86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ND Roughneck Rig

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ND Roughneck Rig

Bought a B.T.S. 1990 4x4 pickup with a 22re that burns oil for my new work truck. Spending some oil field cash on it.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome to the forum man! Lets see some pics! What kind of parts are you getting with that oil field cash?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Unhappy I should know better

Thanks for the welcome RW. I've creeped on here since 2008 so I should know better than to not have pics in my post.
ND Roughneck Rig-image.jpg
I took her for a test drive down by the river to shake out the bugs in the system. If anything major happens it's not a bad walk to the highway to catch a lift home. I got her unburied by my self with a come along and a high-lift and trashed the already dying steering system. Also finished off the ball joints ( they came out in pieces) and thrashed the shocks. So I began the tear down last week and started ordering parts.
I should also know better than to look at the state of my project at 8pm and fall prey to the thought "well it's already this far apart" and "it won't take that long" and then it's 1 am and my wife is texting me reminding me of my honeydo list I have for the next day and I have to give up on the cone washers on the passenger side. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ooops!!! Looks like you did get it stuck good. Come alongs can do a lot. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Grandpa, Mr Marvel and me.

Finally got done doing tear down and putting what I could back together today. Since I'm waiting on bj spacers AAL and diff drop till tomorrow after noon I decided to play with the motor. It's got 191.8k on it and burns 1/2 qt every 500 mile according to the PO. I know the guy so I believe him on it. I got a wild hair and decided to put the 3 gallons of marvel I have in the garage to use because I can't use it in anything else I own without a grey area in the warranty.
Stage one:
Drop 1qt of oil and replace with marvel. Run motor at idle until warmed up then rev to 2-3k rpm with everything running you can for 10 min. It's on jack stands right now so it wasn't much of a load on it but the point is to get the oil moving. Drop the oil and change filter.
Stage 2:
Add one qt of fresh marvel and top up with whatever oil you prefer. Add 4-6 oz to a 1/2 to full tank of fuel. Let motor warm up and rev to 2-3 k rpm for 3 min ever half hour or so for a couple hours. Or just drive it around for 2 hours. Drop the oil and change filter.
Stage three.
Add 1-2 qts Lucas oil stabilizer and top up with oil. I run one qt because Lucas can kill an oil pump in a Yota because it's so thick. Put 500 miles on it of regular to hard driving and let idle often. Change oil and filters and drive normally checking oil consumption. If consumption continues keep adding Lucas until you decide its time for a rebuild.
My granddad swore by this method in anything using oil. I figure a mechanical engineer, master millwright, rancher and ect can't be completely crazy. And every vehicle at the ranch ran like a top with Lucas in the oil and marvel in the fuel. I'll post my results after I put about 800 miles on it next week.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Yep, I drove it like that hahaha

I was super stoked to take the old girl for a spin down to the tire shop for a new set of shoes and an alignment. Put the tires on her after redoing every thing in the steering but the nut behind the wheel. Once the old tires were back on I had an OH NO. WHAT DID I DO moment. Drivers side tire almost touches the upper arm with 2" bj spacers in. Passenger side has 2" of clearance. I took the tires back off and began inspecting wheel assemblies to make sure I had them back together properly. Turns out that wasn't the problem at all. Drivers side rim is a 15x6 with a 4.5" backspacing. Passenger side is a 15x7 with 3.75" backspace. So after some colorful metaphors directed at my truck and the PO I got on line and began researching. After reading till my eyes and head hurt I'm taking my parts guy's (also a Yota fan) recommendation.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/usw-204-5760
Found these after a couple hours of searching. Going to be throwing some 31x10.5s until the New gears and diffs go in in a couple months.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a motor one time that had severe case of sludge build up. My uncle told me to drin the oil and leave a quart in and fill it with diesel fuel, then let it idle for 10 - 20 minutes at a time and drain and keep the oil/ diesel combo going a couple of times until the motor was cleaned out.

It took a few times and the crud that came out was nasty. The diesel is oily enough to keep things lubed enough not to damage the engine. I did drop the oil pan to get some other build up out and that motor ran great for me. Basically the same thing as Lucas did for you. Them old timers have a few tricks up their sleeves that work.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Wow Terry.. That's a pretty nifty trick with the diesel fuel.

