86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
damnit! i keep trying to grab and rotate it!!

it looks a LOT like DIRTCO's winch plate he built... beef for sure... and drew, i dont think you know fairy that well... he wont build something unless he's SURE its beef enough and will work flawlessly...

and, keith, MOAR PICS!!!
I've had enough long late night convo's with him to get his style he's alot like me, over kill or go home! but he should know hearing it from ME when i say he's WAY OVER KILL! lol

i still wanna sit down and have a re'convo with him about his front shackle idea'r.... ive been dying to discuss this again dark since i can prove you WRONG with my own first hand experience! lol .. nyway someday
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am surprised your are still on me about the front shackle idea Drew. I understand the shackles up front make for a stiffer ride. The one and only reason I would use shackles up front with a SAS, would be to maintain the best possible u-joint angle at all times. The only real down fall to that setup, other then the stiffer ride. There is much greater risk of jamming the shackle against an obstacle and bending a leaf spring. With caution, you can avoid that situation easily. I would much rather take the chance of bending a leaf spring then destroy a drive shaft. In the end I view the shackle up front too be more reliable.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Only Because I witnessed first hand how bad of an idea it is. Hehe watched a rig come down an obstacle and his driver front wheel went into a moderate sized boulder... gravity is a **** lol snapped the main leaf like a toothpick.

Dont do it!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
Only Because I witnessed first hand how bad of an idea it is. Hehe watched a rig come down an obstacle and his driver front wheel went into a moderate sized boulder... gravity is a **** lol snapped the main leaf like a toothpick.

Dont do it!
Did you take a picture? that sounds like some nice carnage.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't wait to see this! sub'd
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
can't wait to see this! sub'd
This should come together pretty quick. I just ordered the last part I needed for the 63" chevy swap. I am going to practice welding some beads this week. I will also be taking pics of all the parts I have accumulated lately for the suspension upgrades.

I need to go through some old video and photos to post up the mods I have done in the past.

Thank for subscribing.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Nope no pictures... Have to take my word on it... or dont and end up stranded in the mtns!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Well I have some updates to the build thread. I thought it would be nice to give N8 at Blazeland a small review while I am at it.

This is how N8 packages the LT kit. It comes in two boxes that are identical to each other. Each box has either the Left half or the right half of the kit contained in it. When I picked up the boxes, they felt vary sturdy and nothing sounded loose or floating around. That was a vary good sign.

After cutting the packing tape and flipping the lids over, I saw this thing was packed to the rim.
After removing the sheet of cardboard, you find loads of reading material. I was shocked to see so much news paper. As N8 says on the blazeland website "Save the environment by re-using and recycling existing". LOL.

After removing the recycled reading material. I eyed my first peace of treasure.

Beneath the Upper Control arm was another sheet of cardboard.

Again, a plethora of more reading material.

Once again, N8 goes all out. you can see he wrapped up the shock mount, Lower control arm mount and the ball joint end individually. You can also see the Adjusting sleeve for the tie rods were well protected form shipping mishaps.

That is the Lower Control Arm with the extra wrapping removed.

Here is the Tie rod Adjusting Sleeve and Jam Nuts unwrapped as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that N8 at Blazeland goes the extra mile to make sure your parts arrive in better then new condition. Thank you N8 for doing such an excellent job packing this all up. I would Highly recommend to anyone to do business with N8. P.s. I did recycle all of the news paper.

I finally pulled out all the parts I have been collecting over the past two months and laid them out for all to see.
-63" chevy springs
-Ruff Stuff shock mounts, shackle hangers and spring hangers.
-9/16 grade-8 bolt and nuts for the new rear suspension parts
-bilstein 5100 shocks for the LT up front
-Re-manufactured T-100 CV shafts from Autozone
-Blazeland LT kit.

Just for good measure. Here is another angle.

ok. photos have been re-sized now.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 10-09-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea sounds like a good idea, I had to do the same also on my build thread, They also were WAY to big, so on photobucket I had to make/re-size mine the 640x480 pics, and now there perfect, good size to see but not to big you have to used the slider, the 400x400 were too small. Even if you change the resolution like on photobucket don't get wigged out if it doesn't happen right away for me it took a day for it to change on photobucket and the yotatech threads I've posted the link to the pics...

Ps. if your using windows if you right click on pics in where ever you store your pics click the edit at the top and on the re-size tab on edit program at the top a box will pop up and give you percentage, on my pics I change the percentage to 19 to 21% and there around the size as the 640x480, yours might be different, depends on my mood I use either...

Ps again, if you know all that already, nevermind then :}LOL

Go Colts, beat KC!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Boo yaa I'm getting excited for you just seeing them pics. Can't wait to see this bad boy together. Are you keeping your body lift on?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Yes the body lift is staying put. I did the body lift so I could do a matching Drive-train lift. I have all of the parts for the Drive-train lift and was going to do that this past summer. Time turned into an issue and I had to put the Drive-train lift on hold. This is my DD and I am guessing it will take me at least four days of down time to complete the Drive-train lift.

Sense this past Aug. I have had too put the Drive-train lift on hold one again. I made a mistake with my rear Leaf Springs. During packing up the truck for the Second Annual Squaw Ridge Trip. ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...8-11-a-240480/ ) I noticed my leafs were in very bad shape. the negative arch and wavy leaf syndrome was not worth breaking a spring. So I started collecting the suspension parts I have now. This will be a major upgrade.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
Looks like fun! You staying with the stock torsion bars or plan to go to coilovers?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
IIRC, the C/O setup requires new tabs to be welded to the LCA... doesnt look like hes got that setup... plus, that would put him another grand in the hole (easily) and a few months back paying for it...

basically, hes staying with t-bars... dunno if hes gonna upgrade down the road tho...
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm sticking with t-bars for now. I'll be going with some 25mm bars later. If I feel I need or want coil overs I can add them later.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 PM

25s are super stiff, I had em and went back to stockers. Pointless unless you're running a heavier motor
Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Or a heavy front winch bumper and the added torque that LT can put on a suspension...
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

You make a good pt space. I didn't think about the longer arms and leverage
Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM

I have good insight sometimes...
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
Or a heavy front winch bumper and the added torque that LT can put on a suspension...
X2, Troy and i have talked a lot
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Get on it dark!!!! What's the hold up?

Quick Reply: dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread