86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work on your runner so far. Gotta love that nc December weather this year (I'm in hendersonville).

I'll try to keep following this thread as I'm also fixing and de rusting my runner.

Make sure you look into the battery area as mine was almost touching the tire.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
There's something significant about the feeling you get driving around with a motor in the back of your car, isn't there?
Hahaha yeah, I've experienced that same sensation! How much of the work are you getting the machine shop to do?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Make sure you look into the battery area as mine was almost touching the tire.
Man, that seems to be a place that is really good at catching dirt and rusting out. Looks like you've got some work to do there. I'm certainly having to give that area some attention. And too bad about the mild winter not lasting- it's cold now!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
How much of the work are you getting the machine shop to do?
It has been my observation over that years that few things in life are a good substitute for experience. I found an engine shop a little less than two hours away, Pilot Engines. The owner has been building motors since 1983 and says he stopped counting when hit built his 10,000th motor in the early nineties. He's going to do a long block build for me- all put together the way he likes it with the stuff he likes. No performance parts, just another 280,000 mile motor. This is a very exciting time for me, waiting to go pick it up.
Really looking forward to start putting it back together!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 AM

It has been my observation over that years that few things in life are a good substitute for experience.
Ain't that the truth! It sounds like you'll be in business once it's done!

You'll just have to be extra careful not to drop the new engine! Haha sorry, I had to....
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM

Had a little time this morning to get some cleaning and prep done:

I power washed the stiffener plates and some other brackets, the oil dipstick tube, thermostat housing and the hard vacuum lines and then did some painting:

It's a small step, but staying at it.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM

I now have most of the engine parts cleaned and ready to be put back together. This is what the garage is looking like:

And getting ready for another project- getting the frost king peel and stick insulation installed inside the doors and some cleaning of the interior panels:

Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM

I would also like to consult the experts of Yotatech regarding this:

Seems like a lot of crud built up in there. Is this something I should be worried about?
Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 PM

looks to be just a bit of oil and clutch material clean it up good and should be ok. make sure your dust boot on the clutch release mech is in good shape and not missing
Old 01-14-2016, 04:26 PM

looks to be just a bit of oil and clutch material clean it up good and should be ok. make sure your dust boot on the clutch release mech is in good shape and not missing
Sweet, I feel better. When I first pulled everything out and looked in there I thought it looked pretty good. Then I started reading all these posts about people finding oil and leaks in the bellhousing and my imagination started to run. I will certainly clean it well. The transmission is heading to a shop up here for a good service before going back in the truck.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:42 PM

the only oil i see in there is on the right hand side that appears to either have come from your hand or the right rear of the motor. the side nearest the bell housing appears to be free of any noticeable leak.

if its getting serviced, as in rebuilt then they should replace anything bad and reseal it for you.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 PM

Well, got a call from the machine shop today. I have a cracked head, so add that to the list of new parts...
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also took a couple pictures of the interior while I was thinking about it, for anyone interested.

Pretty clean overall. I do plan to pull the carpet and clean it, maybe a little paint here and there and some seat covers. Otherwise, not too bad!
Nice you got the altimeter gauge on your dash, those are pretty rare and usually came on turbo models, always wanted one! Builds looking good, keep it up
Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Saw one of your earlier pictures and I am also looking at doing a rear fender repair. Stumbled upon alfaparts.net which has a pretty good selection.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blue86
Saw one of your earlier pictures and I am also looking at doing a rear fender repair. Stumbled upon alfaparts.net which has a pretty good selection.
Thanks man, yeah, I think I looked at that site when I was researching how I wanted to fix my 1/4s. Your post is timely though as I spent the day focusing on that repair.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Today is my birthday and my wife asked me how I'd like to spend the day. So after a nice breakfast with all my girls I headed over to the garage. I stopped at the grocery store and picked up a 12pk of beer on my way. I had a couple of buddies from work come by and work with me, too. The first thing we did was get the lid off:

Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 PM

Happy frigging birthday. I'll open a beer and have one with you.

How bad is your quarter rust?

I'm considering a quick removal and cover up with some fender flares to hide it. Should cost less and look pretty decent as well
Old 01-16-2016, 05:31 PM

1/4 panel removal

Getting the 1/4s removed has been something that has been stressing me out a little- really wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I have no body work experience and I've been a bit nervous to tackle it. But with beer in hand and most of a day to work it began.

Once the top was off the tailgate was removed, the tail lights and then the interior panels:

There are little dimples all the way around the edge of the panel where it is welded:

Got those drilled out along the inside edge and started peeling it back:

There were two more rows of welds along the top of the panel:

Then along the inside of the door and along the bottom of it:

And finally at the tail end and pulled it off!

Old 01-16-2016, 05:38 PM

Happy frigging birthday. I'll open a beer and have one with you.

How bad is your quarter rust?

I'm considering a quick removal and cover up with some fender flares to hide it. Should cost less and look pretty decent as well
Thanks, still enjoying my beer!
The flares will most definitely be more cost effective than these fiberglass panels I ordered. I am fortunate that I'm able to do the fiberglass and it is certainly my goal that I be able to drive this truck for many years to come. Here's some of the nastier areas I'll have to contend with:

The top one is where the tailgate bolts up on the driver side.
And then there's this:

Old 01-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow never seen the entire 1/4 panel peeled back like that, how you gonna tack it back on? Welder? JB weld? Pop rivets?

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner