86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

magnet18 1986 build thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Facelift

She got a facelift over the weekend! Thanks to 4crawler for saving me a day of bracket making
Before

After

Also, if anyone wants this style grille, it's yours for $30 plus ship. Brand new.... I got click happy and ordered the wrong one
Old 04-27-2017, 06:34 AM

So my truck came with a weird wood grain trim kit and matching steering wheel. I dislike wood in cars, but I will admit this was well executed.

I pulled it off and unfortunately the glue used pretty much ruined how everything underneath looks, so I decided to copy the parts in a different material. Some measurements and an afternoon of cad work later, I had files made, and I loaded them up and milled the parts out of some 1/8" plastic I had laying around waiting to be used on another project. (side note, I recently built a CNC machine)

They came out pretty well. I need to use 1/16" plastic (or mill down the 1/8" stuff) as the parts were too thick to look good. A couple minor tweaks to some dimensions and they should work quite well!
For the glove box one, I plan to copy the design of the tcase sticker and possibly engrave that on there. can also easily add/delete holes for things like AC/cruise.

Something I think some guys might be interested in, could make bigger holes around the bezel for more switches

I have sample pieces of plastic on the way from a supplier, I think I could make these in
  • plain color
  • brushed aluminum (what I'm doing for mine)
  • carbon fiber
  • diamond plate
  • wood grain
  • any other plastic you can find
putting a feeler out, does anybody have any interest in buying some of these, or should I just make my set for myself and move on?

The machine is also capable of soft metal like aluminum, so I plan to use it to feed my yota addiction and make badges and such.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Well, I can see why you would want the pieces since your originals were buggered up, but I don't want to put any trim on mine. However, it's very cool to know that you have a CNC machine and this capability though. Things that interest me would be anything OEM like that I can't get anymore.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Well, I can see why you would want the pieces since your originals were buggered up, but I don't want to put any trim on mine. However, it's very cool to know that you have a CNC machine and this capability though. Things that interest me would be anything OEM like that I can't get anymore.
i figured most would be in that boat, unless you really like carbon fiber/diamond plate

And me too, i like things to look factory

Anything you come across that you need and is more or less flat, let me know!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I want more info about that CNC machine please.

Rig is looking good.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
I want more info about that CNC machine please.
Rig is looking good.
^^^Me too, that pretty sweet, aluminum Toyota badges would be cool!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM

It's a mostly 3d printed cnc
https://www.vicious1.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:790533

you 3d print most of the parts, then get a kit of hardware and go buy some rails

2'x2'x4"useable area. .1mm x/y resolution. wood it eats like it's styrofoam, this ABS plastic gave it a fit but I had some settings wrong (thought a single flute would be good for plastic, not the case, and 2.5mm was too thick for a single pass I think. I'm learning as I go.)

I haven't done aluminum personally yet, but others with this machine have. It's at the edge of the machines capabilities, it'll take some better cutting bits and fine tuning of the settings, but it'll work.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM

that's awesome! I love tools, especially anything that's home built. I like the finish on those parts that were routered into the plywood, looks very detailed. It looks like that would come any really handy and have a lot of good applications.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Different gauge cluster bezels

Are these not interchangeable? I was going to switch to the top because my old one (bottom) is covered in old glue. when I go to install though, it's frustratingly on the verge of fitting but none of the screws will cooperate and it has poor spacing all around. Driving me crazy.

Are the brackets it mates to slightly different between the two styles??
Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM
RBX

They should be interchangeable from what I recall. My truck is an 88 but I put an 86(like the one with the black panels. ) and pretty sure all I changed was the bezel.
86 cluster bezel in the 88

Last edited by RBX; 04-29-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks, frustrating then, can't figure out why it wouldn't fit. I gave up after screwing with it for a half hour, afraid I was going to break something, I'll just keep the old one.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 PM

Well, the time has come.

Started her up and heard some new noises, sounds like it's time for a timing chain.

I see two ways to do it, the easy way that takes a saturday-
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

and the fun way that takes multiple (many?) saturdays but gets me a lot of shiny new parts and a clean engine-
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-212688/

Is there any major disadvantage to the easy way?
If I'm in a well equipped barn with a car lift and engine hoist and all the toys, is it remotely possible to get the hard way done in 2 weeks, one sat. for disassembly, send injectors out for cleaning and order stuff I forgot, and another weekend for reassembly?

Any suggestions on parts and what does/doesn't need replaced? I have no problem dropping many hundreds on an overhaul job like this if it is money well spent. I don't want to replace everything in sight if it will last another 200K.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:59 AM
RBX

I've only ever done the 4crawler method. Quickest and easiest.
the other method is if you need to replace the head gasket.

Last edited by RBX; 06-05-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Hmm, listening to this noise a bit more and I'm not sure it's the chain.
I hear it when I accelerate, rather than when I decelerate, and only when the engine is cold... valves maybe? I'm not sure.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM

finally spent some time on the truck
nothing major, still makes rattle noises when starting up and still no idea why, other than not seeing any suspect heat shields.

Greased and lubricated all the window regulators and lock cylinders with white lithium and 3-in-1 respectively. Cleaned out the bottoms too while I was at it.
3-in-1 worked wonders on the locks. After a few applications to all moving parts inside and out and cycling all the mechanisms it works great, before it screeched and I was afraid of breaking my key.
White lithium on all regulator channels, and the main crank gear, and some sprayed in the crank mechanism where possible.
Noticed on the drivers side some of the bolts holding the crank in are stripped and it was sliding around. I tightened where possible and used locktite generously on both drivers and passengers bolts, hopefully that helps.

Rear was more of a bear, but no problems. Grease on all the channels and gears, oil on all the locks and springs.

Like a new truck, rear window is smooth and silent.

Just came to realize I only took one photo in my haste to get done by 6:30
In any case, this thing is some of the best money I've ever spent. Then I tied the panel up out of the way with string to not have to re-glue.

Those of you still reading at the bottom of this post, anyone know where to get replacement screws, grommets, and plastic fasteners for the rear window mechanism covers? I have a mix of random screws and washers.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Nice work on the doors and window tracks, I need to do mine as well. coryc recently replaced the screws and grommets for the plastic trim that holds the carpet down around the bottom of the doors, the company might have what your looking for:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mob...t.aspx?Click=2
If you can't find any you can have the screws and grommets off my tailgate panel, I have them all and won't be reusing them.

Last edited by rustED; 06-20-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by rustED
Nice work on the doors and window tracks, I need to do mine as well. coryc recently replaced the screws and grommets for the plastic trim that holds the carpet down around the bottom of the doors, the company might have what your looking for:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mob...t.aspx?Click=2
If you can't find any you can have the screws and grommets off my tailgate panel, I have them all and won't be reusing them.
would love a set of stock, if I get a tailgate maybe you can throw them in the box
How much are you thinking on those?
Feel free to shoot me a pm
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by magnet18
would love a set of stock, if I get a tailgate maybe you can throw them in the box
How much are you thinking on those?
Feel free to shoot me a pm
PM sent.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Finally executed plans for the unused driveway corner

Goin topless!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great use of space but its gonna hurt doing a lay up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: magnet18 1986 build thread