86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
First really stupid mistake

Well, it seems that no matter how careful I am something eventually happens- it went like this: the engine stand I have requires the use of the bell housing bolts to hold the motor to the stand. Well the bell housing bolts are too short. So I figured I would finish removing everything while the motor was still on the hoist. My family was upstairs waiting for me, so I was rushing and trying to get the rest of the brackets, plugs, studs, etc. out of the engine and drop it straight onto a pallet in the back of my 4Runner- easy. Well, in my haste I neglected to notice that one of the studs in the head was holding the bracket that the MOTOR WAS HANGING FROM AND IT FELL! Major rookie mistake here, I'm sure. Luckily it didn't fall on me, but I am so worried that I damaged it. It seems that some of the impact was absorbed by the oil pan, easy enough to replace, but I also cracked the water tube coming out of the timing cover so I know that took a good hit too.
I am so mad at myself.
So I'll still take it to the machine shop and they'll let me know if anything is really broken. It fell from about 2 1/2 feet. Maybe high enough to crack the block? Maybe it's just fine? I have no idea. Searching around this site I didn't find too much info on dropped engines other than it happens from time to time- not something most people like to talk about, I guess.
But, it happened, no going back now- we'll just have to see...
Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 AM

Called the machine shop yesterday. They told me not to sweat it. The fact that the oil pan was still on is a big help. Plus, if the block did happen to crack they have plenty of blocks. Worst case this is a couple hundred dollar mistake.
I'm feeling better about it now, and really happy that I didn't lose my foot.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I'm really sorry that happened. I can image how you feel about the whole situation; I tend to fret about any foreseeable problems. But everything gets worked out in time. Worst case scenario you have to replace the block, and 22re blocks aren't necessarily difficult to come by, haha. But like you said, the best thing is that you didn't lose your foot. A new block doesn't cost nearly as much as a new foot!
Old 12-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Merry Christmas!

Santa's playing favorite now? LOL
Post install pics/process pls?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Santa's playing favorite now? LOL
Post install pics/process pls?
Ha! Maybe so. There will most certainly be pics to go along with the install, though I should mention I'm kind of working my way back from the front, so it may be a while. Stay tuned...
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Ha! Maybe so. There will most certainly be pics to go along with the install, though I should mention I'm kind of working my way back from the front, so it may be a while. Stay tuned...
Thanks!
Best wishes on the install.
In case you're not aware of it yet. pls watch clearance between fuel tank pinch weld and the bolts on the clips that hold the leaves together. Happy New Year!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-26-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Best wishes on the install.
In case you're not aware of it yet. pls watch clearance between fuel tank pinch weld and the bolts on the clips that hold the leaves together. Happy New Year!
Thanks, I can't wait to get these installed. In my research I found a helpful video:
Anyone looking at installing these springs would do well to watch the two videos Alexman posted. One of the things he covers is the clearance you mention between the fuel tank and the springs. His fix was to weld the bolt and lose the nut- probably what I'll end up doing as well unless I discover a better remedy.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 12-27-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Hope my video helps. I have a few other Toyota videos too.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
Your Toyota videos have helped me on a number of occasions, they're great. Thanks!

So it's December 29th and when I got off work this afternoon it was 68 degrees. I figure this could be one of the last nice days for a while so I did some more cleaning.

The 4Runner saw daylight for the first time in nearly a year today:

I rolled it out of the garage and prepared to get wet.

I know there are differing opinions out there regarding water and cleaning the engine bay- but I said the hell with it and took a power washer the the whole front end.
Here's the before:

...and after:

I couldn't believe how much crud came out. I sprayed everything down with the por-15 degreaser beforehand- I think that really helped.
I also have to say that I experimented a bit: I took the power washer to the parts I had painted with the por-15 and the paint did not budge. Anything that had that stuff on it could take the power washer at point blank and not flake at all. Even at the edges. I tried but had no success. This gives me more confidence in that stuff, especially considering it's not cheap. I'll continue painting all rusty spots as I did where the battery mounts and the frame.
I wasn't sure of the ediqutte for bringing a block in to a machine shop so I also power washed the motor. A bit less greasy to handle anyway.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 12-29-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 PM

I also took a couple pictures of the interior while I was thinking about it, for anyone interested.

Pretty clean overall. I do plan to pull the carpet and clean it, maybe a little paint here and there and some seat covers. Otherwise, not too bad!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you've been able to get some work done! The weather sure has made it easer, it's gotten up to 80 in Mississippi in the past week and one day I was sweating while working on my truck!

I also cleaned my engine bay with a pressure washer and so far I've found no ill effects.

