86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow now that's really going into depth. I think that may need to be acid dipped like they do them hot rods before painting.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
Wow never seen the entire 1/4 panel peeled back like that, how you gonna tack it back on? Welder? JB weld? Pop rivets?
Well, the plan is to clean up all the rust, apply a couple coats of POR-15, get some industrial adhesive and glue on fiberglass replacement 1/4 panels. I ordered them from toyotafiberglass.com- check out their site, more info there about the panels.

Originally Posted by junk4u
Wow now that's really going into depth. I think that may need to be acid dipped like they do them hot rods before painting.
Yeah, man, that would be awesome. Part of the rust treatment includes applying phosphoric acid, though I'll just be spraying it on with a spray bottle. I want to stop, reduce and prevent as much rust as possible... Still have a long way to go.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 01-17-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see that spare coming off going down the road . That metal is bad rusty
Old 01-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I can see that spare coming off going down the road . That metal is bad rusty
Ha, yeah, I was laughing about that- either it falls off going down the road or is absolutely impossible to remove if the spare is actually needed.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:24 AM

Engine shop called yesterday. The motor is ready to be picked up!
Less than two hours away is a remanufactured engine just waiting for me. Here's the breakdown from the shop's website:

Our Remanufactured Engines Include:
The block is taken down to the bare casting. We clean, deck, bore & hone it, it gets new freeze plugs and cam bearings. We turn the crank and resize the rods. It gets pistons & pins, rings, rod and main bearings, cam, lifters, timing components, oil pump & gaskets.

We go thru the heads completely, resurface the heads,we use a 3 angle cut on the seats, reseat the valves, knurl the guides, new valve stem seals. All new gaskets for the engine are included. (Some things are done a bit differently for different engines.ie: some don't take cam bearings, etc.)
Old 01-20-2016, 06:19 AM

Will be watching this one
I just purchased my second, first gen almost 22 years apart
What was the wait on the fiberglass quarters?
Please list the name of this shop you used, I was going to use White's in Kingsport but dont want to buy all my parts from them
Great build, and I will be starting mine this spring, for now im driving it, best $1500 i ever spent

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Engine shop called yesterday. The motor is ready to be picked up!
Less than two hours away is a remanufactured engine just waiting for me. Here's the breakdown from the shop's website:

Our Remanufactured Engines Include:
The block is taken down to the bare casting. We clean, deck, bore & hone it, it gets new freeze plugs and cam bearings. We turn the crank and resize the rods. It gets pistons & pins, rings, rod and main bearings, cam, lifters, timing components, oil pump & gaskets.

We go thru the heads completely, resurface the heads,we use a 3 angle cut on the seats, reseat the valves, knurl the guides, new valve stem seals. All new gaskets for the engine are included. (Some things are done a bit differently for different engines.ie: some don't take cam bearings, etc.)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
Will be watching this one
I just purchased my second, first gen almost 22 years apart
What was the wait on the fiberglass quarters?
Please list the name of this shop you used, I was going to use White's in Kingsport but dont want to buy all my parts from them
Great build, and I will be starting mine this spring, for now im driving it, best $1500 i ever spent
Congrats on the purchase- these trucks sure are a lot of fun! Good luck on the build.
The wait for the fiberglass was six months when I ordered last September. I imagine it fluctuates depending on demand. There are some great threads on here that cover the fiberglass.
The shop I used is in Pilot Mountain, NC and they're called Pilot Engines.
They've been really great.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info, looks like I need to contact Slacker and see what the wait times are on the quarters
Old 01-23-2016, 01:43 PM

The "donkey", as my British friend calls it, is almost home. I drove down to Pilot Mountain and picked up the motor on Thursday- a sunny, cloudless day before this storm. Problem is I still have it in here:

The driveway to access the garage is sketchy under the best of weather conditions. So the motor stays for now in the back of my 4Runner.

But, I did manage to get a few hours to walk over to the garage to get some work done.
I want to have a nice clean home for this engine and a vehicle worthy of a new engine. So today I spent a couple hours sitting in the engine compartment with an angle grinder, a wire wheel, a wire brush and an air compressor cleaning and prepping.
As I've said, I want to prevent as much rust as possible down the road. I did my best getting in all the nooks and crannies- removing dirt and rocks, oil and grime and got it looking like this:

I then degreased everything, washed it and applied the metal prep and let it sit for a while:

The air compressor is great to use with the wire wheel- blast all the dust out as I go along.
So I'll now let it dry out really well and it's ready for a good coat of the POR-15.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:48 PM

Gotta get the transmission in for service, do some last minute shopping and within two or three weeks should have the motor running.
That's the goal anyway.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Does your wire wheel rip your arm off when it hits the nooks and crannies you speak of? Mine does
Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Does your wire wheel rip your arm off when it hits the nooks and crannies you speak of? Mine does
Ha, yeah. Not only that but I find little one-inch pieces of wire in my sweatshirt and knit hat and pants...
Old 01-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Of those the worst would be the pants. Depending on location of said wire
Old 01-24-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
You are doing a great job. Do you have the 9,000 clamps required to glue the side panels on? Harbor Freight has great prices and you can mail order.

I looked at the site for Pilot Engines and they look like they do good work. How long did they take and what did they charge?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
You are doing a great job. Do you have the 9,000 clamps required to glue the side panels on? Harbor Freight has great prices and you can mail order.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have thought about clamps- all 9,000 of them. I got an idea from reading one of the builds that the guys at Toyota fiberglass posted- they had a 2x4 standing up along that rail to get a good fit. I figure that'll save me a few. I'll check out Harbor Freight's clamps, too, thanks. I think there is one not too far from me...

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I looked at the site for Pilot Engines and they look like they do good work. How long did they take and what did they charge?
I was so pleased with the service at Pilot Engines. They finished building my motor in ten days. I think their base long block price is $1175. I added a new head to mine. Plus they also sent me away with a full gasket set, they showed me where the crack was in the old head, they painted the block- full deal. Total with tax was right at $1500.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I'll add Pilot to my mental list of possible engine builders. Don't need them yet but it's good to have a plan. Their location is realistic for me.

Duh. The idea of using a 2x4 is great. I would wrap it in wax paper to prevent any glue that squeezes out from bonding with it. I guess I haven't studied Slacker's pictures well enough.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC

And then there's this:

Sorry don't mean to laugh but mine is pretty bad too. Not as good as yours though I think toyota sells em for $100 if my memory serves me correct from the last time I looked. You know what you're gonna do to replace? I haven't investigated heavy yet but will in the summer. Maybe try to hit up some junk yards but I have a feeling those will be as bad as what I currently have...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by duckhead

Sorry don't mean to laugh but mine is pretty bad too. Not as good as yours though I think toyota sells em for $100 if my memory serves me correct from the last time I looked. You know what you're gonna do to replace? I haven't investigated heavy yet but will in the summer. Maybe try to hit up some junk yards but I have a feeling those will be as bad as what I currently have...
It's cool, I was laughing too. I'll likely just get it all out of there and replace as much as possible with new parts.
I read your build last night- pretty awesome. I'm thinking that down the road I'd love to be able do a frame-up restoration like that. Yours looks really cool. There is an '82 pickup sitting in a field near my house that has not moved in years. I fantasize about picking that up and doing what you're doing.
My first Toyota was an '82 that I bought when I was sixteen. I still miss that truck...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM

And now, the moment I've been waiting for...
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM

The donkey is in the house!

Finally got it unloaded today:

And my ball joint spacers arrived from 4crawler today, too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner