86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Some small progress on the runner. Those plastic kick panel trim pieces have always been a pain for me because first the screws were missing, but when I found some and put them in, those little plastic grommets were so brittle they broke. I found this company called Northland Fasteners that had similar H shaped nylon grommets. I ordered them and sure enough they fit in the hole and almost matched the original pieces perfectly...the only difference is the flange on these is slightly thicker on these so they stick out of the hole a tiny bit more, but not enough to cause a problem.

Also ordered a hood prop rod holder from them, mine is of course broken. I'll see if it works in the next day or two.

And one more pic...I bought a 1" MC from a member on MUD for $50 shipped. I plan to extend my brake lines so I'll put the MC in at that time. Trying to get my brakes in good shape.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for posting the h clips. I have been needing some. Didnt really think you could get them aftermarket.

MC looks great. Any luck on yor starting problem?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Terry - no luck on the warm start problem. I have not done much with it, but I'm working out a deal to trade some of my excess 22re tidbits for an Idle Air Control valve. I don't know for certain that mine is bad, but 1) I have never had a cold idle and 2) in looking at my IACV, looks like the PO has epoxied a crack in the plastic. So obviously it has been off before. So, I'll clean up the new one, swap it in and hopefully I'll have a high cold idle. I'm wondering if that extra air will allow me to start when in that semi-warm state.

And if none of that works, I'm thinking maybe leaky injectors?? I've never had these off, so maybe I should send them off to WitchHunter. This is probably where a fuel pressure gauge would help me out, but seems like a lot of trouble, so I could almost as easily pull the injectors and send them out.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Got a free day to use on the 4Runner...

First off, forgot that I had ordered the hood prop clip from Northland Fasteners along with those other h-clips. So I installed that little guy. Finally the hood closes on the first time now, I think the rod was interfering with the latch even tho I had done the trick of turning my broken clip around.

Next up, I installed that 1" bore master cylinder. Not a whole lot of trouble. I did have to cut the connectors off the reservoir lids and solder in my old connector so that it would plug in.

And since I just received my extended stainless brake lines from Marlin, I threw those on too and bled everything including the LSPV. Initial test drive feels good, I like the pedal feel. I'm fairly certain my old MC was dying. And yes, I know my CV boot is torn, I'm on the lookout for some new CVs.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Long weekend, so I got a few more hours to work on the truck. Finally decided to install that IFS frame brace that I've had for probably over a year now.

Also, pulled out the electric impact and freed up my driver's side t-bar adjuster. I had a new bolt for it, so I changed it and then set both sides to 14" from top of rim to fender. My winch is off right now while I install the synthetic rope protector that I got from a member on here. I'll post some pics of it when I get it on.

So my updated work list is:

1. Install bj spacers and rear spring leaves, adjust LSPV bracket.

DONE 2. Install IFS frame brace that has been sitting for a year.

3. New dash speakers.

4. Fix the water leak on driver & passenger side. This might be body work since I noticed a rust hole in the inner fender above the driver tire.

5. Replace rubber window gaskset on driver side, the one in the window track, it's torn in the upper rear corner.

6. New CVs

7. Install some peel & seal to make it quieter.

SOMEWHAT DONE 8. New battery cables and terminals and new grounds.

9. Put LED lights from Superbright into dome, deck, and backup lights.

10. Upgraded headlight wiring harness.

11. Fix AC, but not so important now that fall is here.

12. I'd like to have my injectors cleaned at WitchHunter.

SOMEWHAT DONE 13. Brake upgrades: V6 front calipers, 1" bore master cylinder, extended brake lines.

On number 13. I still want the V6 calipers and on number 8. I still need to upgrade the 2 smaller engine grounds and the alternator wire.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM

A small victory on the 4Runner today. Received the IACV that I traded some parts for.

First order of business, I wire brushed it and used a scotchbrite pad to clean it up a bit. Then I checked the resistance of the coil. The FSM says 39 to 59 Ohms, this replacement one measured around 51.

Then I thought I would check it's operation before installing it, so I threw it into the freezer for a couple of hours. Took it out and saw the air passage was opened up more:

Next I let it warm up and checked that the air passage closed up. The FSM says it should be slightly open at 68 deg. It was a tad warmer than that here today, passage looks slightly open:

Pulled my old one, swapped this one in. Immediately noticed that my truck now has a cold idle, it has NEVER had one before, so I'm thrilled. Took a look at my old one and noticed it was closed all the way, all the time. I believe the little tab that moves the cam is broken. Glad I changed it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-30-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I think I am going to follow the same test on my 88s IACV know that I got a good idea of what I need to do to test it. Glad to see if got fixed for you.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work so far, subscribed.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks Terry, I'm so glad to have at least licked one problem. I still don't know with 100% certainty that my semi-warm start problem is fixed. I'll be testing it this week to know for sure. In looking at this pic posted by BigBluePile, I can clearly see that mine is broken right where the green arrow is:

Dutchbelly - thanks a lot. No where near the caliber of work you're doing. You make that stuff look so easy. I can only dream of having a shop like that.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 AM

I haven't wheeled since last April, right before my son was born. So this weekend I drove up to Richloam Wildlife Management Area in Central FL. Hit some trails in there, and even though it was pretty dry, I managed to get myself stuck:

I was alone, so I got the chance to use my winch. It got me out just fine, and honestly I kind of enjoyed being stuck.