That's a really clean interior! That's nice that you have some of the bells and whistles too.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 PM

Repair of Rusted Gutter

Nice job on the engine compartment!
I also took my carpet out and threw it in a commercial front-loading washine machine.

My gutter is also starting to show rust spots. I think it's because the gutter is merely tack welded on and the rest of the seam just sealed with something that dried up and cracked. I have since removed that (looked like dried, crumbly putty).
How do you plan to fix yours?
One way I'm contemplating is:
Use a tiny steel brush like on a Dremel tool to clean as much as possible,
Treat with Permatex rust converter/primer, hand-paint paint (probably using a tiny watercolor brush because the A-pillar gutter is so narrow, then apply flowable silicone over that.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
That's a really clean interior! That's nice that you have some of the bells and whistles too.
Yeah, I think someone owned this thing for a long time and took good care of it. The condition of the interior was one of the deciding factors when I initially traded my old pickup for this 4Runner. Plus I'd always wanted a first generation 4Runner.

Nice job on the engine compartment!
I also took my carpet out and threw it in a commercial front-loading washine machine.

How do you plan to fix yours?
One way I'm contemplating is:
Use a tiny steel brush like on a Dremel tool to clean as much as possible,
Treat with Permatex rust converter/primer, hand-paint paint (probably using a tiny watercolor brush because the A-pillar gutter is so narrow, then apply flowable silicone over that.
Thanks for mentioning that you put it in the washer- I'd been wondering how it would hold up if I did that!

As for the gutter, I was thinking along similar lines as you. Clean it all out really well and see exactly what I'm dealing with. I am pretty sure a fair amount of rust was not properly addressed when the truck was repainted so it could be much worse under there. The driver side is worse, it actually leaks into the cab. I'm kind of dreading getting into that side- I find rust so offensive, it makes me feel like the whole truck is damaged, you know?
BUT, I've been really impressed with the por-15 so I was thinking I'd coat it all down with that after a good cleaning and hope for the best. I hadn't thought of silicone, but sounds like a good idea. Mainly to keep water from getting in there anymore? A little extra prevention?
I also will be pulling the windshield out to see what things look like along the sill and under all that chrome trim. I am in the minority, it seems, when it comes to the chrome trim in that I like the look of it. I'll make sure things are sealed up really well under there and most likely reinstall the chrome.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I've used your videos too. I always wondered if you were on Yotatech. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Glad they've been helping people. I've been making how-to videos for a long time. They've changed topics as my interests change. If you go way back there's a ton of videos about Honda Z50R's. I started making those videos in my early teenage years. Then I started modifying lawn tractors into ATV type toys with my buddies so there's some videos of that. Then I bought a Toyota Pickup in college and eventually my 4Runner.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM

There's something significant about the feeling you get driving around with a motor in the back of your car, isn't there?
I spent a couple hours yesterday finishing tearing down the motor and loading it in the back of my 4Runner. Then today it took the trip off the mountain to the machine shop to be rebuilt. I am very excited.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really nice looking interior and well kept. Didn't think of dumping the carpet in the washing machine I ended up pressure washing them. Nice tip Rad4Runner... Oh and at one point since I took out the rear seats for repair I hand washed the seats covering over the foam. Smelled nicer and looked better.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 AM

BUT, I've been really impressed with the por-15...
Yes. Shopping for POR-15 now but there seems to be too many versions out there.

Glad they've been helping people...
Yes, the Alexman videos are great. Thanks and keep it up!

Originally Posted by junk4u
... Oh and at one point since I took out the rear seats for repair I hand washed the seats covering over the foam. Smelled nicer and looked better.
YUP. For future routine cleaning, I highly recommend Fabreeze. Very happy with it. Sprayed on, scrubbed with stiff brush, wet-vacuumed.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM

Yes. Shopping for POR-15 now but there seems to be too many versions out there.
I purchased the original formula directly from their website (por-15.com). It comes in a variety of sizes, colors and finishes. I just went for the satin black and I started with a quart to see how I liked it. The other thing I heard and read over and over was to follow the instructions exactly. So I also bought a gallon of degreaser (which works really well even diluted 5:1) and the metal prep, which I think is just phosphoric acid. It reacts with rust (iron oxide) to make iron phosphate which is inert. It's fascinating how the POR cures with moisture. I also strongly recommend pouring out only what you intend to use at one time. I've read that leaving the can open for even a small amount of time will cause the paint to start curing (how quickly depends on ambient humidity). I also read you can paint over it. The areas of rust in my engine compartment where the battery mounts have been treated with the POR and I'll be able to repaint it all red to match.
It's expensive stuff, but seems to live up to its reputation.

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner