86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

chukarhunt's 1992 "Jake" Pickup Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakesr5
Sounds awesome!! I can't wait to see how much power you get out of this. Then I will come by and you can make one for me JK Looks cool though.

Jake

Thanks Jake! I am slowly getting numbers for this guy, need to put the old intake back on this weekend and compare acceleration times. Custom intake needs a little bit of work done anyways.

Last edited by chukarhunt; 05-05-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Hey guys!

well, I got home this afternoon and in 30 minutes swapped intakes. Not as bad as it looks! Then I went and got some more numbers, before and after. Cover my bases here...

I shot the cylinders again with the temp gun. All reading the same again, except number six. Depending on where I aimed the gun, it could have been 10-30 degrees hotter than the other two on that side. So, it wasn't necessarily the intake causing the issue. Any ideas?

Then, I went to go get my 10-60 acceleration times. With the custom intake, I did three runs to get an average of 17.2 seconds, accelerating from 10 to 60 mph.

I did the exact same run tonight with the stock intake, and I got an average of... wait for it....

16.2 seconds. Sigh..... ya the stock intake was a second faster. Now, I did have a slight wind at my back, I swear! but this tells me it is a wash, if not worse to run the custom intake.

Another number.... I did one run of each starting from a stop, 0 to 60. Custom intake got me 21.9 seconds. Stock intake 16.5 seconds. You know what I am thinking? I sacrificed a lot of low end torque with the custom intake, perhaps due to severe turbulence. :/ only thing I gained was engine compartment space.

Well, there you have it. I was wrong, again. What I thought I was feeling in power gains was just a bunch of hot air. After driving around with the stock intake again, I can say that I would prefer it over the custom one. I guess I can say I tried. Go ahead and criticize, I can take it. thanks for the encouragement though, sorry to get anyone's hopes up!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You gave it your best shot and how many others was brave enough to try something different. I like seeing something someone trying improvements. Never know, the next one might be a home run.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey man that stinks about the intake, kudos for trying at least. But I have a question to all those people with the 3.slow. Are those figures inline with other peoples times, because that seems very slowly for it's size and power.
A 4000 pound truck with 150hp in theory should be a lot faster than the times you got. No disrespect I'm just curious if there is something wrong.

Last edited by jaretstuff; 05-09-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry it didnt go as expected man, didnt want to be right on this at the cost of all your hard work.

People always complain about stock stuff being "poorly designed" I like to think they pretty much know exactly what they are doing. (well...maybe someone was a little off when they cooked up the 3.0)

Please dont let any of my prior comments or even this one discourage you from tinkering with your ideas. If is wasn't for guys like you we would never have anything new.

If it were up to me to be inventive...we would still be living in caves.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 AM

For the changes in temperature, that crossover pipe if you have stock headers, causes lots of excess heat, and that is why the notorious head gasket failure occurred. The little bit of heat (10-20) degrees, can cause severe consequences. Even a slight head warp if they're aluminum. I would recommend new headers that eliminate the crossover or run dual pipes.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You gave it your best shot and how many others was brave enough to try something different. I like seeing something someone trying improvements. Never know, the next one might be a home run.
Thanks Terry. Still going to tackle the exhaust again, Needs a little improvement.

Originally Posted by jaretstuff
Hey man that stinks about the intake, kudos for trying at least. But I have a question to all those people with the 3.slow. Are those figures inline with other peoples times, because that seems very slowly for it's size and power.
A 4000 pound truck with 150hp in theory should be a lot faster than the times you got. No disrespect I'm just curious if there is something wrong.

Thanks jaretstuff. I am not sure about other people, but it is probably right for a 3.0. I have a feeling I have a bad injector, but the last 3.0 I rode in felt about the same. Anyone want to go get their own times?

Originally Posted by HighLux
Sorry it didnt go as expected man, didnt want to be right on this at the cost of all your hard work.

People always complain about stock stuff being "poorly designed" I like to think they pretty much know exactly what they are doing. (well...maybe someone was a little off when they cooked up the 3.0)

Please dont let any of my prior comments or even this one discourage you from tinkering with your ideas. If is wasn't for guys like you we would never have anything new.

If it were up to me to be inventive...we would still be living in caves.
Haha, No hard feelings here Highlux! Some one has to keep me down to earth. I have a couple of other projects in mind. This R&D stuff is expensive though. I think I just need to install my elocker sitting in the garage, get some BJ spacers and go wheeling for once. About time I get out of the garage.

