86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood. That's what all of that would cost new (rough guestimate of prices). I'm out $1,000, two tanks of gas, some beef jerky & big red, and most of a rainy Saturday.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joelsmithdesigns
I think you may have misunderstood. That's what all of that would cost new (rough guestimate of vprices). I'm out $1,000, two tanks of gas, some beef jerky & big red, and most of a rainy Saturday.
Ohhh you only paid a stack for all that??? My man
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Yeah, sorry....a buddy of mine got me saying "grr" for "Grand". It would have been a deal just for the turbo alone, but with the winch and skid plate thrown in, it made it that much more sweet.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Sweet baby jesus, this is karma coming back around for bending you over with the red runner.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Just got off the phone with Wes from LCE. They've got the pickup scheduled for the crated red-top motor. Excited that it'll finally be done right.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
That's a heck of a parts score!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 AM

Had to go out of town for work for a couple of days, but did get a few things done before I went.

Got the winch mounted (had to take the front grille out as well as the lights off the front bumper). What Idiot designed this thing with such little tolerance! Extremely tight fit! Tried getting it in there several different times, twisting it this way and that, and definitely screamed "PIVOOOOOT"! a couple of times, but finally got it. I'll have to mount the solenoid pack over to the side, but that's not a big deal. I also had some interference once it was bolted up between the clutch handle and the bottom of the grille. A lot of people would have just notched out the grille, but I grabbed my little used Oxygen sensor wrench (forgot why I bought this) and was able to bend the handle down so it didn't contact the grille when swinging it back and forth.

Here's a few shots of the winch installed (sorry the pics aren't great, it was dusk and couldn't get the camera to flash).

Also got the gorilla nuts swapped out for the OEM lug nuts. Nice little pop of chrome and cheap upgrade for security. I think I paid $30 from summit.

Not sure if I had the skid plate upside down, or it isn't the version for the IFS (I think his truck was a solid axle). So I'll probably have to cut, drill, bend, and tap it until I can get it to work, but will look really nice once it's done.

I'm headed to the GoodGuys Spring nationals at Texas Motor Speedway tomorrow (missed the off road show last weekend when driving up to Oklahoma) and should have the rest of the weekend to work on stuff. Hopefully it'll be productive.

I've also got several hundred dollars worth of "Store Credit" at Home Depot that I've been sitting on and may try to see if I can order some stuff that's normally only offered online to have it shipped to the store and buy it there. (Stainless shackles, synthetic winch rope for that other warn M8000, tow chain, more diamond tread vinyl, etc).
Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM

LCE got the motor in, and it doesn't look good.....

F. U. C. K. My. Life.

Last edited by joelsmithdesigns; 03-22-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Uh oh...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 AM

Ominous...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I hope things get better.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 AM

So after running the motor on the dyno and experiencing the same thing I was, they tore it down. Apparently the machine shop had re-used the crank from the first motor that blew without bringing it back to stock or using the correct bearings to make up for however much they had to grind it. Not sure if you guys remember or not, but both thrust washers were curled up in the oil pan on that motor and it had about a 1/4" of play front to back where the crank was colliding with the mains and toasted that block. Of course when I pulled the low mileage motor out of a truck at the junk yard, it had a crank in it, so I'm not sure why they would have reused the old one that had been colliding over the crank that was in the junkyard motor (heck, I've got three of them sitting in the corner of my livingroom at the moment). Some questions in life will never be answered.

The block is toast. The crank is junk. the rods may be salvageable, but not likely. Those fancy Keith Black Pistons are pretty much gone. The out of spec crank was causing so much piston slap that it created a divot in the cylinder walls and they don't make a thrust washer thick enough to bring it back.

Good news is that the head isn't bad, nor is the timing cover, crank scraper, and a few other parts.

Bad news is that I basically need an entirely new shortblock after spending an embarrassing amount on this one that will probably find it's way to the bottom of Lake Havasu .

May be some big things moving and shaking this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm looking at several options on how to move forward and LCE is working with me to help figure out what I want to do.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 AM

I'd be suing the britches off of the machine shop. You have documentation of their mistakes.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 AM

I've already posted a warning in the DFW area engine builders section. I'll let Karma work out the rest and hope she tips her hat my way at some point.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM

If your ass got screwed, they should get sued.

they should at least replace it. I would contact them. That is rediculous. Talk about pain and suffering, just re read your own thread.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM

I'm not a litigious type person, but suing them is my gut reaction too.

at least open a claim with the BBB.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM

^^^^seriously. You work hard for your money like every other red blooded American. Get it back.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Pay up $ucker

Paid up with LCE.....they're going to fix it all up and send it back to me turnkey already broken in and rings seated.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Busy

camping trip to Oklahoma last weekend with the girlfriend a her son, Headed out to a ranch in NM this weekend.

Haven't heard anything back on the engine, and haven't had much time at all to work on anything. However, I'm somewhat excited.....I found some front seats for the '86 4Runner and the price was awesome....FREE! They're out of an early 2000's Volvo 2 door convertible and are all electric with the rear passenger lever to kick them forward and 3 different memory settings for positions. Did I mention grey leather (that matches the interior currently), and heated / cooled (if I decide to hook that up). Obviously I'm going to have to modify the brackets a bit, but a quick test fit yesterday had them going in pretty well. If these actually work out, I may think about trying to keep them for my rig!

Upcoming weekend with nothing to do but work on the trucks, so hopefully something will get done.

Quick Reply: Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build