86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

86 4Runner saved from the Gallows.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 86 4Runner saved from the Gallows.

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Forum, 4Runners, and Toyotas. I've loved the 1st gen 4Runners ever since I could remember. Now that I have pulled one from the weeds I'll be restoring it as time goes on. First things first I've gotta get this sucker running. When I picked it up the previous owner had plans to get it going again but did now want to invest any money into it. He had half of the motor pulled apart and sitting in the front seat. He was having fuel delivery issues and replace the fuel pump, then moved on to the injectors and cleaned them out with a toothpick. I took the injectors out and had them professionally rebuilt flow checked and balanced. I bolted the motor back together but the wiring is one big hack job. I have been working through matching everything up but wow! Wires cut and spliced, all the connections are cracked or broken and nothing was labeled. So in this first part of saving this Surf I am going to need some help... either some pictures or someone local so I can take a look at your motor and see where all of these connections go and if I've got them wired up to the correct place, so I can get it started. The motor turns over there seems to be fuel being delivered and there is spark, but it's not starting. The fuel pump turns on and runs constantly and for this I am suspecting the AFM. Anyone else have suggestions?

86 Surf 22re auto 4x4
Because everyone like pictures!
First got it home
Back side of the truck. The truck is clean only rust is under the battery tray.
Swapped out those goofy wheels for some steel wheels that properly fit under the truck.
Solid clean frame and body that's what mattered most to me everything else is easily replaceable with time and patience.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks solid. 86's have a few different things in the wiring that are a little different then the newer years. Looks like a great project. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I bought my first Toyota, a 1986 4Runner back in 86 with 1500 miles on it.
I love seeing an 86 brought back to life
Old 11-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Well I put the motor back together as best I could without any manual and I can get it started has spark seems to have fuel I was thinking of pulling the fuel rail back off to see if the rail is getting fuel. Also when I connected the battery and turned the key the fuel pump comes on and stays on. I've heard that is the AFM am I wrong thinking that? I think some of the wiring is messed up as well and I'm trying to find a FSM to sort out those issues. Plan to pull the valve cover off and drop the oil pan next day I have off. I think there may be coolant in the oil. Trying to decide if I should replace the timing chain and guides and water pump while I'm at this stage. What do you all think, anyone have any leads on a FSM?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM

Toyota's with AFMs shouldnt have the pump running with the key on. Usually how they're wired, the fuel pump opening relay gets power when the key is in the crank position to run the pump while starting. Then when the motor starts, the AFM door is open from intake vacuum and that keeps the pump running. Check if the fuel injectors are getting power. Maybe you forgot to plug the Fuel injector resistor box in? The resistor is located on the passenger side of the engine bay. Its silver and has two plugs. One plug is a single wire which is the power, the other two are the power outputs to the injectors.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

To see if you are getting fuel https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51760299 jumper the connector with a paper clip and the key on. There is a rubber line on the back of the fuel rail that connects to a metal fuel line that returns to the tank. Stick the rubber line in a glass jar and it should fill it up in about a 1-1 1/2 minutes. That should tell you if you are getting fuel. The 2nd and 3rd picture applies to your truck.

I have a Factory Service Manual but my favorite is a Haynes Manual. Dont waste your money on a FSM. It has only helped in a couple of areas but not what most would experience. Until you get a manual, I tried to make my 88 build thread full of helpful links that can help you get thru some problems. I restored an 86 identical to yours and learned the most on it. It has some information on it as well but most is on the 88 build link in my signature. Everything is located on the first page on where to find it.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:32 PM

So after some diagnosis I had concerns about my cold start injector. I pulled it off brought it to a shop to see if they could do anything with it and it's if frozen. They tried heat soaks and all sorts of things and they couldn't get it going. These aren't rebuild able so I have to find a new one. What's recommended? What do you all replace yours with?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Get another from the junkyard.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 AM

Are there only certain years that work? Or only off runners and trucks? Will a celica cold start work? I've been trying to see if they have different flow rates and I've noticed there are different part numbers for an almost identical injector.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Scored some parts this weekend to keep myself busy for a while. Skirt, fender, door, grill, front bumper, and skid plate.
Air tube, steering column with tilt and key, interior handle trim, steering wheel trim, cold start injector, and rear passenger lens.

Last edited by JimmyVegas; 12-14-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Well it's been a while and not a whole lot has happened. Work has had my attention quite a bit and the weather hasn't been great. Hopefully it will warm up here a bit and the rain will stop for a while. I did get some new shoes for it though. I'll post a picture of it soon. I also got a new optima battery working on new leads and a battery box. I had some rust to clean up beneath the old battery tray. Seems like all of these rust out there. So I cut out my old battery tray and am installing a ballistic fab box. I have a few rust holes I discovered under the windshield trim, I'm probably gonna have to cut them and bondo them there pretty small none larger then a quarter. At some point in its lif it was sitting for a while and was caked with dirt and old leaves and they just sat and rotted under the trim. Is there a different type of mounding for these windshields? The 8 peice hard trim I had was trashed. I forgot to mention I picked up some windshield wipers from a later model with modern hooks to see if I can mount those instead of the original style. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have had my local windshield shop to install a rubber seal in my trucks in the past. You might ask one locally if they could do the same. A cold start injector from 85-88 will work and can be off of the pickup or 4Runner.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 PM

those wheels rock
Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice solid base to build off of. I need another one of these.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:03 PM

Wheels are up for sale! I went with some steelies. Started digging into the motor and head gasket was blown, pulled the timing cover to see if it was that and of course it wasn't. So next course of action is getting a motor. I was looking at Oregon Engine Re-builders to get a stock motor with the heavy duty timing setup, I have heard mixed reviews on there motors though but mostly bad with there super stock option. Anyone have any experience with there stock rebuilds?

My family is coming to visit for Easter and they are going to bring my welder, engine hoist, and stand. I have some windshield trim woes that I need to take care of.

I think I have a lead on a few more parts that I am in need of then its all up to me to put the pieces back together again. I'm getting a much needed promotion at work so the 4Runner is first on the list of projects to be completed. The weather is starting to break as well so all in due time I should be driving this old guy around.

Last question for today, what does everyone due for rear springs mine are sagging and I don't really want to lift it, are the EMU rear springs kind of a level it out spring? The front seems to sit higher and has much more fender gap then the rear. I would love to hear any info about this.

Older pic for fun previous owners snapped so many bolts off taking off the top. I've been drilling them out little by little.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

For the "Saggy Butt" most do the Zuk Mod. I used some coil springs from a Jeep. Zuk used some Black Magic Springs off of ebay and I used them too, but I now prefer the springs from a Jeep for the lift. They will take it back to the stock height. I prefer the No Cut which is not cutting off the bump stop off of the frame.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:35 AM

All right back at it again. Hoping you all haven't lost interest or given up hope but had to save up some money for this.

I got busy stripping down the old motor with a blown head, and with 275k I figured why just rebuild the top end so I picked up the new motor from Oregon Engine Rebuilders, It comes with a lifetime warranty and I'll be relocating about an hour away from there shop in the next year. The 4Runner is currently in this state with me itching to get to it every chance I get.
A few things Id like to do while I have the motor out is replace the motor mounts, I've heard rumor of people using a gm tranny mount from energy suspensions, Anyone use those before?
I'd like to find a bracket to keep my factory ac and mount a york compressor above it for OBA, haven't found much info about anyone making brackets for that any ideas? And either rebuild or swap my factory ac, alternator (or upgrade), and power steering pump. I'm not sure I need to do anything with the power steering pump but while I have this out I figured I would like to fix as much as I can or upgrade. I would love to hear any ideas for upgrades or rebuilds, if anyone has tackled any of these things before and your thoughts on the process. The 4Runner is going to be my daily driver im not going to be wheeling this thing maybe some expeditions. I eventually plan on a winch and some led lights, maybe a selectable locker at some point but that may never happen.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 829 Likes on 556 Posts
Right on! We look forward to seeing this rig move under its own power soon!
Good luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129...d-22re-163697/
Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I have heard of people using the GM poly mount for the engine, only thing I might say is that poly is stiffer than rubber, so you could feel more vibrations with the poly.