86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work! On your lower radiator hose did you connect the 2 different size hoses with a metal sleave? If so, that's the same thing I did, I just used a shorter hose so it doesnt hang down as low.

On my motor, on the water pump, the one tube coming off the intake thermostat housing next to the main radiator hose is connected with a small rubber hose (elbow) to the closest inlet on your water pump. The other 2 are connected to your heater. I took some pics on my cellphone of how mine is connected, I'm just having a hard time importing them to my computer. If I don't get them up before going to work , I'll get them posted when I get home.

**EDIT** OK, here's some pics...

Name:  004_zpsbd14b6ce.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  16.9 KB Name:  005_zpse62200a9.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  17.4 KB
ΔΔΔ On these 2 pics you can see where the heater hose runs from the intake manifold up to the firewall, and I believe to the heater core. I don't know if you have this 90° fitting coming out of you intake? Or maybe it has a plug in it?

Name:  002_zps505826e3.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  15.8 KB Name:  003_zps9cd9b35a.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  12.1 KB
ΔΔΔ And on these 2 you can see where this hose goes on the driver side.

Name:  001_zps85faf35c.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  15.5 KB
ΔΔΔ here's the short little elbow going from the water pump to the intake. Hope this helps you out some!

Last edited by rustED; 04-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work! On your lower radiator hose did you connect the 2 different size hoses with a metal sleave? If so, that's the same thing I did, I just used a shorter hose so it doesnt hang down as low.

On my motor, on the water pump, the one tube coming off the intake thermostat housing next to the main radiator hose is connected with a small rubber hose (elbow) to the closest inlet on your water pump. The other 2 are connected to your heater. I took some pics on my cellphone of how mine is connected, I'm just having a hard time importing them to my computer. If I don't get them up before going to work , I'll get them posted when I get home.

**EDIT** OK, here's some pics...

ΔΔΔ On these 2 pics you can see where the heater hose runs from the intake manifold up to the firewall, and I believe to the heater core. I don't know if you have this 90° fitting coming out of you intake? Or maybe it has a plug in it?

ΔΔΔ And on these 2 you can see where this hose goes on the driver side.

ΔΔΔ here's the short little elbow going from the water pump to the intake. Hope this helps you out some!
Ed!

Thank you so much man! I just finished the lower radiator hose a minute ago. I'm going to try to get out of the house to get the heater hose stuff. Mine is set up exactly the same way yours is so that helps a lot lol.

Anyways, I had another question for you: do you know what brand of fans/part number/what car your radiator fans came off of? I had a really nice guy at the parts store try to help me find something that would fit, but I don't think any of them would fit.

Also, yes I used a metal sleeve to connect the two radiator hoses. I was able to find a hose that had a 1.75" I.D. end on one side (to the water pump) and a 1.5" end on the other side (to the metal sleeve). Then I ran a 14" piece from the sleeve to the radiator.

Thank you!

-Tim

Last edited by Ceveland; 04-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Hey Tim, glad those pics helped! I'm afraid I can't help you on what electric fans I'm using, they came with my 85' parts truck and I just reused them. If I had the money right now to get the new radiator and fan that I want for my 4runner, I'd just give you the two 10" fans. Have you thought about cutting some of the core support and moving your radiator closer to the grill to make room for a electric fan? That's what I'm planning to do, I'm going to rebuild the core support around my radiator, I'm going to try to retain the hood latching mechanism if possible, if not I'll have to resort to using hood pins.

I hope you were able to get the heater hoses finished, hopefully the electric fan doesn't hold you up!

Last edited by rustED; 04-14-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Hey Tim, glad those pics helped! I'm afraid I can't help you on what electric fans I'm using, they came with my 85' parts truck and I just reused them. If I had the money right now to get the new radiator and fan that I want for my 4runner, I'd just give you the two 10" fans. Have you thought about cutting some of the core support and moving your radiator closer to the grill to make room for a electric fan? That's what I'm planning to do, I'm going to rebuild the core support around my radiator, I'm going to try to retain the hood latching mechanism if possible, if not I'll have to resort to using hood pins.

I hope you were able to get the heater hoses finished, hopefully the electric fan doesn't hold you up!
Ed,

Sorry for not posting in a while. Things have been really crazy lately (working full time while exam week was going on...) Anyways, I have about 10 days until the summer semester starts up to work on this thing. I did most of the heater hoses this afternoon, I just have to finish up the small one. A word of advice for anyone trying to run a serpentine belt pattern: It's a trap! Lol just kidding, but install the heater hoses first before installing the belt accessories.