Anyway, found out later that neither of my front tires are spinning, so I think I blew a CV. I knew they were old and made all kinds of noises.

Later that night I went out to Croom and ended up pulling a Kawasaki Brute and a big Dodge out of a mud pit with my winch, and in the process burned up the IN relays. They had been a little flaky anyway, so now gotta add that to the list.

And to top it all off, the starter was giving me a hard time the whole trip, it did a lot of just clicking and I had to tap on it to get it to go. So I just ordered new contacts from 4Crawler this morning to freshen up the spare starter I have in the garage. There's a fun FL LandRover event at the end of April, so I need to get these things done ASAP.

I figure I'll start with the starter contacts since they are cheap, easy, and it's a real pain to turn the key and just get a click. Here is a shot of the old contacts from my spare starter, I took them out to measure them and make sure I ordered the right ones from 4Crawler.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Sounded like you had a great time. The problems dont seem to bad. You will have it whipped in no time.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 AM

Terry - thanks man. Yeah the problems are the fun part. I had a great time up there and it was good to get out and actually use the truck instead of just working on it all the time.

I crawled under the truck last night and verified that indeed I did bust the drivers side CV. The joint is busted pretty good, I can just freely spin one half of the CV while holding the other half still. So, jumped on Rock Auto this morning and ordered a new one. Gonna get the winch off there this week and start tearing it apart too. Got lots and lots of stuff on my list now.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM

On my quest to get everything back in order for the FL Landrover Spring Rally, started the teardown of my winch today:

This was a $200 grab off of craigslist back in 2006, don't know exactly how old it is, but with the burned out solenoids I figured I'll tear it down completely and see what else needs to be replaced/greased, etc.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Good luck on your rebuild of the winch. Hopefully you get i done in time for the spring rally.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Got all my winch rebuild parts ordered, I used 4x4RockShop.com, super nice guys, looks like a couple brothers Joey & Mason that own it. Came to $75 shipped for all this.

1 WASHER,THRUST,NYLON,MIDRANGE 13826
1 BUSHING,MIDRANGE 13829
2 BUSHING,DRUM,NYLON 13831
2 HOUSING,GASKET 13848
1 PLATE,THRUST 13868
1 BEARING,BALL,17X40MM 8316
2 S/P,SOLENOID,UPRIGHT TERMINAL 72631

I found that I had 1 totally burned solenoid and 1 questionable, so I ordered 2 new ones along with all the gaskets, bearings, and bushings that were in there. The solenoids are the expensive part, $20 each. The rest of the stuff is really pretty cheap.

Starting to wire brush the drum and get it ready for paint, same for the motor housing and the rest of the metal parts.

Last edited by coryc85; 03-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Some small progress this weekend.

Got the winch drum sanded and painted. I wire wheeled it, primed it, and then painted it with Hammered Rustoleum, great paint for rusty pitted metal.

Next up, thought I would install the new started contacts that I ordered from Roger Brown, but apparently I lost them. I spent a few hours searching all over the garage for them, but I must have thrown them out. So, I took at look at the 2 sets of contacts that I do have, and decided to pick the best pair and file them smooth. Didn't have my camera handy for the after pic, but here are the 2 pair beforehand. I chose the 2 on the right since they seemed to have the least wear. I also sanded and smoothed the copper ring on the plunger.

I'm gonna try it like this and if the starter acts up any more, I'll order another set of contacts from Roger. I can't believe I lost the first set. Putting the starter back in the truck probably tomorrow.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Looks like you are making quick work on your winch. I know how you feel misplacing a part. That is frustrating to no end. I feel your pain on that one.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 AM

So last night I put the starter back in with the "freshened up" contacts. 3 starts so far and it appears to be working great.

I'm still experiencing that warm start issue, where I have to tap the gas to get it to start. I have have never pulled the cold start injector itself, although with the temps here in FL I don't think it really factors in, unless MAYBE it is leaky and causing me to flood and opening the throttle plate gets some more air in there. Seems like a long shot to me, but I guess it could be the issue. I really did not want to remove the injectors for cleaning until I get on top of rebuilding my spare 22re, but I might be forced to.

Also read on another forum that this could be a distributor problem, something about the pickup coil getting warm and resistance increasing or something, but I'm not totally sold on that idea. I do have 2 spare distributors sitting in the garage, but not really sure if I want to go that route.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Got some alone time in the garage this morning. A few weeks ago, I ordered these 4" dash speakers of Amazon, they were super cheap and got some decent reviews, so I bought em. Also, they come 2 per box, I accidentally ordered 2 boxes, so I've got 2 extra speakers if anybody wants em.

They fit pretty well into the dash spots, kindof have to bend or trim the metal tabs a little to get both screw holes to line up right.

Unfortunately the PO cut holes in the doors for the front speakers, I removed the speakers from the doors and put them in the cargo area and wired up the new dash speakers. I'm going to have to figure out something to cover the holes in the doors. SR5 map pockets might work, I was also thinking of making some kind of cupholder.

Also finally got my new CV axle in. Since I had already pressed the studs out of the stub axles back when I swapped the diffs, changing the CV was not really too bad. The old one had no ball bearings in the outer joint and it was completely separated.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM

One other thing, I noticed my drivers side tail-light kind of bleeds the light over into the turn signal and backup light area. I wondered why, took the lenses off and I see the the pass side has a little black plastic blockoff, but my driver side piece is missing. Guess I'll have to start browsing around for one of those.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread