86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Numbchux' 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, glad to see that it's running, mine will be about the same three years when I get my 87 pickup running.....lol
Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Very informative thank you. Are you able to use the Toyota fuel pump relay? I like what you did with the lines ac tranny fuel that makes things much simpler.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clarion69374
Very informative thank you. Are you able to use the Toyota fuel pump relay? I like what you did with the lines ac tranny fuel that makes things much simpler.
You probably could use the Toyota circuit opening relay to control the fuel, but it would be a lot more work. This was one wire. done.

The 2 lines on the flange are for the oil cooler

Rear shocks are mounted:

The lower mounts use a 1/2" bolt, but the bushing in the shock have a 5/8" hole. So I got a spacer to take up that slack, this also means I can tighten the bolt without squishing the rubber bushing. And then another spacer to keep the shock body off the bracket:

The uppers use a 5/8" bolt, so when I first put it together, as soon as I tightened the bolt, it smashed the rubber bushing before I got it very tight. So I cut one of my standoff spacers in half, and put another nut in there. So I can tighten the nuts against the plate/each other, without squishing the shock bushing:

Fuel filler and vent extensions:

And cowl scoop mounted....not sure if I'm going to paint over the pop rivets or not...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 AM

Duh I knew that lol if it were me if I'd leave the pop rivets the way they are. Nice little accent to the black. Regardless lookin good
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just reviewed the whole build, nice job! I like shock mounts, never seen them done that way before. Was that your own fab, or is it a kit?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Just reviewed the whole build, nice job! I like shock mounts, never seen them done that way before. Was that your own fab, or is it a kit?
Thanks. It was actually a kit from BudBuilt. Here's the page on their old site, I don't see them listed on the new site, so they may or may not be available anymore:
https://www.budbuilt.com/new/shock_mounts.html
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM

No big news, or pictureworthy updates. Just some tinkering. Wiring cleaned up a bit, body mounts torqued down, grill and front bumper mounted, exhaust head shield mounted under the fuel filler, 1987 License plate got here today, I'll go register it on original plates tomorrow. also, muffler should be here tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 PM

This arrived today, and I did the paperwork and money exchange to get collector plates. It will be ready for a test-drive very soon!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Muffler on (needs another hanger...but close). So I took it for a little test-drive.

Not running 100%. Not a lot of power, it bogs down more than a bit, but it does OK. It's got a few vacuum lines that aren't connected, and the 02 sensor isn't connected, so I'll get those issues fixed, and see where it's at then.

Also, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near full travel out of the throttle plate. Need to look into that. Either there's a different "calibration" between the toyota pedal and chevy TB, or...something's catching.

But, getting closer still
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Well...not much progress. Don't think I've touched it since my last post....Duluth flooded, and havoc has insued.

BUT. I bought leaf springs last night. Decided on Skyjacker 2-3". Only stock length lift spring I could find.

I'm also on the list to be a tester for the Chilkat designs cable conversion for the 9.5" ELocker. Should be able to sell the motor and control unit from mine, and come out ahead!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Got a new job. Less stress, more free time, more hours (longer shifts, so more hours in a week but still getting days off), etc.

So, got some work done this week. I am getting WOT with the pedal, so that's good.

Set the ignition timing. I had to advance it so far to get it dialed in, that I decided my plug wires were one post off on the disty. Got that fixed, and it seemed to run better, but not perfect. Then it stalled, and began acting real strange. Couldn't get it pinned down, so I decided to leave it for the night.

Tried again today. And it fired right up, better than it ever has. Purred like a kitten. Put it in gear, and held the brakes to put some load on it, and it seemed to run awesome.

Then the check engine light came on. Huh....

Then, the moment the gauge registered normal operating temp, it died. Restarted once, but only ran for about 10 seconds before dying again. And wouldn't restart.

Checked the code. CTS. So, I'll grab a new one of those at work tomorrow, and try again.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM

New CTS went in today. Infinitely better!!

Fixed the 02 sensor wiring (got a little melted...).

Did a couple other small things.

Drove it up and down the alley a couple times. Still need to trim the fenders, can't turn very sharp...

Think I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow (only about a mile...but it's something!).
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Drove it to work for the last couple days.

Did a little fender trimming, had to test the clearances.....

Good thing it's a short trip to work though, as it still dies once it's up to temp. Just shuts off....
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM

wicked.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Got about 25 miles on it. It got up to temp a couple times today (even let it idle for a bit with the fan off to let it overheat a bit), and hasn't died. So maybe that fixed itself.....

Gas gauge doesn't work. That sucks. Thinking the float arm might be stuck all the way down from the tank sitting nearly empty for 3 years. That might fix itself too.

Should have mentioned. Filled up at a pump, and my extended filler/vent did not effect fillup at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build dude! Glad it's finally coming together!! Is the front bumper custom made?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tinigunner11
Great build dude! Glad it's finally coming together!! Is the front bumper custom made?
No, that's a SmittyBilt (or....change the "m" to an "h" for what I really think of it) front bumper. Came with the truck, and will be going in the scrap pile eventually, but I have more pressing things to deal with now.

Ordered H4 headlight conversion housings and new retainer rings today.

Also got an automatic fan control kit.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM

Lookin good. That's weird with the intermittent dying... Mine has a bug or two I gotta chase down or hope it fixes itself lol. I can't remember and I suppose I could read the earlier posts but are you running the 700r or stock Toy tranny? How did you go about calibrating your speedo? PCM requires VSS input and so does digital gauge.. Just lookin at my options cause 1 I need a speedo bad lol and 2 I'm waaaay off of what my scan tool reads. Reads 95 then hits governor and actual is maybe 75 80
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM

700 (technically 4L60 in '92), toy tcase. Stock speedo cable to stock cluster, hooked up the VSS wire from the gauge to the ECU.

I don't have a scan tool to confirm how the ECU is interpreting that signal. But it runs great and doesn't throw a code.

I'm not sure whether I'm getting TCC lockup, though. I've only had it up to about 50mph so far, so it's hard to tell.

The gauge reads about 20% low due to stock gearing and tires, but I expected that.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Well depending on the year 4l60 determines the lockup function and how it's wired. The 95 CPI PCM is gonna try to send a signal to the pulse width modulator (PWM) solenoid to gradually apply lockup, now where I think you and I may be in the same boat is we are using non PWM 4l60s and aren't getting lockup. I can ground out the solenoid and force lockup but it doesn't like it so maybe you have the same deal goin on? I'm pretty sure you would feel it if it was locking

Quick Reply: Numbchux' 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread