86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Gizler00's 91 Reg Cab 4x4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well....I have been thinking long and hard about my current situation.

I loved my 4Runner because I could load up the kids seats and we could head down the road to do whatever. I could drive it every day If I wanted because I could fit them in it to drive to school and home.

I never get to really drive this simply because I cannot get my boys booster seats in it.

So....I have really been looking hard for an excab 3rd gen 22re truck. There are a few around within a few hundred miles or so. Just not sure what I want to to.

I have even thought about trying to find an Excab sell and put it on my Frame. Only thing that keeps me from really looking into this is the cost to do so, Time to do so, and the fact that I would be hacking up a really clean truck.
I have also been trying to find a 2nd gen 22re 4Runner.

Who knows........ I love this truck, But hate that I cannot fit my family into it. Kind of makes it frustrating to think about my Old Runner.

What would you guys do?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love your truck such a good looking gem really wish you were closer I might try to talk you into trading for my T100. I'm not a big poster but read a ton of threads and yours is definitely one of the best looking I've seen. Hopefully if you do sell you can find a nice runner, the second gens are my favorite 4Runners by far, even though they did have a their own issues, just something about how they look.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like your truck, but I see your predicament with not being able to fit your faimly. I agree with T100craze, the 2nd gen 4runner would be cool, easier for the kids to get in and out of too! Around here its hard to find them with a 22re, I mean really hard, all the ones I see forsale on CL have 3.0's. Maybe you have more of them with 22re's around your area, or you could always have your students swap in a 3.4, lol!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have a great looking truck. I like the standard cab trucks but get into the same situation as you can not haul everybody around in one. Good luck finding a 22re in a 2nd gen runner. I have only seen one in my life and it was in a 2 door runner. Trying to find a extended cab 2nd gen truck is going to be about as hard to find and when you do find one it is going to be high mileage or be in rough shape.

From what I have come to the conclusion is when you find a truck that looks descent, it is going to be loaded with all kinds of problems. To me it cost about as much to bring a truck back from the dead as it does to find a truck in great condition and still it is going to have problems. I look for one with a great frame and body and build it back up. It is a long slow way to do it but is about the cheapest and best way to do it from my experience.

Probably not the way you want to go but to get the truck you want you are just about going to have to build it from ground up in my opinion. The trucks you are looking for are over priced and hacked up when you find one you like and takes a lot of work to get back into shape. You will have to stay with an 89-95 truck to have rear seating. The 84-88 trucks with the extra cab has no room for rear seating.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Truck is looking great. Can't wait to see where you take this thing.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by T100craze
I love your truck such a good looking gem really wish you were closer I might try to talk you into trading for my T100. I'm not a big poster but read a ton of threads and yours is definitely one of the best looking I've seen. Hopefully if you do sell you can find a nice runner, the second gens are my favorite 4Runners by far, even though they did have a their own issues, just something about how they look.
Thanks man. I really want something with more room.

Originally Posted by rustED
I really like your truck, but I see your predicament with not being able to fit your faimly. I agree with T100craze, the 2nd gen 4runner would be cool, easier for the kids to get in and out of too! Around here its hard to find them with a 22re, I mean really hard, all the ones I see forsale on CL have 3.0's. Maybe you have more of them with 22re's around your area, or you could always have your students swap in a 3.4, lol!
Thanks Ed! I have thought abotu getting a clean one with a 3.0 and swapping something else into it. Definitely an option.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You have a great looking truck. I like the standard cab trucks but get into the same situation as you can not haul everybody around in one. Good luck finding a 22re in a 2nd gen runner. I have only seen one in my life and it was in a 2 door runner. Trying to find a extended cab 2nd gen truck is going to be about as hard to find and when you do find one it is going to be high mileage or be in rough shape.

From what I have come to the conclusion is when you find a truck that looks descent, it is going to be loaded with all kinds of problems. To me it cost about as much to bring a truck back from the dead as it does to find a truck in great condition and still it is going to have problems. I look for one with a great frame and body and build it back up. It is a long slow way to do it but is about the cheapest and best way to do it from my experience.

Probably not the way you want to go but to get the truck you want you are just about going to have to build it from ground up in my opinion. The trucks you are looking for are over priced and hacked up when you find one you like and takes a lot of work to get back into shape. You will have to stay with an 89-95 truck to have rear seating. The 84-88 trucks with the extra cab has no room for rear seating.
I hear you Terry. There have been a few that popped up around here and in Colorado in the last month. But getting a nice one does come with a hefty Price tag. There was a nice 90's 4Runner with a 22re .One owner, dealer bought, no rust.....But it was 6800$ I really feel that is a fair price for what it was. I wish I had pictures to show how clean it was.

