86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project IT SLEEPS

Old 01-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my shackle angle to set properly in the lazy way. I have one shackle in the last pic you can see near vertical. Moved while I welding. Do you think things will settle down? I also made frame supports for both sides because I had to murder my frame from my fully welded frame tube (my mistake) now I tacked things in now. Both sides are fairley evenly angled looking from the side except that one in the pic closest to you. Everything is near close to measurement and as perfect I can get it. Hope not having a 100 percent acuracy on measurements won't throw much off.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 PM

Ok this is my sr5 cluster. I need some help with this. I plan on using this for the ls swap. I know about the tacometer and stuff. But has anyone else used these stock gauges on any other swaps? Hopefully this can help others as well with your help. I do plan on giving some of the others in this cluster a try once I get it running.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool build, you're making some awesome progress!
On your SAS, I was looking closely at your leafspring pics, is it possible that you mounted your springs facing the wrong way? Its hard to tell from your pics, but if the springs aren't facing the right way that would affect your shackle angle since the center pin isn't centered equal distance from eye to eye. There's a longer side (I think it's like 25" from center pin to spring eye and the shorter side is like 22" from center pin to spring eye). Just something to double check, otherwise you could always move the front hanger back some to correct the shackle angle more. Look forward to your seeing some more progress!

Last edited by rustED; 02-06-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by rustED
Cool build, you're making some awesome progress!
On your SAS, I was looking closely at your leafspring pics, is it possible that you mounted your springs facing the wrong way? Its hard to tell from your pics, but if the springs aren't facing the right way that would affect your shackle angle since the center pin isn't centered equal distance from eye to eye. There's a longer side (I think it's like 25" from center pin to spring eye and the shorter side is like 22" from center pin to spring eye). Just something to double check, otherwise you could always move the front hanger back some to correct the shackle angle more. Look forward to your seeing some more progress!
would I have to have the shorter side in the front or rear? I have the full wrap at the spring eye in the front per the instructions. Also did you notice the shackles are kinda off on the driver side one? I am wondering if that is something that is gonna need fixing or just leave it and not worry about it. It's not far off. Progress is gonna be slow but I will keep the updates coming when I get parts here and there also time lol its a busy few next months at work. B it other than that it's coming along pretty good
Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Got my radiator in along with the 16 inch flex a lite fan I had from my 4.3l swap. This radiator seemed to work just fine for my 4.3l we will see how it works out this go around with the 5.3l. I'll keep updates on that once I get it running. I also made it look fairly factory upfront, It came out better than I expected.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4.34runner88
would I have to have the shorter side in the front or rear? I have the full wrap at the spring eye in the front per the instructions. Also did you notice the shackles are kinda off on the driver side one? I am wondering if that is something that is gonna need fixing or just leave it and not worry about it. It's not far off. Progress is gonna be slow but I will keep the updates coming when I get parts here and there also time lol its a busy few next months at work. B it other than that it's coming along pretty good
Ok, I couldn't tell from your pics if you had the full wrap in the front. Yeah the shorter side would be in the front. I've seen an install before where someone had the springsturned around so I just thought I'd ask, lol. I couldn't tell from your pic about the driverside shackle being a little off, I'll have to go back and look again, but if your runner is going to see street use I'd probably take the time to get it right so it drives straight and you don't get uneven tire wear.

I was going to ask you what radiator and fan you were planning to run, but you beat me to it, looks good!

Last edited by rustED; 02-06-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Ok, I couldn't tell from your pics if you had the full wrap in the front. Yeah the shorter side would be in the front. I've seen an install before where someone had the springsturned around so I just thought I'd ask, lol. I couldn't tell from your pic about the driverside shackle being a little off, I'll have to go back and look again, but if your runner is going to see street use I'd probably take the time to get it right so it drives straight and you don't get uneven tire wear.

I was going to ask you what radiator and fan you were planning to run, but you beat me to it, looks good!
yeah I saw that post when someone had it the other way around. Had me questioning the istructions lol. And if you can see the shackle angle well I'll get more pics. And for the frame tubes I put my springs bolted through the tunes as posted. And I just welded the tunes that way. Looks way better and fits better than when the instructions say leave a 1/4 inch of tube on the outside. I did that at first and it was hard to put the springs on the hangers. So now the tubes somewhat are even on both sides and looks to be better and easier to put on. I am not going to be severe offroading with rocks or anything just simple cruses and PowerLines and trails lol. If you know what I'm trying to say. And it is going to be a DD
Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Got a nv4500 for $600 seems like a good price used
Old 03-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Got the nv4500 in. Had to cut the plastic where the radio goes unfortunately. Engine is as far back as possible. But it will work out. More to come.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Well for those who are following this build. I got the np241c transfercase matted to the nv4500 today. no adapters. I will be making a custom cross member to hold it to the frame so I will be able to use the front drive shaft.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
That thing is so long!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM

It's really not that bad. I'll see how much I'll have to cut off of the drive shaft. It fits pretty good to be what it is. No body lift at all.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Sweet build. This is the motor I want to put in a future first gen project someday
Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 AM

Thank you. It is taken a lot of time to get it to this point.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Few updates I got the fuel line ran 3/8 inlet and the 5/16 outlet. Trying my best to keep it as neat as possible. And I got my -6an fitting for my fittings

Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good. I wish I would have went with a 5.3 instead of the 4.3 at times lol.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Bump530 thanks. It has taken up to a year to get it to this point. I did have a 4.3l in it, I had the vortec and converted it to a carb. Mistake when I did that. Also the 4.3l was expensive to get parts for. So I sold the lower end with heads and the front accessories to a guy and got the 5.3l for what I sold the 4.3l for. So far this is a Fairley decent budget build. Just lots of time looking it over and seeing what I need is paying off big time.trying to keep this as Toyota stock looking as possible. So far so good
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Coming along nicely.
Others may have chimed in but I'll offer my .02 for reinstalling the pillars
Had a few of these Black-Rivets-Retainer-Clips laying around. Cut the heads down so they'd slide into the slots on rear of pillar, then line up and seat these plastic clips. Easier to remove and no chance of breaking the clips.

Ok i took my side piece off to see if rust was in there. Surprisingly there wasn't. So does anyone know where to get the plastic clips for this so i can put the cover back on?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM

I wish I knew about this before lol, looks to work a lot better than the stock ones.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 PM

I made a custom cross member aND added braces to it. I know one is missing, I still need a little pipe left. I also used the chevy cross member piece so I can use the chevy transmission bushing. The cross member is solid that is for sure. More to come

Search this Thread