Looks like another old timer passed the knowledge along. LOL

That pic with your truck stuck is gnarly! Looks like a lot of fun, though!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Test drive road.

I test drove it there because it's close to home if I get stuck and it's similar to driving conditions for the roads to drilling sites. Only think that kept her from going on her side was the come along lol. I'll post some new picks after I test drive the lift and new tires.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Angry Pulled her out of the garage today!!!

Finally got the truck road worthy and pulled her out of the garage this morning. Made it half a block and blew a rotted break line. Of course it's one along the frame and behind the fuel tank. So the kiddo and I didn't get to play at the lake today. I would add a photo but it keeps telling me upload failed. After another $100 in tubing and fittings I might get to actually drive the truck some day.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OilTrash
Finally got the truck road worthy and pulled her out of the garage this morning. Made it half a block and blew a rotted break line. Of course it's one along the frame and behind the fuel tank. So the kiddo and I didn't get to play at the lake today. I would add a photo but it keeps telling me upload failed. After another $100 in tubing and fittings I might get to actually drive the truck some day.
Brake lines rust there cause dirt and crap get jammed between the frame and lip on the fuel tank,its LSO a place where frames rust as well,alota guys will shave the lip of the tank down to give it a drain route out off the truck.
Welcome to y.t.
U look like your in a heck of a bind in that first pic...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 AM

I just bought some 3/16 tubing and made new lines for it using fittings for a grove crane I had in the garage forever. Never thought I'd find a use for them hahaha. Yes it's nasty between the tank and frame. I did knock the lip down while I had the tank out today as well. Frame was in ok shape. She has some major body work projects coming up after this winter and I'm going to have the whole frame reinforced and powder coated when the half cage goes in it. Some day she will see air time, might be a couple years but some day.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 AM

Wink Buried and alive

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
U look like your in a heck of a bind in that first pic...
People never believe me when I tell them that this is a normal occurrence on my commute to and from oil rig locations. I'll start taking pics, imagine colorado fire break trails only flat ground lots of rain and constant traffic from large vehicles and machinery. In 2009 I got my 94 runner (3.0 5spd stock) buried so bad you couldn't open the passenger side doors because they were 1 foot under ground. I rolled down the drivers side window to climb out and hook the D2 dozer up using every chain and rope we could find. The dozer sank after 50 yards of dragging me and the truck sat there buried up to the windows until I convinced a 175 ton crawler crane operator that was helping build a matting board road to location to tie on to the rear axle a month later and set it on the road as he went by. Lifted it with the fork lift and carried it back to the main road (muffler and engine bay full of dried mud) and had my new guy clean the mud out of vital areas and drive it home. He then bought it after I bought my 08 taco (5spd) and is still driving it today. And that is when I realized I'm a Yota addict lol
Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 AM

pic

ND Roughneck Rig-image.jpeg
kiddo helping out I'm under the truck at the moment
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 AM

feeling nostalgic

I realized that I never finished this thread. I got busy with kids and work and wrenching. Even though I had to sell her when we moved back to TN from ND I figured I'd post some pics of what got done before I sold her. Old girl was just tired unde the hood. Shortly after I put tires on her she got put on jack stands, entire ifs came out by way of torch after tire shop bought me two new front tires because everything was so siezed up they just did a partial alignment and hoped I wouldn't notice. And the motor was burning more oil than I liked. And the clutch was sloppy. So everything came out.
3 over rebuild, street RV performer head, 261 c cam and all new front everything from Engine Builder.
Ooooooh. Purdy
Installed, did a bunch of hose changes from the dealer or LCE while IFS parts showed up. I intended on doing an SAS at this point but couldn't find an axle that wasn't gold plated. Rear axle got a rebuild, new body bushings, stronger clutch and some other things I'm sure I forgot.
Made it to work on her 350 mile vergin motor run
Headed to go fishing.
Fish weren't biting that day and if your not getting stuck your not trying.
Buddies kids were super excited that they didn't have to walk the mile from where we were camped to get to the good swimming hole.