However, on the other hand, they are usually way over priced and have rot or issues like you said. I do not want to give this one away, and I really have no issues waiting for the right buyer.

Originally Posted by space-junk
Truck is looking great. Can't wait to see where you take this thing.
Thanks Man! Not sure which Direction I am going to go with this.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 AM

The 3.0 isn't really all that bad I had 1995 that I drove like I stole until the motor finally gave out. You could try to find a real clean one that's already been rebuilt and just save for a future swap.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 AM

The 3.0 isn't really all that bad I had 1995 that I drove like I stole until the motor finally gave out. You could try to find a real clean one that's already been rebuilt and just save for a future swap.
Im not completely opposed to the 3.0, but I have had a few in the past.

My biggest issue with the 3.0 is the fact that there is not much difference in power, they have known HG issues partly because of the crossover pipe, I have dealt with two that shot rods through the block, and finally.....I have so many 22re parts, blocks and just random stuff laying around for them.

I did have one in particular that was a really good running truck. Was a 91 Excab that I bought in Indiana. It was my daily driver for a few years. But.. and this is a big but.....It had all the necessary recalls done at the factory. So the HG's were taken care of.

I just really prefer the 22re
Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just now got off of the phone and a friend of mine is wanting to check out a Toyota boneyard and see if he can find a solid body to build one. He has been looking for a year for a replacement of his old truck and has about given up. If the bone yard has a two wheel drive cab and frame, I would use my current fix and sell truck for a parts truck for it. We are going to the Springfield Mo swap meet tomorrow and will check it out the yard when there. These trucks are just wore out or way over priced.

My biggest complaint with the 3.0 is the gas mileage and it more difficult to work on. They will go the distance if taken care of. The gas gauge moves about as fast as the speedometer.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I just now got off of the phone and a friend of mine is wanting to check out a Toyota boneyard and see if he can find a solid body to build one. He has been looking for a year for a replacement of his old truck and has about given up. If the bone yard has a two wheel drive cab and frame, I would use my current fix and sell truck for a parts truck for it. We are going to the Springfield Mo swap meet tomorrow and will check it out the yard when there. These trucks are just wore out or way over priced.

My biggest complaint with the 3.0 is the gas mileage and it more difficult to work on. They will go the distance if taken care of. The gas gauge moves about as fast as the speedometer.
Seems to be the case up here also.

So true with the MPG's I used to drive mine 25 miles one way to work when we still lived in Ilinois. Definitely liked to drink the gas.. .And that was the time when Gas prices sky rocketed there for awhile in 2006-2007.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 AM

I definitely hear you on the gas. Eventually I'd love to get another 2nd gen 4Runner but I've only seen one with a 22re that looked like it was beat half to death. I may only be in college but I work to try to take care of my truck and it hurts to see guys my age that just beat them to death. If I ever find a clean 22re 2nd gen then I'll jump on it as quick as I can. I hope you are able to make a decision on your truck and find a clean 4Runner if you do have to sell
Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 AM

I definitely hear you on the gas. Eventually I'd love to get another 2nd gen 4Runner but I've only seen one with a 22re that looked like it was beat half to death. I may only be in college but I work to try to take care of my truck and it hurts to see guys my age that just beat them to death. If I ever find a clean 22re 2nd gen then I'll jump on it as quick as I can. I hope you are able to make a decision on your truck and find a clean 4Runner if you do have to sell
I also really hate to see when people are beating these trucks to death.

Thanks man, I am on the hunt.......Something will happen eventually.

But until then, I will continue to enjoy the truck I have.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Saw this on Craigslist. My goal is to get mine looking this nice. Nice pickup!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:06 AM

I don't understand yall. My old 3vz had almost 300k miles when I sold it and was getting close to 20 mpg.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cmlangdale
Saw this on Craigslist. My goal is to get mine looking this nice. Nice pickup!
Thanks man. I really hate to sell it, but I need something I can transport the whole family in.

Originally Posted by space-junk
I don't understand yall. My old 3vz had almost 300k miles when I sold it and was getting close to 20 mpg.
Truth be told, I just like the 22re better and I have a crap ton of parts laying around for them.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 PM

Hey man, at least you can tell the truth. I hate it when people give weak excuses.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you like the single cab? I have an extra cab with the v6 and I love it but I think I might be a little too tall for the single cab...
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nthn32
How do you like the single cab? I have an extra cab with the v6 and I love it but I think I might be a little too tall for the single cab...
Im 6'4" and I fit in it just fine. Its actually pretty roomy for myself and another person. Long drives are not an issue at all.

My struggles come in when I want to load up my two boys and the wife to go somewhere. Just cant do it.

Otherwise...its a great size.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Sold this one