86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project "Striper" Build Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by magnet18
subscribed, good luck!

Hope you keep the stripes!
the stripes are here to stay. I'll be painting the truck this summer, exactly as it looks now. I am, in now way qualified to mask out clean ass stripes but I've got a plan that involves photos taken of the truck now and a projector to transfer the layout onto the truck. Should be a fun build-up, will document here. Thanks for reading!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Heironymous Josch
the stripes are here to stay. I'll be painting the truck this summer, exactly as it looks now. I am, in now way qualified to mask out clean ass stripes but I've got a plan that involves photos taken of the truck now and a projector to transfer the layout onto the truck. Should be a fun build-up, will document here. Thanks for reading!
cool!
I like the design, does it look like factory stickers, or more like someone with a spray can? I see what looks like overspray towards the bottom

​​​​​​my wife now wants me to copy the design when I paint mine this summer​
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Well, ole Striper is the real deal. Just pulled out of my drive 350 miles from home base with a new cap, wheels and some other odds and ends. Hope you guys make it home in good shape. Sure did enjoy the visit.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Striper" Build Thread-stripers-visit-1.jpg   Project "Striper" Build Thread-stripers-visit-2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Charchee
Well, ole Striper is the real deal. Just pulled out of my drive 350 miles from home base with a new cap, wheels and some other odds and ends. Hope you guys make it home in good shape. Sure did enjoy the visit.
Well, we rolled back into the Big Sleazy around 11pm and consumed a couple much deserved beers. It was a great day and thanks again to Charchee for his hospitality. We got some good parts, a good story and a new friend! Drive back was smooth sailing. I'm going to get those alloys cleaned up and hopefully get my tires installed this week, will post up pics for sure.

Thanks again for the spots of motor and gear oil!

Last edited by Heironymous Josch; 03-26-2017 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Cuz
Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 AM

cool!
I like the design, does it look like factory stickers, or more like someone with a spray can? I see what looks like overspray towards the bottom

​​​​​​my wife now wants me to copy the design when I paint mine this summer​
What you're seeing at the bottom isn't overspray, I thought the same thing at first. It's actually the last remnants of a color that has all but faded away in the sun. I'm pretty sure it's paint, rather than vinyl decal. I can see overspray on the inside lip of the tailgate and couple of other spots. This leads me to believe that it's just a good custom stripe job but I have met one guy, a Toyota enthusiast in Denver that swears it was a special addition, said he'd pay $5000 for it, even if it had a dead motor. Now, you know how some people can be, well, wrong. So, who knows.

Dude, if you and your wife are that into the stripes, you should do it! It would be awesome to have a striper crew! I'm painting mine in June, when were you planning to do yours?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM

working on a few other things, got a hefty to do list in my build thread, but I plan to spray it myself sometime this spring or early summer. My dad also has a jeep he wants to paint, so we plan to turn his garage into a paint booth,
Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Well, I ordered tires yesterday, a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrain TA-KO2's to mount on my SR5 alloys (thanks Charchee!). Now the truck is going to be a dog until I can switch from the stock 4.10's to 4.88's. I'm in the market for stock 4.88 third members, so if you have some of know someone that does, send me my way!

If I don't find any, I'll be doing a ring and pinion swap front and back. I'd much rather just swap out the diffs.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Pics??
I've been thinking about some 31" BFG AT KOs
or goodyear silent armours, but i hear mixed things about bigger goodyears
Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
every time i see your thread pop up, i misread it as stripper. always cracks me up. i really think you need to put a brass pole in the back once you get it all painted up.
^^^That's funny, I always misread the title as stripper too, I second the brass pole idea, It would be a good theme for when you take the top off and go "topless" lol.
Originally Posted by Heironymous Josch
Well, I ordered tires yesterday, a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrain TA-KO2's to mount on my SR5 alloys (thanks Charchee!). Now the truck is going to be a dog until I can switch from the stock 4.10's to 4.88's. I'm in the market for stock 4.88 third members, so if you have some of know someone that does, send me my way!
I think you'll be happy with the KO2'S I've had mine for a little over a year and really like them.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I had 33x10.5 BFG ATs on my old runner and loved them. Put 40k and 3 wheeling trips on them before I sold the truck and they still looked brand new.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 AM

Pics??
I've been thinking about some 31" BFG AT KOs
or goodyear silent armours, but i hear mixed things about bigger goodyears
No pics yet! I ordered the tires from Discount Tire Direct, $740 to my doorstep. Walmart will mount and balance them for $80 and I'll install them myself. I ordered a new set of 24 lug nuts that arrived yesterday, I expect the tires here Thursday or Friday. I will most definitely post pics once they're on!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about the All Terrain TA's, I ran 31x10.50's on my Hilux in Australia, loved them.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 AM

You ordered 24 brand new lug nuts from toyota, right?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 AM

You ordered 24 brand new lug nuts from toyota, right?
Uh oh. Now I'm nervous. I ordered a set online, not from Toyota, a company called DP Accessories. All specs the same as the factory mag seat lugs that came factory. Did I make a mistake?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
^^^That's funny, I always misread the title as stripper too, I second the brass pole idea, It would be a good theme for when you take the top off and go "topless" lol.
This explains all the interest this thread has gotten and the constant request for pics.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM

As long as they are the factory spec and not the acorn style lug nuts. Also, make sure they lug centric balance the wheels. Even though stock Alloys are both hub and lug centric, you can get an uneven balance by just going the quickie way most places do and going hub centric. My 33x10.5s wouldn't balance and I thought I had a bad set until I made them lug centric balance them. The tire guys hate doing it because they have to use an adapter on the machine and it takes a few more minutes, but oh well, you just spent a grand to buy them.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 AM

As long as they are the factory spec and not the acorn style lug nuts. Also, make sure they lug centric balance the wheels. Even though stock Alloys are both hub and lug centric, you can get an uneven balance by just going the quickie way most places do and going hub centric. My 33x10.5s wouldn't balance and I thought I had a bad set until I made them lug centric balance them. The tire guys hate doing it because they have to use an adapter on the machine and it takes a few more minutes, but oh well, you just spent a grand to buy them.
I reckon the lug nuts are going to be fine but now I'm nervous about my plan to have Walmart Auto mount and balance the tires. I do know a reputable family-owned place I can go to instead but they'll be a little more for mount and balance. I would have loved to give them the tire sale as well but they were $400 more than I could get them on the net and Discount Tire didn't charge me shipping. As much as I hate taking my business away from a local independent joint and giving it to an anonymous internet corporation, I can't really argue with the price savings.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 AM

No actual discount tire stores in your area?
theyre who i use, always had good service
Plus they love my truck

Walmart auto in my area are terrible
Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM

i concour. Discount tire are my go to guys ever since Les Schwab Screwed over my dad one time.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:18 AM

No actual discount tire stores in your area?
theyre who i use, always had good service
Plus they love my truck

Walmart auto in my area are terrible
Unfortunately no. Which is a shame, I've had good luck with them in the past too. I actually ended up buying my tires off their website because I had googled "Discount Tires near me."

I have called a well known local shop with good reviews that's been around forever and they'll mount and balance for $25 a tire. I asked them specifically about lug-centric balancing and they said that wouldn't be a problem at all.

The tires came in yesterday, I'm going to head over to that shop early Saturday morning and be first in line. Pics to follow.

Search this Thread