86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Pulling motor out of 89 Toyota and putting used one in help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling motor out of 89 Toyota and putting used one in help?

Looking to put used motor in my truck. The truck has 22re and it staled on me the started knocking but it sounded like it was on every rotation. Had a couple people look at it because I am not the best at motors. The said try replacing rocker arms. So I did it. Same thing was happing. So I got another truck for cheap. 400 dollars bad trans but got the 22re with 150 thousand miles and runs. Now I want to swap them. How do I start ? Kinda want steps. Like I said not the greatest at engines but I try. I can't find anything on line. Also when I pull used motor I want to give it a clean up and tune up. And paint it before putting it in truck... What should I do to make sure everything is good on motor before putting it in or should I replace anything on it first? ? Help plez thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM

Theres some factory service manuals here http://web.archive.org/web/200807310...ttora.com/fsm/

Get a Haynes/Chiltons book. It doesn't go step by step for pulling the motor but if you follow the steps to remove the head and stop before you actually remove the head you are basically there. Pull off remaining wires/sensors. Remove and set aside a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump. The alternator can come all the way off but leave the p/s pump and the a/c connected to their hoses. Remove starter and then disconnect the transmission bell housing. Unbolt from motor mounts and out it comes.

The overall theme is to just start at the top and work your way down removing everything along the way. You actually don't need to pull the intake side off so long as you can get all the vac-lines and sensor wires off. I pulled it all off just to make it easier to lift out.

Instructions are great but the KEY is to take photos, draw pictures, bag bolts, and label, label, label. Get some paint pens, they write great on metal and you can color code stuff (blue circle-to-blue circle, red square-to-red square, etc)

There are differences from year-to-year with the ECU but I'm not sure what they are and what's compatible. I'll let someone else fill you in on that.

Last edited by derockus; 04-18-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Thank I will .also how would you recommend cleaning up new used motor before placing it in to the truck I plan on starting tomorrow and pulling a all nighter then again till its done. ? I would like to look over the used new motor making sure nothing's going to need replacing before I put it in
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM

so much to check there. how serious are you about it is the question? if you take the oil pan off and the crank bearings need to be replaced are you gonna do it? kinda feels like you're just looking to do this swap as cheap as possible. replacing the headgasket, timing chain, timing chain guides, oil pump, water pump, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, front and rear main seals are all gonna be easier when the motor is on a stand and not in the truck.

i think at a minimum you should do the timing chain and guides. the old ones are plastic and are well known to fail. get metal backed guides.

if you take the head off to do the headgasket take the head to a shop and have them check it for cracks, warping. you can pay them to fix it up too.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Well I am and I'm not I am down to one car between my wife and I. But I don't like half assing things. I really can't aford to take it to anyone . I will do what I can on that list and defently do the timing chain and guides. But if I pull timing chain should I go ahead and replace cam valves and rocker arms?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulling a 22re on a Toy takes a few hours.
Unhook everything that is connected. Exhaust, bell housing bolts, intake plumbing, all coolant hoses, all wiring like fuel injectors and sensors and pull the radiator.

If you have AC you can simply let the compressor lay to the side still connected to its hoses.

Depending on your hoist you might need to remove the hood.
I usually do anyways as its only 4 bolts and makes access to rear areas 100times easier.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cleaning the new motor can be done with Simple Green or the like and elbow grease.

If it was running and only has 150k on it I'd just throw it in and run it especially if its a factory motor and not a rebuilt.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running

If it was running and only has 150k on it I'd just throw it in and run it especially if its a factory motor and not a rebuilt.
I agree, you got a motor for $400, throw it in and go. The timing can wait. It's not terrible to do in the truck.

There is just too great a spectrum of stuff that could need to be fixed. You might fix 5 things just to have the 6th break. Or you do 0 things and the 6th breaks anyway, but at least you didn't throw a bunch of money at it.

Good luck