86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
What do you think is wrong with your transmission?
Not sure but after driving around today its obvious to me that it is in need of some serious attention. it doesnt fully engage the gears when shifting/ will pop out of gear sometimes/ sluggish response/ grinds when trying to put in reverse.

You got quite the shipment of parts on the way, im stoked to see the new look with the armor
Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine will grind a bit sometimes when I try and put it in reverse. Me and my buddy will try and adjust the clutch pedal first to see if that helps otherwise a new clutch might be the ticket. Sounds like your clutch is gone.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice runner you got there! Love the 35's. So many people are afraid of them on ifs i say screw it! Looks wicked, more tire, and maube go through a few steering parts hich is meh. Every thought of loosing the BL and going 4" ifs lift?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4Runner is looking great!

Are those 35x12.5's?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 AM

Yeah they are 35" by 12.5. Thanks for the nice words.

91Yota, no not really. More lift is low on the priorities right now with all the other things I could make better. Plus I don't know if I will keep it IFS so don't want to spend money on it untill a decision has been made.

What I really, really want to do is rust removal. The photos are kind because you can't see the rocker panel dents and a hole near the wheel well and one in the fender.

I'd like to patch those and get some black bed liner and paint the lower half. I though about a home paint job but honestly I really love the colour she is right now. Not sure I could do it myself in the garage and make it look nice. At least I could do the bed liner though.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 AM

Yeah i hear you with the whole waste money on ifs thing. I sat around thinking the same thing for 3 years then said screw it and found a 4" pro comp lift for 300 bucks and said thats all im spending on ifs besides maybe 5.29's which including the lift i can get my money back on easy later on. Theres always somebody new to wheeling were a ifs lift will be great. atleast i can run 35"s and can keep my frame up in the body were it belongs.

So you thinking sas then? Long travel?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 AM

Thinking about both. I think at least while I have a 3" body lift as a winter project I'll flat bottom it. Then if I SAS it I will have some fab skills and chop up the floor and drop it down keeping the bottom flat.

I would not refuse a $300 IFS lift like you've done though. I intend on keeping this rig for the long run so as I play with it more I'll understand it's limits and work on raising them.

I even plan on taking it with me to Australia. My fiance is from there, I just moved back to Canada last July. When she makes me go back I'm going to do a right hand drive conversion. I'm never getting my money back and I have no wish to start from scratch. I love the wheeling part much more than the wrenching.

Besides I really want to build a 77 Honda Civic into a sleeper. I love that car for some reason. If I start over I'll never get to build a little ricer.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-24-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM

I hear you makes sense! Im the same way as far as go alone as you need it. Figured since i DD mine alot and havent wound anything o nuts yet that a ifs lift would do me ok for atleast a couple years then go for a mild sas build.

Flat bottoms are cool! A bit of work but cool none the less i never liked how the gas tank was so low :S

Shipping it to australia sounds wickid! Why not right lol thougg i would do a rhd conversion. It would involve a heck of alot of work for no major gain. Why not just Leave it? Or dont DD it so its not annoying?

Haha awesome why not build a 77 civic! Atleast its not a common annoying 90's an up rixed out vtec. It has some character which is nice im more of a rwd and boost kinda guy myself though. Mr2 FTW! Most underated car ever...
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM

I love RWD too which is why I also want to do a Datsun 510.

I'd right hand drive convert it simply because I could get the parts I need at the wrecker and quite simply it's safer. Much safer, just imagine things you could miss sitting on the wrong side of a vehicle which could kill myself or even worse someones child or someone I love. Would not want that on my shoulders. Plus it helps with overcoming the fact that I instictively want to drive on the right and I remember crossing over when I first got there.

A flat bottom would be rad. All the stuff you don't want to smashed tucked between the frame rails. Then a flat skid and I don't ever need to cringe over the scraping and banging you hear on the trail.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Subscribed...nice thread! Great job regearing! Feels great to get regeared...especially for 35"s! I am hoping to do the non-add shaft swap to... I hate the add vacuum crap.

Rig looks great!

-RONI-

Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Yea man i agree on the rhd stuff. My buddy had an evo 1 and he didnt mind it too much but one time while in seattle he wasnt paying attention to the fact he was on the right side and managed to drift over as if he was driving on the left side of the car and smashed his mirrior into somebody truck lol its not totally safe your right. If you can make it easy to swap back and forth thay would be cool

I want a rhd 4door hilux sobad but eveyone wants 15k for them and still rhd :S

Oh and yes fkatbelly is a good idea. Alot of work though. I wouldnt mind doing the same with my runner in a couple years if i could get all the tools ready. Deffs a good idea for rock crawling.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please do a RHD conversion, that would be so sick. There are plenty of disadvantages here in the states like legality, drive thru's, etc. Im a big fan of the rhd and cant wait to own one
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AssYriaNrocKer
Subscribed...nice thread! Great job regearing! Feels great to get regeared...especially for 35"s! I am hoping to do the non-add shaft swap to... I hate the add vacuum crap.

