86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 1st 4Runner ('87)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
welcome to yotatech!
That truck looks like it's in great shape!
Sad you killed the chrome and decals, but I'm a fan of the factory chrome, possibly a minority

Looks great, great candidate for some TLC to be a sweet truck
YOU ACTUALLY HAVE YOUR HARD TOP TRIM! That's almost impossible to find. I'm jealous.
Also if you end up swapping the radio let me know, I might buy it off you.

Something you didn't mention, what's the state of your windshield? I notice what looks like rust

A lot of guys, even with no rust anywhere else, will get rust there and get windshield leaks. rad4runner will rant about galvanic corrosion and what a bad idea chrome around a windshield is. His root cause was actually the gutter next to the windshield rusted an leaked as well.
his troubles start here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52169488
Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have the passenger side window switch if you are interested.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnet18 yeah not a big fan of the chrome. Always heard chrome won't get ya home.
The window did have a little rust around it. When I had it painted the guy addressed the rust around it. Now I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting the trim to stay in place.... Any suggestions?
I'll keep ya in mind with the radio. I maybe switching here in the near future.
Arlinsday I do have another switch I just gotta put it in. Unfortunately it's tan but I think I'll give it a little grey touch.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gen1Runner
Magnet18 yeah not a big fan of the chrome. Always heard chrome won't get ya home.
The window did have a little rust around it. When I had it painted the guy addressed the rust around it. Now I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting the trim to stay in place.... Any suggestions?
I'll keep ya in mind with the radio. I maybe switching here in the near future.
Arlinsday I do have another switch I just gotta put it in. Unfortunately it's tan but I think I'll give it a little grey touch.
one of the stickys in /116 covers the right shade of grey i think
Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Finished product. I went with the darker charcoal color to help hide any potential future stains.
Forgot to take a picture of the in between got ahead of myself.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 AM

Magnet would you mind elaborating on the sticky in?? Do you mean some kind of adhesive 3mm tape??
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Magnet would you mind elaborating on the sticky in?? Do you mean some kind of adhesive 3mm tape??
Carpet looks great!

Sorry, I was referring to painting the switch, I meant one of the sticky threads on the page yotatech.com/f116/
This one here specifically https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...on-how-167686/

for the windshield trim, what do you mean by trouble keeping it in place? is it loose? was it not loose before?
The trim is held in with a lot of plastic clips, most of which are embedded in the glue holding the windshield in. If some of them are broken, I don't know of an easy way to fix it. Mine was ripped off and the gap filled with bathtub caulk by a previous owner when I bought mine.
Proper way would be to remove the windshield, address state of the metal, replace clips, re-glue windshield. Clips are only $10. the rest of that will run you a couple hundred and a few weekends. Obviously if you have no leaking issues or reason to suspect major rust, that's a bit extreme. You might be able to glue it in place with something like dow 995 or other industrial glue/sealant.

I asked to see if you had any issues with leaking. The rust will work down the clips that hold the trim and cause the pinchweld to rust out. Same with the gutters, the old seam sealant dries out and cracks and starts rusting out down in there.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Magnet now I'm tracking! Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had any issues with leaking. I've only washed it a few times so far though. The rust wasn't extreme it was just minor surface.
Yeah the trim around the window is loose. I was actually driving down the freeway the other day and a piece of it partial came out lucky enough I caught it before it flew away. I'll have to check to see if the clips are broken and maybe look into gluing them.
Yeah carpet was a huge improvement. It even helped alleviate the oily smell that was in the car.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd sure love to meet the guy who decided that the chrome windshield trim was a good idea.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Me and you both!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts

Small knick in headliner.. Anyone got any suggestion on repairs for that?
I would just mend/sew it with matching color nylon or polyester thread. Would literally be a pain in the neck to do, though.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Well finally got around to installing some of the new parts. Had some ups and downs during the whole process, but managed not to screw to many things up. She still needs a deep clean. Headed to power wash her later today.
Install:
LC Pro Air Intake Kit
LCE Street Header Kit
Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter
Magnaflow 2 1/4" Pro Flow Turbo Muffler
KYB shocks all the way around
New CV axles
Front rotors
Idler pulley and belt
Plasti Dipped the wheels (temporary until I find rims or powder coat these ones)

Last edited by Gen1Runner; 05-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Beautiful Truck and clean work! I like not having stripes.

Originally Posted by magnet18
LOL! YUP!

Magnet18 yeah not a big fan of the chrome. Always heard chrome won't get ya home...
Originally Posted by Charchee
I'd sure love to meet the guy who decided that the chrome windshield trim was a good idea.
Me and you both!
Functional chrome is alright - like the classic vent window latch. However... Chrome trim? Heck, even Cadillac's do not have Chrome around their wheel-wells.
Name:  1401990_10151764034392194_737511492_o_zps379f7ef2.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  120.7 KB

Well finally got around to installing some of the new parts. ...LC Pro Air Intake Kit...
I hope you're planning to make a partition around the filter so it does not suck hot air from the hot engine compartment, and I suggest you cover the metal duct with insulation so it does not conduct heat from the radiator and engine compartment to the already metered air

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-03-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Rad4runner I was wondering about that. That intake tube does get nice and toasty. You have any suggestions on what to wrap it with or methods to keep it cool??
I'm all ears.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM

...You have any suggestions on what to wrap it with or methods to keep it cool??
I haven't done mine, because I have stock plastic ducting. There are many products it there. I would recommend a combination of insulating inner layer and and outer reflective layer. Someone's related post on Ih8mud here.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
it wont hurt it that much, honestly. itll be getting cool fresh air from around the grille anyways. theory on it is that the aluminum, while metal and close to the motor, will dissipate heat better than the plastic. YMMV, but dont worry about it. You wont have any real issues with it. i mean, hell, ive heard of buddies in the army seeing toyota pickups with no air filters at all and running straight crude oil from the ground over in iraq and afghanistan. dont think a little warm air is going to hurt them.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
...the aluminum, while metal and close to the motor, will dissipate heat better than the plastic..
It is a good conductor so it will easily dissipate (conduct the heat to a cooler material) the heat from the engine compartment to the cool air inside the duct
Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
but what would the performance loss be in a 22re? negligible, id imagine. what it does give though is better throttle response, which is the big thing, id imagine.

been dealing with turbo vehicles for a few years now and ive only come across the high horsepower/racing guys using any heat shielding(typically the aluminum kind) or a fiberglass wrap on their down/dump pipes. and even then they usually pull the wraps every few months to clean the piping underneath to keep grime and rust from building up.

I guess, if you wanna tape it, then tape it! let us know what your findings are! Id be really interested to know.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Couple edition from the weekend. Got a lead on some used Truck Lite LED headlights for $200. Thinking I may pull the trigger one those. Should I do the H4 conversion even though these are plug and play??