I did some serious reading about electric fans and I think the reason you are having cooling issues isn't because of the radiator, I think it's because of your fans. A small block Ford requires at least 2800-3000 CFM to perform at its best. Also 70 percent of the core needs to be covered by shrouded fans. I have looked for about 2 hours and have not found anything that is narrow/short enough to fit my application. I did however find a 16" x 18" x 3+" fan rated at 2500 CFM: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-118/overview/ . If I can somehow fit 2 of those on my radiator, I will be cooling for days. I think I can fit a pusher on the front top center of the radiator (hottest part of the radiator) and a puller fan on the back of the radiator offset to the left on the bottom. I need to do more measurements before buying anything though.

I should be able to get the heater hoses done tomorrow night. I work all day Saturdays (bleh) so that's probably all I will have time for. I'll give an update if time permits.

-Tim
Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Finished the heater hose! Now I need a fan or two... Oh also, what does this go to? It comes out of the top center of the fire wall. If you are looking into the engine compartment, it is to the right (or drivers side) of the other heater hose that plugs into the intake manifold. I don't know if it needs to be plugged or what.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-photo.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Good info on the required fan cfm. Earlier this week I ordered a 24"x16.5"x3" aluminum radiator, aluminum shroud, and 14" electric fan that puts out 2800 cfm. I ordered id through CFR Performance. Hopefully this will solve my cooling issues!

That inlet on the firewall goes to your water pump, shown in one of the pics I posted earlier above, I think my fat finger was blocking the image so you couldn't see it very good, lol. Here's another pic.

Name:  b01938fe-75c3-46a9-b232-e234e796a34a_zpse3c696d3.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  369.2 KB

Name:  002_zps505826e3.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  15.8 KB

Last edited by rustED; 05-11-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Good info on the required fan cfm. Earlier this week I ordered a 24"x16.5"x3" aluminum radiator, aluminum shroud, and 14" electric fan that puts out 2800 cfm. I ordered id through CFR Performance. Hopefully this will solve my cooling issues!

That inlet on the firewall goes to your water pump, shown in one of the pics I posted earlier above, I think my fat finger was blocking the image so you couldn't see it very good, lol. Here's another pic.

Hey Ed, thanks for the info! I just bought a 16" 3,000 CFM fan that should fit up front. I also finished the heater hose (thanks to you!). I need to go out and get a couple bolts for my front drive shaft and some brake fluid so I can bleed the brakes. Hopefully my sister isn't to busy napping so she can help me out lol. I also need to install the hood and see if it will close. I doubt it will but it's worth a shot.

Did you have to use shims for your transmission cross member? I have 7 of the 8 big bolts in, but that last one is giving me grief. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to thread in clean. That's just one of the many things on a growing list that I forgot about.. Oh well it'll get done eventually.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim
Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ceveland
Hey Ed, thanks for the info! I just bought a 16" 3,000 CFM fan that should fit up front. I also finished the heater hose (thanks to you!). I need to go out and get a couple bolts for my front drive shaft and some brake fluid so I can bleed the brakes. Hopefully my sister isn't to busy napping so she can help me out lol. I also need to install the hood and see if it will close. I doubt it will but it's worth a shot.

Did you have to use shims for your transmission cross member? I have 7 of the 8 big bolts in, but that last one is giving me grief. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to thread in clean. That's just one of the many things on a growing list that I forgot about.. Oh well it'll get done eventually.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim
Glad I could help out! Sounds like you got a good fan, 3000 cfm, that should do the trick! My radiator i ordered is a Ford street/strip hi perforrmance aluminum radiator,and is component matched to the electric fan, and fan shroud, so I'm hoping that it will do the job! I'm probably still going to cut out and rebuild my core support around the radiator and run the fan as a puller fan.

Yeah, those cross member bolts can be a pain to align the holes up. I'm not running any shims on mine, and I think I stripped one of the threads on one, so I'm only running 7 out of 8 bolts too, should be fine.

Are you using a high rise intake manifold? Just wondering, I didn't have any hood clearance issues on mine. Sounds like your getting really close, I want to see some video of this thing in action!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Glad I could help out! Sounds like you got a good fan, 3000 cfm, that should do the trick! My radiator i ordered is a Ford street/strip hi perforrmance aluminum radiator,and is component matched to the electric fan, and fan shroud, so I'm hoping that it will do the job! I'm probably still going to cut out and rebuild my core support around the radiator and run the fan as a puller fan.

Yeah, those cross member bolts can be a pain to align the holes up. I'm not running any shims on mine, and I think I stripped one of the threads on one, so I'm only running 7 out of 8 bolts too, should be fine.

