86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks again. No worries, I asked on toyota4runner.org and guys are saying I should just put some ball joint spacers in.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For shocks when I had an ifs rig if yr just wanting stock ride quality go get some basic ones from ur local auto store with a life time warranty and then u can just keep beating them up. If put ball joints in there with all yr new suspension it'll do just fine but chances are you'll break something. If your tires aren't rubbing then don't put spacers in. I hear the pro comp e3000s are pretty soft. For shocks. I have bilstiens they are decent and a all around good shock. A co worker has the rancho 9000 adjustables and has them all the way stiff
Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the 4Runner and build thread
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the shock info. I am just going to buy some Bilstein HD's and run those, then sell my nitro charger shocks. I read that the bilstein 5100's are actually too long for the stock suspension so those aren't possible. The cheap ones are an option too but I'd rather have the nicer shocks on there.

Last edited by 84 yota dude; 03-14-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Love the 4Runner and build thread
Thank you!! Definitely love my 4runner too hah
Old 03-19-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Hello Everyone

I finally made some time to post up the progress of my new to me 1987 Toyota sr5! Here’s the backstory. I’m turning 18 in a couple of weeks and for my first car, I knew I wanted a truck. So I ended up buying a 1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Xtra cab over a year and a half ago. Drove it as a daily driver, and loved the truck. It really introduced me to my love of classic Toyota 4x4s. However, after reading around on the forums, I found out about the first generation 4runners and absolutely knew I had to get one. My truck was great and all, but there was no A/C, since it was an 84 it had a solid axle plus an old lift so it was very uncomfortable on the road, and had only two seats. I rarely carry people around, but like having the option. So after some extensive research, I knew I still wanted a 4cyl and 5speed and an sr5 model. So I narrowed my search to 87 4runner sr5s. After over at least 5 months of checking craigslist almost every day, I found the cleanest 4runner yet. I’m located in the north Bay Area and the 4runner was in Chico, so not too far away. It was an 87 sr5 completely loaded, 2nd owner, super clean, and only 168k original miles. I contacted the seller asap and set a date to meet with him. Only thing was that it would be a week later because I left for a trip the day after I talked to him. Then when I returned he told me the 4runner sold to a guy in Los Angeles. I was totally devastated because being in California I know how hard it is to find clean California first generation 4runners. So my summer continued on and in the end of July I went on statewidelist again and saw an 87 sr5 4runner for sale in LA. I looked closely at the pictures and it was the same 4runner I found earlier in June! I was so excited and contacted the guy asap. Once he got back to me, he said some guys were already ahead of me. And because of that my spirits somewhat dropped. Then less than a week later, out of the blue, he texted me and said if you have the money and can be here before the weekend the 4runner is yours. So I drove down to LA with my dad and his uncle bought the truck for $5500 then turned around and drove home in one day! Ever since I have been living the dream. Haha
Also did I mention that driving home I was set on cruise control at 70mph with the A/C on blowing ice cold! Not too shabby for a 27 year old truck, but then again it’s a Toyota.
Anyways on to pics cause everyone loves those..

What part of north bay you from. I lived in larkspur for 5 years and was at redwood highschool. I moved back to my home town in north idaho. 1 week after I moved back I ended up buying my 88 4runner. Had good times down in the bay.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:54 AM

Right on! I'm from San Rafael
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Right on! I'm from San Rafael
do you mountain bike at all? If you do you may know teddy hayden who lives in san rafeal and matt koen in larkspur. Im coming down there in 1 month from today. Maybe I will see you rolling around.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM

I do, but I never raced or anything. Their names sound familiar, but I don't know them. Maybe I'll see you out there!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 PM

Back with an update. This summer I have been busy working, but I did some work on my 4runner too. I bought bilstein HD yellow bodied shocks front and rear. I started with the rear and also removed the 3rd leaf spring from the top of the ome pack. Man did that help with lowering the ride height and also the ride quality. I swapped out the front shocks too and overall I am way happier with the ride quality. I mean it's not a caddy, but better than before. Part of me wishes I just bought an 85 4runner because this 30 year old ifs technology isn't that much better than a solid axle, but at the same time I love my 4runner. Anyways, there is still a slight rake. Do you know if that is how the trucks were set up from the factory? I have a fsm and want to check the ground clearance specs.
Another question I have for you guys is where do you think this oil leak is coming from? Looks like it's from the back of the timing cover if that is possible.
Leaking on block Seems to be around power steering pump bracket
One other thing I forgot to mention was that I upgraded my exhaust last winter. I had to smog my 4runner and someone stole my cat so I figured it was time for an upgrade. Magnaflow high flow 2in cat and 2.25in straight through barrel muffler. Not too ricey and loud but has a nice rumble to it.

