I ran harness along here:

Route wires so you have enough slack to handle connectors when removing or installing face plate.

New Harness Routing.
3/8-inch conduit tube is too thin. Better to use 0.5-inch diameter one.

Notch Transmission Cover To Clear Harness:
Front

Rear

Checking Clearances:
Make harness hug the plastic so repeated shifting does not disturb it.

Rear Clearance:

Front Clearance:

Final Product:

Window switches here.

Where lock switch went, there is already a capped opening- just pop cap off. Fits standard 4Runner switch profile.
Where Up/Down switch is there was cut-out waiting to be cut. Just cut tabs off and clean up. Save this tab for template for additional switch locations. To mount a third switch between the 2, use tab above as template. Make sure you make opening slightly smaller than the template. I used tiny dill bit to outline the cut, finish cut with thin soldering tip, and cleaned up with needle file.

Wiper Switch logically belongs here; Forward of windshield wiper lever. I used tab above as template. I used tiny dill bit to outline the cut, finished cut with thin soldering tip, and cleaned up with needle file.

If you have cruise control switch here, mount wiper switch together with window switches above the radio.

Available Real Estate: My Console Begging Me to Mod Her for a Cupholder =D

keywords: relocateconsoleswitches consoleswitches consoleswitch relocateconsoleswitch

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-06-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM

RAD, ... wow, man... ANOTHER great application with plenty of great write up! I feel like I used to do that so well, hahaha... NOW, figuring things out as I go... it's like 4 pages to have a couple pics and VERY hard to follow path to whatever it is lol.

GREAT WORK! You're GREAT with details, man! Must be the 'ENGINEER' IN YA!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks clean! All three of my switches are dangling by my shifters since I installed my tuffy console and took out my broken shift bezel....I have plans to extend the wiring too but wasn't sure where to! On my radio bezel I have what look like cutouts where you have switches mounted...though they aren't cut out yet...they are the rectangular shape and look like they could pop out if...persuaded. how did you do yours without breaking the bezel? Enough room behind for switches I imagine?

Also, where you have the third switch is where I have cruise control switch...boooo!

Great work, very inspiring
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Oh yes, I almost forgot...... I HATE YOU for your mad skills! hahahaha. JK, ... again, very nice. And I too, as Phil, have Cruise control there. BUT, Phil..... those are pop outs. They easily come out.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
On my radio bezel I have what look like cutouts where you have switches mounted...though they aren't cut out yet...they are the rectangular shape and look like they could pop out if...persuaded. how did you do yours without breaking the bezel? Enough room behind for switches I imagine?
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Oh yes, I almost forgot...... I HATE YOU for your mad skills! hahahaha. JK, ... again, very nice. And I too, as Phil, have Cruise control there. BUT, Phil..... those are pop outs. They easily come out.
Thanks guys!
Chef, LOL!

Philbert, yes, one just pops out, one a cut-out waiting to be cut, and for wiper switch, I had to make opening. Added details to orig. post. Yes, Those place fit switches very well.
Plastic where wiper switch is on is to thin to engage the mounting tabs in back, but no problem because switch is operated with a push either way.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Ahhh, ok.. Well, I had an easy pop out on one side.... And on the other, my OEM Power Antenna Switch. I didn't know that one was more of a easy-cut-out, right? Hmmmm... I have 2 spare bezels that both have those pop out things like I said... Easy "squeeze and push out" types.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting help please

Hey everyone, I am new here and really do admire everyone for having such passionate love for toyota trucks and sharing the knowledge. I do as well. I am having the problem that rad4runner is covering and I think I have a different need here as I can not find my starter relay. It looks as thought it has been removed as you will see in the pictures too. I looked in behind the dash and tore it all out and found every other relay and the ECM but still no starter relay. I am curious what this switch/knob is on top of my heater core housing? Has it got something to do with my heat. Any ideas on where else my Starter Relay could be would be much appreciated. I must have a molested truck wiring obviously. Thanks, Bradley
Attached Images    
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BradleyS
...I am having the problem that rad4runner is covering and I think I have a different need here as I can not find my starter relay. It looks as thought it has been removed as you will see in the pictures too. I looked in behind the dash and tore it all out and found every other relay and the ECM but still no starter relay. I am curious what this switch/knob is on top of my heater core housing? Has it got something to do with my heat. Any ideas on where else my Starter Relay could be would be much appreciated. I must have a molested truck wiring obviously. Thanks, Bradley
Oh man,
First, it would help if we know what model your truck is. Starter relay only appeared on the 1986 Runner. Not sure about Pick up- Would someone please chime in?

