Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New wheels

Will have these installed tomorrow morning with pics to follow

Last edited by crazytoyota4x4; 01-14-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 AM

Darn headgaskets let loose, and ive got the milky oil cap so the coolant and oil are mixing, no bueno. Oh well, guess im going to do mls gaskets and studs from lceperformance, and a new knock sensor and wire. Hopefully the heads aren't warped. At least it happened during the off season! It never overheated so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazytoyota4x4
Darn headgaskets let loose, and ive got the milky oil cap so the coolant and oil are mixing, no bueno. Oh well, guess im going to do mls gaskets and studs from lceperformance, and a new knock sensor and wire. Hopefully the heads aren't warped. At least it happened during the off season! It never overheated so I'm hoping for the best.
Bummer. At least you caught it early. Did this engine have the recall work done already?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice job on modifying the T-G rear bumper for the swing out.
I just picked up a rear swing out from 85Toyman for a good deal and was trying to figure out how to make it work with something like the T-G rear bumper.
Thanks for coming up with a simple solution
Old 01-18-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by atlastrekker
Bummer. At least you caught it early. Did this engine have the recall work done already?
Yes its had the recall done in 1996, so its been a while, it was done around 81k and it has 140500 now. Im going to get mls head gaskets and arp studs and may contact doa racing about their cams. I dont know if I want to do the work or pay a shop to do it yet. I did the headgaskets on my 88 4runner 3vze and it sucked.

The trail gear bumper mod was my buddies idea. It turned out good but im going to fab up some support bars that go from the side bars to the frame. Trail-gear has some for the 84-89 ones but im not sure if they will work on the second gens.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM

Will have her fixed in a few weeks. Im going to pay a shop to do the headgaskets, they quoted 1312.00 for parts and labor. I know i could save some money by doing it myself, but im tired of working on it. After the headgaskets are fixed i will be working on the suspension lift, maybe new brakes and exhaust, and i will be getting a rear lock right locker. I'm still deciding what rock sliders i want, I'm leaning towards the addicted offroad or all pro ones. I also want to paint everything below the side stripe with black bedliner. I will post updates as they happen.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:50 PM

I can't say I blame you on the head gasket repair, it's not a fun job.

The rocker panel bedliner paint job on my 4runner has held up well, I definitely recommend doing it.

What do you like about the all pro sliders versus other brands. I ask, because that mod is coming soon for me as well and any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by atlastrekker
I can't say I blame you on the head gasket repair, it's not a fun job.

The rocker panel bedliner paint job on my 4runner has held up well, I definitely recommend doing it.

What do you like about the all pro sliders versus other brands. I ask, because that mod is coming soon for me as well and any thoughts would be appreciated.
The reason i like the all-pro sliders is because the have a kickout at the back. I think the addicted offroad ones have the kickout too. The trail-gear ones seem too plain and i like the added protection addicted and allpro have added to their designs. Ive also checked into the rocky-road outfitters ones, but they are a bolt on design and im not too sure about the strength, but a plus is they offer a lifetime warranty if you bend them.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:41 AM

So i order a head gasket set with new head bolts and a new knock sensor wire harness. Also found a deal on some doug thorley headers. Parts should arrive by friday. I plan on starting the tear down on monday. I am going to have the heads cleaned and tested, machined and possible valve job if it needs it. Will update when parts arrive.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 AM

New beck arnley headgasket set, head bolts, and knock sensor wire

newer slipperplate design head side

composite block side

oem knock sensor wire harness
Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Got the truck moved into my friends garage, and worked on it a little bit. Will post pics of the teardown tomorrow, as well as some pics of the thorley headers.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 AM

Started the tear down on thursday, heres where I'm at now, going to work on it today and try to get the heads off. I'm taking my time, i got pics of all the vacuum lines as i was taking them off. So far everything looks good, the plenum has very little carbon build up, both upper and lower. I will take more pics today as im working on it.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Finally got the heads off! So far everything looks good, the heads are not warped, the #6 cylinder was the bad one, and #1 was starting to fail. I ordered heat tape thats good to 1500 degrees for the fuel lines, brake lines, and wiring around the headers. I also ordered a 12" x 24" heat shield mat to protect the floor board on the passenger side. Will be starting to put it back together tomorrow with pics of the headers and build up process.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 AM

So you decided to do it yourself?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 AM

Yes, at first i didn't want to do the work but i finally decided to just get it done. We ran into a few problems, like the passenger cam bolt was way overtightened, and we had to cut the exhaust crossover in half because the bolts were rusted solid. I'm almost finished cleaning the heads and intake. I also got new injector seals as the beck arnley gasket kit didn't come with any. I'm really excited to get it back on the road, and to be driving again. Heres a pic of the heads.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:32 PM

Finished cleaning the heads today, as well as the lower intake. Cleaned up the block and got the heads installed and torqued to spec. Will post pics tomorrow, i'm tired from working around the front bumper to torque the heads.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:25 AM

Getting closer, this is where i ended yesterday. I'm taking my time to make sure everything is cleaned good.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM

Got the driver side header in, i still have to figure out how to torque them down, theres no room to get the wrench in there.

Got the cam pulleys on and the timing set. The passenger side looks to be less than half a tooth off? But if i move it a tooth its further off to the other side. I've rotated the crank till everything lined up, so I'm thinking its good.

I still have to put the passenger header in, but first im going to wrap everything in heat protection tape and put the heat mat on the underside of the floor board. I've also got to relocate the transfer case cooler, but i have a few ideas. So far everything is coming together good. Will update tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Looks amazingly clean! Might I ask where you're getting the headers from? What did you think a good deal was, if I may ask?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by coopster
Looks amazingly clean! Might I ask where you're getting the headers from? What did you think a good deal was, if I may ask?
I ordered the headers from auto accessories garage, they were 570 with free shipping and part number is thy-505-c. It comes with the y pipe as well.

Quick Reply: crazytoyota4x4's new 90 4runner build-up thread