86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

88 4runner budget restomod

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 4runner budget restomod

so to day i started some work on my 88 4runner. first thing first i started fixing the rust on the rockers and 1/4 panels. ill post pictures when get some.
it was my dd then i noticed the rust was get worse the month i drove it. and in that time i did the emotions delete ill post pictures of that tomorrow. thanks for checking out my post. updates coming soon!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looking forward to some pictures. Clogged drain holes can cause them to rust up bad. The drain holes are easily cleaned. I see you are from Minnesota and sure that is a little rough with the salt they use.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 PM

yeah its really hard on them its really hard to find rust free ones up hear and when you do they are really spendy
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM

so i did some stuff to the 4runner today. i started removing paint around the rusut on the wheel wells. i also started to remove so rust as well and i tried too patch a spot of rust ( i need a wire feed welder) lol

an the i removed the front fenders that where glued in with some sort of glue that was really strong
locks good with the new ones from my parts truck
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM

i got some work donne the last 2 day i ˟˟˟˟ out most of the rust on the drivers side rear 1/4

ans the i cut the inerfender wells so dirt does not rust out my fenders the i por 15d some minor rust the started i also did the gutters to

then i removed the front bumper and grill because i wanted to do some custom work so i started fitting a 1st gen 4x4 grill form a truck i had on the past

Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That grille looks pretty cool on there. You have your work cut out for you with that rust. I absolutely hate it! I've got a first gen without a spot of rust under it but my 3rd gen has some bad rockers. It makes me sick because it runs perfect and has 140K miles on it. I don't, but almost wish it was my old one that had the rust. I know what you mean about seeing the rust get worse every month. No salt down here and I still watch mine get worse every time I look at it.

You might be able to get the rust neutralized and then find you some fender flares that will cover up the damage. If you are looking for bumpers, the super cheap ones they sell on Amazon are actually pretty good replacements. I got one for $30 with free shipping and it really helped the look of my old girl.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Love the grill. I did the first gen truck bezels and lights as well. Just required a little cutting of the bezel.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
That grille looks pretty cool on there. You have your work cut out for you with that rust. I absolutely hate it! I've got a first gen without a spot of rust under it but my 3rd gen has some bad rockers. It makes me sick because it runs perfect and has 140K miles on it. I don't, but almost wish it was my old one that had the rust. I know what you mean about seeing the rust get worse every month. No salt down here and I still watch mine get worse every time I look at it.

You might be able to get the rust neutralized and then find you some fender flares that will cover up the damage. If you are looking for bumpers, the super cheap ones they sell on Amazon are actually pretty good replacements. I got one for $30 with free shipping and it really helped the look of my old girl.
yeah but its one of my dream trucks so im keeping it around and i also like to work on my trucks. for like 6 months i went through a few trucks because i would buy them not running then fix um and trade for a new project, im looking for some fender flares but in trying to find a used set because im cheap. and thanks for the info
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Love the grill. I did the first gen truck bezels and lights as well. Just required a little cutting of the bezel.
thanks feel free to post some pictures im trying to figure out a way to use the the stock head light bezels. im thinking of fiberglassing them together. it only took about an hour and a half but if someone was doing it and was as much as a perfectionist it would take less time
Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 PM

so i havent posted an update in a while but i will soon i had to through it togeather in 2 day because i needed it back ti dd its all temperary for now when i get the money in going to buy fiberglass panels and i have a slightly better frame so im going to do a frame swap
i bought this to drive well i fix my 4runner im waiting for the title and a lock out hub to start deriving it
Old 05-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I love 1st gen pickups. I've always liked the hook things on the bed. Will you keep the pickup when the 4Runner is fixed? It took me years to do all the body work on my '89. Now I'm missing having a project.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed ^
If you grow tired of that beauty, let me know
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I love 1st gen pickups. I've always liked the hook things on the bed. Will you keep the pickup when the 4Runner is fixed? It took me years to do all the body work on my '89. Now I'm missing having a project.
ill probably end up keeping it I had one when I was 16 but the frame brook right after I bought it so sold it and wanted a good one ever sense but I might sell it one day