Are you using a high rise intake manifold? Just wondering, I didn't have any hood clearance issues on mine. Sounds like your getting really close, I want to see some video of this thing in action!
Ok I won't worry about the the tranny cross member bolt. I think the hood will clear the carb, but it wont clear the alternator and a/c compressor. I think the serpentine style belt was a bad idea. It's fought me more than anything else on this build. I had to mount the radiator up higher than planned too. That's gonna cause another fitment problem. I don't think I will have to cut much, just a little of the hood support up front. Hopefully that doesn't mess with the structural integrity of the hood too much. I would cut the core support and rebuild it if I knew what I was doing. I have zero fabrication skills. It's making the build that much more challenging.

I bled the brakes just a minute ago and I learned that I need a new brake master cylinder! Great... :/ It'll hold for now, but I have to keep a close eye on the fluid level.

I may drive it up and down my drive way tomorrow. I don't want to push it too hard since I don't have a radiator fan on it yet. It's also not registered for the road. It shouldn't get too hot since the radiator will be getting plenty of air and I'll only be going about 700 feet.

I really hope that fan puts out what they say it will. It'll be here next Monday, which is the same day that I start class again. I'll try to get as much done as I can until then and hopefully start driving it around as soon as I get the fan!

It is definitely getting there! I will post some video as soon as I can.

-Tim
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 PM

Wow, i had no idea the AC compressor stuck up that high, i hope the hood fitment doesnt give you too much problems! That sucks that your electric fan doesn't come in for another week, you could probably have it all buttoned up before having to go back to class.

What are you doing for power steering, are you running a ford pump or Toyota? I've been driving mine for almost 2 years without power steering, and I have hi-steer cross over steering, so it sucks trying to park this thing! I just barely got the pulleys I need last week to run the Toyota steering pump, then I need to Fab up and modify the brackets to work with the 302. I will probably do that at the same time that I do the radiator and core support so I can get in the engine compartment easier with all that stuff out of the way!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Wow, i had no idea the AC compressor stuck up that high, i hope the hood fitment doesnt give you too much problems! That sucks that your electric fan doesn't come in for another week, you could probably have it all buttoned up before having to go back to class.

What are you doing for power steering, are you running a ford pump or Toyota? I've been driving mine for almost 2 years without power steering, and I have hi-steer cross over steering, so it sucks trying to park this thing! I just barely got the pulleys I need last week to run the Toyota steering pump, then I need to Fab up and modify the brackets to work with the 302. I will probably do that at the same time that I do the radiator and core support so I can get in the engine compartment easier with all that stuff out of the way!
Yeah, it's a pain. Especially since the radiator hose is running right over top of it making it an even tighter fit. I did some measurements a minute ago and I think I will only have to do minimal cutting. I hope I can get most of the stuff buttoned up before the fan comes in. At least make the thing able to go on the road.

I currently do not have the serpentine belt running around the power steering pump. I do have a Ford pump though. I think NWOR makes fittings so that you can use the Ford pump. I don't have the steering box for power steering, so I would't be able to do it anyways. I will do it eventually, but that will be much later down the road.

I was tooling around a little bit after taking measurements of the hood and I decided to take measurements of the old alternator. It's not that much different than the Ford alternator. I think I can mount it by fabricating a little bracket out of some thick gauge steel. I've never fabricated anything so it should be interesting lol. I post some pictures if it works.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:00 PM

I made some progress yesterday. The radiator fan came in early and I installed it. I had to test it to make sure it was going to push air through the radiator and not pull it. I had to take it apart and flip the fan. It was a bear to put in. I ended up having to take the radiator out (which was full of fluid) to get the fan in. It took way to long for such a simple job. All that's left is to wire it up. I'm going to run it directly off of the battery and run a switch into the cab. There is a hole in the dash where a switch would be on a loaded out pickup (if that makes sense). I am going to measure the hole and get a switch that will fit in there nice. Here's a picture of it installed:

https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....3&d=1400356537

I appologize for all the where does this hose go questions, but where does this hose go lol? I looked at my other Pickup and this hose goes into the intake. Would this be the hole?

Hose:

https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....5&d=1400356561

Hole:

https://www.yotatech.com/attachment....4&d=1400356537

All I know is that whenever I pump the brakes, brake fluid leaks out of the end of the hose. I don't want to connect it to the wrong thing and ruin the motor.

Thanks!

