86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

94 Base 2WD build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Base 2WD build...

So this thread is going to be a looooong time in the making, but I figured I'd start somewhere. I've been toying around with the idea of doing something "fast" with my stepsons 94 pickup for a long time now. Well, he's done well in school, proven himself a responsible driver (by not killing anyone, or himself, or even getting a ticket) for his first year behind the wheel, so the wife and me decided to upgrade him to a V6 Mustang. He hated the truck because it wasn't "cool", but I see potential. It's a rust free 94 base model regular cab, and aside from the front grille, it's straight as an arrow. I see potential. I don't know how this project is going to work out in the end, or how many revisions to my ideas I'll have to make, but it'll get there eventually.

I guess my first question is going to be, are there any companies out there that sell fiberglass front ends, hoods, beds, etc. for a 94 'Yota? I'm not looking for desert racing bulging fenders and bed sides, just stock looking with less weight. I understand that I might not lose any weight with the front end because the fenders are already pretty light, but before this is done I'm going to NEED a cowl hood, and I'm sure a fiberglass bed would be lighter than what's on there.

Also, does anyone know what the "as delivered" weight of a base model 94 regular cab 4 cyl 5 spd is? I've looked around on Google but haven't come up with anything that makes me say "Ah ha!, that's it". Mostly what I find is the weight of the extended cab trucks, 4x4's, V6's, etc. I can't seem to get a good number on a base model with no frills... pretty much the cheapest truck you could buy from Toyota in 1994.

Thanks in advance for any replies. As the project begins and progresses I'll update the thread with pictures, and as I figure out exactly what I'm going to do, I'll pass that info along as well.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Toyotafiberglass.com

also, dunno if it's true or not, but....
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM

Holy crap! Not sure if you posted that from your phone, or if it was a screenshot, or what, but looking at that on a computer screen.... it's friggin huge!!! Thanks for the weight info though. I'll check out that website as well. I figure if I can't purchase the fiberglass stuff I want, I'll just make it using the existing body panels to make plugs/molds, then build the pieces I want. I'd like to get it down around 2200 lbs. It's definitely going to have to go on a diet.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 PM

yea, it was a screencap. but it works out well for all the old farts who surf YT all day.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:23 PM

Well right on. I contacted that place you gave me a link to regarding fiberglass parts. I sent an email saying that I was looking to put the truck on a diet and was wondering if they could tell me how much their hood/fenders/beds weigh. This is the reply I got.

"our product is built for strength , NOT weight savings .. sorry , I cant help you ."

I guess nobody has filled them in on the benefits of composites. The whole point is light weight and strong. I don't see any point in building something from composite for strength when it's already made in metal for cheap. You can get new fenders for like $50 a pop. Smash one of those into a rock and it'll bend. You smash a composite fender into a rock and you end up with a cracked and splintered mess.

Oh well, if nobody makes what I'm looking for then I guess I'll just make it myself!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:29 PM

Not sure if you can tell, but I'm still new to this forum, and there's a whole mess of sub-forums, so maybe you could point me in the right direction if I post out of place. One thing I'd like to know is how strong are the rear ends in these little trucks? I've got a Ford rear end I could swap in, but if the stock unit will take a flogging with a little beefing up, I just assume use it. Whichever one I use, it'll be getting 4 linked.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM

2wd, so your rear should be the 7.5". Considering they use that design in the supra, i think youd be ok. just dont throw 400hp at them.

as for the fiberglass, no, its not lighter. its stronger. and doesnt rust. there is no need for a "lighter" front end. this truck is a featherweight as is. supercharge it, turbocharge it, doesnt matter. youre gonna have problems with traction in the rear before you have weight issues with the front end.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM

also, post up some pics of it. maybe post up your plans for it. people cant help unless you have an idea yourself.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Well I didn't want to say too much too soon because undoubtedly the naysayers will chime in, but my plans are to wedge a DOHC all aluminum 4.6 Ford in there, back it up with a C4, and let er eat. 7.5" isn't gonna cut it, so I guess I'll be using my Ford rear end.

The truck is going to undergo some modifications to make sure the power stays planted. If there's one thing I'm confident about, it's hooking the power. This isn't my first rodeo with custom suspension, just my first rodeo doing it in a Toyota. I figure, why not?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM

its been done before. theres a guy on here who runs a 400hp 302 through a stock toyota gearbox and stock rear end and desert races it. anything is possible if you build it using the right parts.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM

now, make a drag truck using the 4wd system, but lowered to 2wd height. that would be a bad machine. theres a guy who did that with a turbocharged 3rz tacoma. used to run 11s in full dress with sliders and bumpers. hed launch in 4hi and switch to 4lo before he hit 50mph.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
its been done before. theres a guy on here who runs a 400hp 302 through a stock toyota gearbox and stock rear end and desert races it. anything is possible if you build it using the right parts.
Oh, I know anything is possible... if you're willing to do the fab work. The DOHC 4.6 is gonna be a tricky one though because it's wider than Rosie Odonnel's ass. I want to say it's 8-9" wider than a SBF or SBC.

now, make a drag truck using the 4wd system, but lowered to 2wd height. that would be a bad machine. theres a guy who did that with a turbocharged 3rz tacoma. used to run 11s in full dress with sliders and bumpers. hed launch in 4hi and switch to 4lo before he hit 50mph.
Ive seen that done on a full size Ram and it was pretty cool, but for my purposes 2WD will be just fine.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 PM

cool. well, good luck with the build. make sure to post pics of it!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 AM

cool. well, good luck with the build. make sure to post pics of it!
I most certainly will. I have to finish the transmission in my stepsons mustang (synchros... yay) when I get out of work today. Once that's done and I can kick it out of my shop, the Toyota goes in. I've got a 30x40 shop but it's filled with other people's cars. Right now there's a 1927 Model T Sedan, a 65 Galaxie 500, and the Mustang. The Mustang will move out tonight or tomorrow, the T is going to its new owner soon (hopefully sooner than later, but it doesn't take up much room), and the Toyota project will begin. I really need to take a few hours and clean up/organize before I really get into it, but it'll be a fun project for sure!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Not of just the Yota, lets see the others too!!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo

Not of just the Yota, lets see the others too!!
Here's a few pics. First time trying to upload pics so bear with me. There's the 1927 T before and after the disassembly. No rot, so that was nice to see. It's on it's way out the door. There's a few of the mustang right after I bought it (I tore it down within an hour of getting it home. It needed a few things and I figured it'd just be easier to get the front end out of the way). There's a pic of the DOCH V8 just mocked up, DOHC cylinder head before cleaning and after cleaning... gotta love access to a poly blaster, and finally there's a picture that you can kindof see the 65 Galaxie in.

Edit: The last picture is just some pure ridiculousness that I love... from another forum I'm on. Dude built a twin turbo and supercharged DOHC 4.6. That's a work of art.
Attached Thumbnails 94 Base 2WD build...-t1.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-t2.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-t3.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-4vassy.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-4vdirt.jpg  

94 Base 2WD build...-4vclean.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-4vcovers.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-m1.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-m2.jpg   94 Base 2WD build...-shop1.jpg  

94 Base 2WD build...-twin-power-adders.jpg  

Last edited by nickpohlaandp; 03-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.