Second, Your truck is probably un-molested; You're just looking in the wrong place What's hiding under dash behind glove comp is your Circuit Opening Relay. It does not affect cranking system.

On 1986-1988 Runners Starter relay is here

Best of luck

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-25-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Oh man,
First, it would help if we know what model your truck is. Starter relay only appeared on the 1986 Runner. Not sure about Pick up- Would someone please chime in?

Second, Your truck is probably un-molested; You're just looking in the wrong place What's hiding under dash behind glove comp is your Circuit Opening Relay. It does not affect cranking system.

On 1986-1988 Runners Starter relay is here

Best of luck
Thanks RAD4runner, Sorry I assumed since I was in the late 80s section it wasnt necessary. my bad!
It is a 1986 SR5 pickup. I guess you cant see in the pictures I uploaded because they are too small but the area on the passenger side fender between the wiper motor and the fuse box under the hood is void of a starter relay. My Curcuit Opening Relay is above the ECM on the passenger side. I found it, but like I said Ive found everything but the Starter Relay.I dont have a factory service manual so I have no clue if mine was made from factory withour one or not?? Any idea? At this point I have taken out the whole dash and console. Still nothing!
Is there a way to wire to the fusible link to correct the voltage drop issue if I dont have the starter relay?
Thanks, Bradley.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 AM

1986 SR5 pickup

Oh and by the way, it is an Automatic too. Thanks, Bradley.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Bradly... it's impossible to say where it 'MIGHT' be... BUT, there has to be a way to bypass it written up already in the site... SOMEWHERE .... Hmmmmmm... I hate when they do that to these trucks, turn them into spaghetti soup all over... Sorry bout that, man .....

What I don't understand, to a point.... Did this run, then you tore into it and put it back together and now it's not running? All you've said is, "I am having a similar, yet different problem from RAD"... hehehe... Not being critical, just razzin a bit... NEE MORE INFO on History, etc.

1. Did it run, EVER, for you?/Start?

2. I'm guessing you're not getting a 'CLICK' from the Starter Solenoid, as well as no cranking, right?

It's very possible that;

A. It never had a Starter relay(not likely on a 22RE)....

B. The PO deleted it(thinking it was a problem/was cool to delete/whatever..... haha)

One thing that will stop you DEAD on the 'CHUGGA-CHUGGA-CHUGGA' turning over dept is the IGN Fuse in the Kick Panel. CAN'T hurt to start there. If he's bypassed something, it could easily have blown that fuse.(driver side kick panel, bottom right, one up from bottom, IIRC)...

Get FULL SIZE PICS and post them through Photobucket... (FIRST THINGS FIRST.... USE THE ''CLASSIC'' version of PB.... I didn't like the new version and my instructions will SUCK if you don't have the old one, hehehe... ) >> It's a few steps,...there are apps, and within minutes you'll have a free account with them. Just save em to there under a 'named album'.... "Spaghetti Soup" or somehing? hehe... Then once uploaded, click 'save and continue to my album'.... Then on the bottom of 4 links provided on each pic (IMG).... copy and then simply paste it over here.. ORRRRRR, better, in a new thread you've started....( NOT being tough on ya... I know what it's like... BUT, it's best to start your own thread in order to get all the 'GURUS' over there and trying to help you solve it! They LIVE for that stuff, until and if you're difficult/ungrateful or don't do what they ask... then say goodbye! lol)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
It never had a Starter relay(not likely on a 22RE)....

B. The PO deleted it(thinking it was a problem/was cool to delete/whatever..... haha)

One thing that will stop you DEAD on the 'CHUGGA-CHUGGA-CHUGGA' turning over dept is the IGN Fuse in the Kick Panel.

Get FULL SIZE PICS and post them through Photobucket... (
Guys,

Yes, quite possible that starter relay appeared only mid-1986. Bradley, it woul be best if you can find schematic for your pick up, Altho my FSM for 1986 Runner says it includes trucks as well.

Anyway, whether there is/was a starter relay or not, the sound way to do it is to have starter relay.
First: Need to find out how power from start contact (ST1) of ignition switch gets to this connector that gets plugged into the starter solenoid here.

Once that is found, wiring a relay into the system is inexpensive, and simple - just like you would wire aux lights. OR you can get a hot shot (pls see 4Crawler's site for that).

IGN fuse does not affect cranking, only fuel, ECU and ignition
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Ahhhhh, ... thanks, RAD, ... I don't wanna steer him the wrong way. Just not time to go 'Schematic/Proverbial Cliff Diving' right now hehehe... PLUS, you have a MUCH better grasp of them, FULLY, ... whereas I'm still learning that stuff. Thanks for clearing that up

Quick Reply: RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up