Originally Posted by WVYOTABOY29
For the changes in temperature, that crossover pipe if you have stock headers, causes lots of excess heat, and that is why the notorious head gasket failure occurred. The little bit of heat (10-20) degrees, can cause severe consequences. Even a slight head warp if they're aluminum. I would recommend new headers that eliminate the crossover or run dual pipes.
Crossover mod has already been done. I am going to redo it though as it isn't very pretty. At least it lowered underhood temps, so that was a plus.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Today I decided to give Jake a little TLC.
Name:  20140509_094251_RichtoneHDR_zps1clxg9ah.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  20140509_094307_RichtoneHDR_zpsmnnqtefv.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  20140509_094427_RichtoneHDR_zpsayvhdffw.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  20140509_094453_RichtoneHDR_zps1rewd8m2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  87.4 KB

Is this stock? If you saw in the other pic the previous owner tried to install a sound system, which I intend to fix.
Name:  20140509_095104_RichtoneHDR_zpsz5zfmpei.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 PM

So the wife started to clean the house and I was kicked out, so needless to say I felt like being productive. Started on the elocker install. It is a tight fit, but we made it work.
Name:  20140509_125002_zpsbsbs4uvs.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  79.4 KB

after a ton of sweat and kicking breaker bars, got the sucker out... Amazing what 22 years does to bolts!!
Name:  20140509_143648_zpskesseixz.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  74.0 KB

I am so tempted to put new springs in at this point...
Name:  20140509_143656_zpskbdnj0dq.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

Got it chopped up and cleaned.
Name:  20140509_182204_zpstuni1k8b.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  56.1 KB

Sitting nice and pretty!
Name:  20140509_190704_zpsilhynxsc.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  59.0 KB

I had to call it quits early today to start researching brake options. I knew that I lost brake fluid last week somewhere when working on the intake, just wasn't sure where. Well when I pulled the axle I saw this:
Name:  20140509_143820_zpss03gsgo1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  85.9 KB

Starting to leak! My locker install is going to take longer than I expected... I want to convert to disc brakes, but while I am at it, you guys think a full floater is worth it? I mean since I am here, and I plan on hauling a lot of stuff...

I need to look up costs on brake swaps, last thing I want to do is pay to fix the drum brakes I hate. All I have to do to finish the locker install is drill and tap. Any suggestions on brakes?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Yes. Leave the stock rear end in there. Plenty tough for you. Leave the stock drums on it. You got the v6 breaks.

Its not like you have a build LS1 in there and are running road courses.

I like the idea of leaving the rear brakes drum...last thing I want it my rear breaks to lock easier. And then there is the ebrake hassle with rear discs.

I would just go through them. Clean and paint. New shoes..springs...feeling squirrely....do the rear axle seals and bearings. Button it up and repeat in 200k.

We dont need to modify everything. Toyota got a lot og things right. The v6 carrier in your truck is beefy. Axles strong. Drum brakes are simple and already there...

You are doing an e locker though...thats cool. Cool as hell and will give you your "tinkering" fix.

Just what I would do...but Im a grumpy old sob.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Haha, well grumpy or not you make a lot of good points Highlux.

Last time I off roaded the truck it was in the mud, and I lost the rear drum brakes. Mud coated the pads and rendered them useless. I would love to convert to disc's for the self cleaning abilities.

The easiest way to convert to disc is use the supra e brake caliper. Unfortunately I can't find them for the life of me! So now I am looking at just keeping everything stock. Only thing I will change out is bearings and seals. After pulling the shafts I noticed the bearings had some substantial play in them, so I will address that.

So much for disc brakes! There are other calipers I can use, but I will either lose the e brake or my pedal travel will be too great.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Disks would be cool but I do agree unless you find the calipers you want or jub let your transmission be your break I'm sure you know more then I do but it looks like we are both playing with axles right now almost like we had planed this looks good though, VERY Jealous about that e locker though. Maybe you could find me one or if you think you won't wheel we could switch. I'm getting very good at changing those. Jk have a great weekend.

Jake,
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The picture above that you was asking about in the stereo system doesn't look stock. I don't think my old extended cab had anything under there.

As far as Supra brakes, there is a salvage in Joplin, Mo that has an 82 and an 84 Supra. Too bad I did have the time, funds and skills to get them going. Overall excellent shape. One was hit in the rear end by a kid texting. The woman bought it new and babied it. She cried when she had to sell it to the salvage yard. http://66trucksalvage.com/ If you want to see if they will sell you some rear disc. I don't know if those are what you are wanting, but that is where I seen 2 of them just the other day. I done got the 82 AFM off of it so I beat you to that. lol No elockers in my area that I know of.