Rig looks great!

-RONI-

My ADD failed twice since I bought the 4Runner one year ago. The lines froze up the entire winter! I got stuck on a foot high snow bank. Imagine how embarassing it is to be in a lifted 4x4 with people driving by watching you stomp down some snow to get rolling again........

I know it was frozen because come spring thaw it started working again on its own. So lame.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Time for a small update. Have so much work to do on my next time off. I expect to have to install a bumper, frame reinforcement, winch, rock sliders and roof rails to mount a roof rack for the roof top tent. I also want to patch some holes so I feel a little overwhelmed. I need to do it over the span of 7 days I have off before I go back to work again. The next time after that I fly home I leave for the trip 2 days later so I'm pressed for time.

Anyway, yesterday was awesome. I got some bargains at a few garage sales then I got to finally test my truck for the first time properly. It is much better than last year. Places I was stuck I just breezed through. The tires throw a cascade of mud and are working really well. They worked well over the rocks too. I'm really happy with the gears, locker and tire combo I have in now.

After that I owned in some video games and there was a BBQ party at the house. All in all a great day.

Now for some photos and some work updates.

I've also put in sway bar disconnects, LSPV Bracket and replaced the brake cylinders in each drum. I have to get my panhard drop bracket in next.

The first photo is a $20 garage sale steal.

Test day shots!

^ Only needed to get a few more feet and I would have made it.

My helicopter pilot buddy took me for a ride so I was finally able to return the favour. We giggled like little girls the whole time the mud was flying.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 07-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM

nice build so far. not sure if this has been answered but the cv axles in the front are the same left and right. you must love driving in the mud cuz i hate it lol. its a mess
Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 AM

It is a mess but for some reason I love it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Time for an update!!

I've had time to get some parts installed and take a few photo's. My 4Crawler bushings with the idler arm are in along with my Panhard Drop Bracket. I've also got my new Old Man Emu steering stabiliser installed. It was nice going down a bumpy road without so much feedback coming through to the wheel.

My buddy also said we can adjust the steering box to tighten it and it worked like a charm. In fact I might loosen it a bit to get a little slack back into the wheel. My rod ends are next to get done to really freshen up my steering.

The panhard bar is almost back to level. My truck no longer leans and the driveshaft has moved away from the gas tank. Really happy with this mod.

I will get my Addicted Offroad bumper installed next week. I'm not really satisfied with how my purchase has turned out with them unfortunately. There where a few delays which I totally would have been fine with had they even sent me an email. They where all understandable but I had to chase them for an update which annoyed me, I didn't want to be chasing anyone for info. Then when it did get here the square stinger was sent instead of the pointed one I had wanted. We had a conversation about the pointed costing more in shipping so I thought we had worked out that I would weld it on myself to save cost. It was a misunderstanding but paired with the delays..... I'm under the gun to get everything finished before I fly back to work.

Pretty bummed about it because I really did want that silly redneck one..... Not sure if I will order from them again.

Anyway...

Photo time!

Oh new battery too. Mine broke loose and hit the power steering pulley which is damaged now. The power steering pulley does not track straight and there is some damage to the belt. The valve on it has also gone letting off a horrible ticking unless I turn the wheel or stand on the brakes.

The battery had a hole eaten into it. Battery acid everywhere! Optima was my only choice at $320......... Now with a possible Trail Gear steering upgrade not securing my battery properly could end up being expensive.

We disconnected both ends to get the panhard bar out. We also had to disconnect the lower part of the right shock for room to get the bolt out.

Go ratchet straps!

It worked.

[Img][/Img]

This thing is big.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 07-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM

nice. got some new parts installed. i have the same damper, didnt notice a difference but maybe because im not pushing the runner to where i would.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 PM

Nice update! Same damper here also...if I could only afford to make the rest of my suspension match....

"My buddy also said we can adjust the steering box to tighten it and it worked like a charm."

Sharing is caring.

This sounds like a great free mod I would love to do!

PS. That is a pretty rust free undercarriage for Canada. very nice

-RONI-

Last edited by AssYriaNrocKer; 08-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM

After getting into the front end there seems to be some clunking sound in a corner. Not sure what it is yet though.

Roni, I just picked up another second gen for parts. That's two parts rigs now. Me and my buddy are the only two in town who are building them up so have scored huge at the wrecker. They crush Toyotas........

Anyway, I am after the frame and glass. I already got the little bits of missing dash and assorted plastic. Build up SAS or long arm ground up not sure what yet.

Same day we also found a Toyota transfer case which spins free and clean and a transmission at the dump. I'll post photos of them on Saturday to identify what we have.

Too bad that I didn't beat the original owner to the second parts rig. He pulled the head off the 22RE and like a butt hole CUT the wiring harness.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.