86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

First Gen 4runner 22rte Turbo- Exhaust using oem or trd pipes, resonator, muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Gen 4runner 22rte Turbo- Exhaust using oem or trd pipes, resonator, muffler...

My exhaust is held together by a few millimeters of rust so planning on a replacement. This is the 22rte turbo engine with a larger turbo. Of course I can just go see my muffler guy and have him make me a custom magnaflow set up for $500 but I'm thinking there are enough stock or TRD or aftermarket parts that I could get them cheap, and it would be functional and keep a more stock (no shiny chrome) look. It's not flowing that much boost and don't want a loud exhaust so thinking in general a 2.5" exhaust would do, but some parts like resonator or cat could be 2.75" or 3". I do not know what the regular 22re exhaust is like but for the 22rte it drops down about 18" from the left side of the engine, goes back to the end and exits out the left rear side. Please let me know if you know of common and cheap Toyota exhaust parts from other models that are a dime a dozen. Basically gonna use a resonator, cat, and muffler. I'll have my guy use flanges and pipes to make a custom "oem" exhaust.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
go have your guy do the exhaust. theres no point in chopping up factory bolt ons so you can have a TRD setup. besides, i believe Jardine did a lot of the TRD exhaust work.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
In my experience, bolt-ons are never as good as having a good exhaust guy weld up something.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My goal is not to have a flashy set up with a TRD plaque tack welded on it. Part of the reason is I am also in California, where we have to deal with BAR and CARB BS (CA approved catalytic converters and mufflers just cost more). I want it oem looking for the smog station yet functional for the turbo, and cheap if possible. It does not have to be hacked together, but I'm saying flanges or welding won't be an issue. I can figure it out myself if I do a crapload of searching through pictures, that's why I'm asking if anybody knows some good oem parts that will work.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
jsut have your exhaust guy do the work. i have a turbo and live in CA as well. im going with 2.25" from turbo back (dump off the turbo is 2.25 so no sense in going larger) with a test pipe and a Borla ProXS muffler. the CARB website has a PDF you can download that has all the approved CAT parts numbers of whats approved for CA use.