E locker looks like it is coming along great.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jakesr5
Disks would be cool but I do agree unless you find the calipers you want or jub let your transmission be your break I'm sure you know more then I do but it looks like we are both playing with axles right now almost like we had planed this looks good though, VERY Jealous about that e locker though. Maybe you could find me one or if you think you won't wheel we could switch. I'm getting very good at changing those. Jk have a great weekend.

Jake,

Thanks Jake! I had been looking for an elocker for a long time with 4.10 gears, then one day it popped up in the yotatech classifieds and I didn't hesitate. I check the classifieds almost every few hours everyday when I need something. I might just keep this locker. You have a great weekend too!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The picture above that you was asking about in the stereo system doesn't look stock. I don't think my old extended cab had anything under there.

As far as Supra brakes, there is a salvage in Joplin, Mo that has an 82 and an 84 Supra. Too bad I did have the time, funds and skills to get them going. Overall excellent shape. One was hit in the rear end by a kid texting. The woman bought it new and babied it. She cried when she had to sell it to the salvage yard. http://66trucksalvage.com/ If you want to see if they will sell you some rear disc. I don't know if those are what you are wanting, but that is where I seen 2 of them just the other day. I done got the 82 AFM off of it so I beat you to that. lol No elockers in my area that I know of.

E locker looks like it is coming along great.

Thank you Terry! I appreciate the input on the speaker stuff. Not sure what he had going on. I checked out that website and they didn't have any. and neither does car-part.com! Looks like I am stuck with drums... for now. I appreciate the help!

It is days like this I am glad I have a garage:
Name:  20140510_141341_zpsxtaogd64.jpg
Size:  100.3 KB

How's that for drilling and tapping?
Name:  20140511_091639_zpsp9m4bt2u.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  20140511_091647_zpslnlpzdhb.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB

Installed! woohoo!!
Name:  20140511_094206_zpsqsen38jg.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  84.5 KB

Now onwards and upwards! Time to rebuild the axle. Won't get all the parts until later this week, but I can start on changing out the front diff gears. Will probably need bearings and seals there too! argh...

Hope everyone has/had a great weekend!

Last edited by chukarhunt; 05-11-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Finished up for the day

Cleaned and prepped
Name:  20140511_124457_zpsyym5elrw.jpg
Size:  102.7 KB

This is some pretty good stuff! I couldn't find any por15 in town so I bought this. We will see how well it holds up.
Name:  20140511_162742_zps3gdrgxna.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.7 KB

I will order bearings and seals tomorrow when napa opens to finish the rebuild.

onwards and upwards
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM

I long for the day when I can paint my rear end!!

I may even get crazy and powder coat it. We will see.

Enjoy every minute of it man!

I had a 91 that color I loved that truck. Reg cab 4x4 22re. Got close to 100k so I figured it was time to trade it in....regret it to this day.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
I long for the day when I can paint my rear end!!

I may even get crazy and powder coat it. We will see.

Enjoy every minute of it man!

I had a 91 that color I loved that truck. Reg cab 4x4 22re. Got close to 100k so I figured it was time to trade it in....regret it to this day.
Do it! I wish I had the time and money to powdercoat, but this stuff just might do the trick.

If I was really anxious, I would have done the entire frame as well, but I need to do one thing at a time here.

I will be sure to enjoy it. Just the thought of it being "new" puts me at ease. With this zuk mod you can see the entire axle from behind, so at least it will look good to everyone else as well lol. I don't think I will ever get rid of this truck, cause like you and everyone else says, they regret it, and I know I will too. It is just too much fun, but you have some other awesome rigs as well, ones I wish I had, so I guess to each their own!

Ordering parts as I write this. I feel like I am forgetting something.... Think!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Are the brake parts on newer Supras? Just like our trucks, Supras dont hit the yards often. Same with Land Cruisers, just amazes me how most Toyotas get stripped.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Is looking good!! Your making me mad I can't play with mine until the snow melts and my parts..... Who knows where they are.

Jake,
Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Hey quick question how much did you pay for the locker? Did I miss it? I just found a e locker of a 01 taco for 550 and think I will pull the trigger on it if it is reasonable on price.

Jake,

Quick Reply: chukarhunt's 1992 "Jake" Pickup Build-up Thread