-Tim
Attached Thumbnails Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-photo-1-.jpg   Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-photo-3.jpg   Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-photo-1-1-.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Nice work on mounting the radiator, looks good! If I can make one suggestion, I used a electric fan control relay that came with a probe that you mount through the fins of your radiator, when the probe reaches the preset temperature (I think mine is 190*) it automatically turns the electric fans on, when I park my 4runner and shut it off, the fans will continue to run until it drops below 190* and then automatically shuts off. The relay also has a wire that you can connect to a toggle switch to manually turn the fans on and off. I would suggest using something like this just to eliminate any accidental overheating issues, I've ran electric fans before with just a toggle switch, and it's easy to forget to turn them on. The relay kit was like $30, you can probably get them at your local parts store, or Summit Racing or Jegs would have them: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3647/overview/

On the brake booster vacuum hose, you are correct, it mounts to the back of your intake manifold, that's the same way mine is hooked up.

Name:  006_zpsb5352f80.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  15.4 KB Name:  008_zps8db21559.jpg
Views: 2295
Size:  16.9 KB Name:  007_zpsf4d5ec2d.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  15.5 KB

Your getting closer to doing some burnouts!

Last edited by rustED; 05-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like the small block Ford motors. Worked on quite a few of them and they are great little motors. Wish I had the skills to install one in my runner. Those cross member bolts that have the captured nut on the back side do tend to break loose every once in a while, if that is what you are having a problem with it not wanting to go in straight or trying to cross thread. I just whack it with a good hammer and chisel and run a nut on top of it. 7 will hold it just fine. I have seen that a few times myself. Your truck is coming along nice.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for the info and advice! I'm going to have to use the toggle switch for now since I am going to be running really low on time over the next couple months. School has started and on top of that my daily driver pickup broke down on me again. I'm going to have to start looking for another truck soon. That thing is broken more than it is running… I may just buck up and finish the V8 pickup and drive that around. I have no idea how reliable it's going to be though and I put a ton of miles on my vehicles between school and work. We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks again guys!

-Tim
Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 AM

I made a little bit of progress over the past couple of days. The switch is now wired in and the fan spins the correct way. I had it spinning the wrong way. My dad has good knowledge of how D/C power works so he switched the ground wire and the power wire so now it spins the correct way. Here's a picture of the toggle switch. I think it looks pretty good. That's the extent of my fabrication skills though (which are very undeveloped!)

-Tim
Attached Thumbnails Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-image.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sweet build! hope to see more on this soon!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been somewhat busy and cut myself on the truck pretty badly. I made a little progress. I put the hood on and tried to run the truck with the radiator full of water. The radiator has a small leak in one of the top rows. I will need to get a new radiator at some point, but it's nothing JB Weld won't fix (at least temprarily). That's all for now!

-Tim
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM

I did a little clean up of the truck today. I patched the hole in the radiator, cleaned the cab out, charged the battery, filled the tires with air, and just did some general clean up on it. It is hotter than the devil's gooch in July in Florida right now. It hit 98 degrees at 40% humidity! Hopefully I can take it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow afternoon! I can't go far since it is still not registered and the wheels aren't aligned, but hey, it's better than just sitting still in the garage! I'll try to take some video of it if at all possible.

Oh, also, does anyone know of a decent aftermarket grille for this pickup? I want either a black mesh grille (like this: http://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-tac...le-354046.html ), or a black horizontal grille (like this: http://www.carid.com/2013-toyota-tac...e-1114959.html but in black). I still haven't decided which one to go with. I may build one myself if it comes down to it. If nothing else, I will get a black stock grille. I just want to incorporate the badge I'm designing and it would be easier with a badge less grille.

Thanks for looking!

-Tim

Last edited by Ceveland; 06-10-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Woops! I forgot about the question that has been bugging me most of the week!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ceveland
I did a little clean up of the truck today. I patched the hole in the radiator, cleaned the cab out, charged the battery, filled the tires with air, and just did some general clean up on it. It is hotter than the devil's gooch in July in Florida right now. It hit 98 degrees at 40% humidity! Hopefully I can take it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow afternoon! I can't go far since it is still not registered and the wheels aren't aligned, but hey, it's better than just sitting still in the garage! I'll try to take some video of it if at all possible.

Oh, also, does anyone know of a decent aftermarket grille for this pickup? I want either a black mesh grille (like this: http://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-tac...le-354046.html ), or a black horizontal grille (like this: http://www.carid.com/2013-toyota-tac...e-1114959.html but in black). I still haven't decided which one to go with. I may build one myself if it comes down to it. If nothing else, I will get a black stock grille. I just want to incorporate the badge I'm designing and it would be easier with a badge less grille.

Thanks for looking!

-Tim
It sounds like you still got a lot accomplished, despite the heat and high humidity, I look forward to hearing about your maiden voyage, and hopefully seeing some video footage!

Sorry, can't help you on the grille, I'm not aware of anyone that makes an after market grille for this year. Keep up the good work!
-Ed

Last edited by rustED; 06-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model