86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
That red truck looks like it doesn't know what's gonna hit it. I've never seen so much body damage. Either you're a terrible driver, or very dedicated.
Dedicated it is!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
One thing about my setup is that the ONLY things that have been replaced on my lift is the springs and shocks. I have stock shackles, stock mounting locations, etc. etc. On the front of the rig you just posted it has this for the fronts along with longer shackles.
That's why I want to run the 3" and 4", I'm pretty sure they don't take into account spring hanger and shackle lengths. That's going to add a least one inch if not two (depending on shackle length).
Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
That's why I want to run the 3" and 4", I'm pretty sure they don't take into account spring hanger and shackle lengths. That's going to add a least one inch if not two (depending on shackle length).
That's what I was getting at. Hope my blabbing helped you out a little.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM

That's what I was getting at. Hope my blabbing helped you out a little.
It did, thanks!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Good, We should wheel it when you get some work done on it. I'd love to see it in person!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Im liking th speaker boxes in the back

Where did you get the idea?
lol

did you make the maglight mounts, or did you buy them?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
That red truck looks like it doesn't know what's gonna hit it. I've never seen so much body damage. Either you're a terrible driver, or very dedicated.
Hey, it's not easy driving by Braille

I knew the last 4Runner was going to end up like that, I just always thought I'd be able to get a tow rig and trailer one day. Dedicated is a pretty good way to describe it. I was dedicated to run trails, that at the time, I wasn't built enough for (Carnage ) and in the process the body got a little beat up. But the more body damage you get, the less you care and by the time the was built the way I liked there was hardly any body left.

The Turbo 4Runner is going to stay nice!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey you have carpet on the cargo floor. I have vinyl for some reason carpet everywhere else.
Also I have the rear seat delete in mine and its red......lol

Last edited by 934rnr; 10-04-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by littlecommando
Im liking th speaker boxes in the back

Where did you get the idea?
lol

did you make the maglight mounts, or did you buy them?
The sub box I picked up for cheap, mounted it on the passenger side so if I fold down one of the seats for storage anyone getting in the back can do so from the pass. side. I also straped it in place so that it could be removed easy for extra cargo room. As for the 6x9 boxes, I didn't want to cut up the interior to install the speakers. I'm still in the process of coming up with some kind of quick release hold downs for them. That way I can remove them for cargo space and move them to get into the side panels. I also have extra speaker wire ran to them so I can set them on the tailgate for camping, etc.

The Mag-light clips I picked up at the hardware store a couple years ago, I think they were less than $5.00.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Good, We should wheel it when you get some work done on it. I'd love to see it in person!
Yea, we'll have to get together once it's done, or if your ever in the area let me know. There are plenty of trails around here that are perfect for a 4Runner on 33's like yours!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 934rnr
Hey you have carpet on the cargo floor. I have vinyl for some reason carpet everywhere else.
Also I have the rear seat delete in mine and its red......lol
When I got my 85' it was the same way (without the rear seat delete panel), vinyl front and rear. It also had a one piece tumple and fold rear seat. From what I've heard, some of the 4Runners were imported as trucks not passenger cars (like a 4Runner). I think it had something to do with the amount of vehicles they could bring over or maybe taxing? Once they got here they were converted back over.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:00 PM

where abouts are you? What highway are you off of?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 PM

The sub box I picked up for cheap, mounted it on the passenger side so if I fold down one of the seats for storage anyone getting in the back can do so from the pass. side. I also straped it in place so that it could be removed easy for extra cargo room. As for the 6x9 boxes, I didn't want to cut up the interior to install the speakers. I'm still in the process of coming up with some kind of quick release hold downs for them. That way I can remove them for cargo space and move them to get into the side panels. I also have extra speaker wire ran to them so I can set them on the tailgate for camping, etc.

The Mag-light clips I picked up at the hardware store a couple years ago, I think they were less than $5.00.
if your going to have the top off any, you might want to figure out a way to lock them down, because they look realy easy to steal

the reason i asked that is because i just wrote a tech artical about installing my 6x9s in boxes, just like those, same speakers and boxes, but i u-bolted them to the roll bar so that they wont get stolen when i have the top off
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM

where abouts are you? What highway are you off of?
Off of I-70, Silverthorne exit (just after the tunnel heading west).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by littlecommando
if your going to have the top off any, you might want to figure out a way to lock them down, because they look realy easy to steal

the reason i asked that is because i just wrote a tech artical about installing my 6x9s in boxes, just like those, same speakers and boxes, but i u-bolted them to the roll bar so that they wont get stolen when i have the top off
Sounds like a good idea, do you have any pictures or link to it?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM

If you pop the panels off in the rear there are nice tabs you can mount to conveniently located behind the perforation on the panels. You don't even have to cut the panel. Out of sight out of mind.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
When I got my 85' it was the same way (without the rear seat delete panel), vinyl front and rear. It also had a one piece tumple and fold rear seat. From what I've heard, some of the 4Runners were imported as trucks not passenger cars (like a 4Runner). I think it had something to do with the amount of vehicles they could bring over or maybe taxing? Once they got here they were converted back over.
yes, that is correct... they took out the back seat and called them trucks to bypass the incredibly high import tax on passenger vehicles...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:28 AM

Sounds like a good idea, do you have any pictures or link to it?
Here it is, but you couldn't do that without cuting up the panels, and it wouldn't be easy to remove

but, you could use a metal strap instead of that ratcheting strap and use a pad lock
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
yes, that is correct... they took out the back seat and called them trucks to bypass the incredibly high import tax on passenger vehicles...
25% excise tax at the time if memory serves me correctly..
Old 10-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by gte718p
If you pop the panels off in the rear there are nice tabs you can mount to conveniently located behind the perforation on the panels. You don't even have to cut the panel. Out of sight out of mind.
I think I might have to agree with you, the 6x9 boxes are nice but they take up a lot of room. I'm starting to think it would be best to attach them to the back side of the braces you are talking about and leave the panel the way it is.

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread