86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1990 toyota build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This pipe that goes over the thermostat was looking pretty rough, I had another one so I decided to go ahead and put it on along with a new thermostat. This should be an easy 15 minute job right? Wrong! ha ha, another
bolt is broke.

Here it is, after thinking about it i'm just going to switch the whole intake manifold. It will get rid of this problem and I will be sure that all my wires and sensors will plug into my truck as they should, most of that is somehow connected to the intake.

I decided to take the exhaust manifold off my old engine because I know that it has nice clean studs. Took the heat shield off and I saw the crack. Dang it, I cant catch a break lately, guess i'll have to find another one.

I'm really not surprised. It was not like this before the wreck but the exhaust pipe was smashed about 8'' from the manifold. I'm pretty sure this crack was a result of the wreck.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:32 PM

I have been very lazy a bout documenting my progress lately. In order to resolve my issue of stripped threads in my cylinder head I ended up tapping the hole all the way to the bottom by cutting my tap off with a wiz wheel. This took the taper off the tap and I was able to tap the hole all the way to the bottom. Then I bought a long stud so I could thread it all the way to the bottom. This gave me maximum thread engagement, and I think it will hold just fine. I got the stud from a place called bel metric, they actually had a pretty good selection a metric hardware.

I have not been taking enough pictures lately, but I have finished putting my motor together, bolted it to the transmission, put them on the frame and then put my cab back on. I am now working on getting everything put together on the cab this is how it is looking now

Old 03-25-2017, 05:50 PM

On a side note, my steering column was a bit messed up because the truck was hit on that side. the shaft was bent from the column to the steering box. I ended up getting a tilt column from a 90 4 runner, and the shaft between the column and the steering box came from that same 4 runner. I also got the trim above and below the column because it appears to be a bit different than that of the standard column. It actually bolted right up. I should have taken more pictures of the swap. I was able to use the 4 runner ignition switch, I just had to switch out the tumbler from mine and switch the back part where the wires went in. the 4 runner had cruse control and a different steering wheel. I kept my original steering wheel because I do not have cruse control and the switches for that are in the steering wheel for the 4 runner. I was able to use the 4 runner combination switch, it has intermittent wipers which will be nice. this required some minor modifications because the original switch for the truck had a brass pin that hit a ring on the steering wheel to control the horn, while the 4 runner switch had a clock spring due to the cruse switches on the wheel. The 4 runner switch had the spot for the brass pin so I took it out of my trucks old switch and put it in, then I cut all the wires from the clock spring, and connected the wire that went to the horn to the brass pin. It all went together and It all seems to work. I noticed after it was in that there are switches for the rear wipers on it, maybe I can make those go to something else later.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 PM

What a difference fenders, doors, and a hood makes! I'm closing in now! A couple more weeks and this bad boy should be driving. I have most of the stuff under the hood hooked up. I even got all the stuff I needed to put air conditioning on it. That was actually not that bad, it all bolted up and all the wires were hanging there ready to go. My radiator was bent pretty bad from the wreck. It was actually still holding but I decided to replace it because many of the fins were crumbling or gone. I was going to go with a csf2314 but ended up getting one from the Toyota dealer. I really wanted an all metal one that would last 27 years like the first one. I was a little worried the new factory one would be plastic and aluminium because I know the 95s came with that and they should bolt up the same. I was pumped when I got it from the dealer and it was an old school brass and copper radiator! It was stamped 6/2016 so I guess they are still making them, or at least were still making them pretty recently.

So I still need to put the front bumper and stuff on, make my exhaust, put the bed and rear bumper on, put my inner fender panels on, get all the wheels on, and then adjust the torsion bars, cam bolts on the lower control arms and adjust the toe in. Then finish a bunch of little things and It should be ready to rock!