Pics..
After removing 3rd leaf from top and installing bilsteins

Old 08-14-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I think your new stance is great. I don't know factory specs, but I would imagine you want a bit of rake unloaded so that if/when you put any kind of load in there you even out.

On your oil leak, first of all, you are missing a bolt there on what I think is a coolant tube going into the back of the timing cover. Its hard for me to tell in those pics where the leak might be coming from.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks! I want to check the suspension still, but I think that's a good point when loaded.
As far as that bolt, I originally thought the leak was from that coolant pipe. I got the missing bolt but the leak is still there. I'm sorry they aren't the best pics. I need to do some more looking, just thought someone might have experienced a similar leak.

I also think I am in need of a tune up very badly. The truck has been starting okay now, but has had trouble starting after sitting all day. Also, sometimes the starts are quite violent. I think original motor mounts are part of that too. I will eventually rebuild the whole engine, but I just want to keep it going for now.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
In that area for oil leaks I'd suspect the distributor o-ring, which is a cheap and easy fix or valve cover gasket which is also cheap and easy. Since I can't really see the actual leak in the pics, it could also be power steering fluid, although usually that drips down onto the alternator and not so much on the block. If you really want to fix it, I'd clean the area really well and then monitor it and see where the oil shows up first.

I love that gray color with those original graphics.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 PM

Well I replaced the distributor o ring last year so I don't think that could be the problem. Maybe the valve cover gasket, I have to check. Definitely don't think it's power steering fluid either because it doesn't smell like it.
Thanks again. I searched a long time (4 months at least) to find this type of 4runner. Man did it pay off!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Hi everyone, back with an update.
The 4runner has been sitting since the end of August as I headed back to college. Man this semester has been hard (mechanical engineering is kicking my butt now).
In my little free time I have been researching future mods such as a headlight upgrade. I'm going to make my own h4 harness, but still figuring it out. I actually have a few questions.

I got home yesterday and the 4runner fired right up! I love Toyota
Anyways, I still have an oil leak on the block
I did a little reading last night and found a thread about an unidentified oil leak. Here is a pic I stole from the thread.
NOT MY PHOTO
I zoomed in on the spot where I am seeing oil on the block.
Again, the distributor O ring was replaced but I think I want to pull the distributor and double check everything.
Oil is building up on the block here on my engine
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Are you missing the dipstick? That would cause a leak. If you have it try cleaning the engine so you can better see where it's coming from. I recently had a huge leak from the timing cover. Did the timing chain replacement and it's all fixed.

If you are going to go a long period without driving it put some Stabil in the gas tank and fill the tank. Filling the tank prevents water vapor from getting in there.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the reply nervo. That zoomed in picture is from the pic above (not my engine) so I'm not missing the dip stick, that would be bad! haha

Unfortunately, I think it might be coming from the timing cover..
The timing cover chain guides ect was done a few years back by the PO. I have a receipt, but after discovering a non OEM front main seal and water pump gasket I think they used a non OEM gasket kit on everything. I need to clean the oil and reall see where it is coming from. If it's the timing cover, I would probably just replace the gaskets with OEM ones.
Btw I do use stabil, a trickle charger, and a car cover; it's not just out on the street. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Update over a year later.. Still have the 4Runner. Never getting rid of it! love these trucks

My friends helped me do some long overdue service. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brake and clutch fluid flush and change, front and rear gear oil, transfer case looked fine so didn’t change it.
Driving it, it is sometimes hard to get into first gear when stopped. This is not a new problem. I’m going to check the clutch adjustment spec.
Also, I still have a hot start low idle issue. I thought this would be fixed with the tune up parts but it isn’t. Basically the idle drops to around 500 rpm and it almost sounds like it is not running on all cylinders.

Lastly, I have a leak when it rains in the passenger footwell. Tracked it down to the blower motor. Removed it and noticed water was coming in from the air inlet in the cowl.
Removed the cowl and found a ton of crud. Cleaned it all out and unfortunately it’s still leaking
Total bummer. I sprayed the windshield down with a serious water test and same leak as before even with all the leaves removed from the cowl. I’m thinking that the seam sealer is gone... thankfully there was no rust.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Where the water is entering the hvac box. Arrow is where the water is sticking to the bottom of the "cowl", the sheetmetal below the cowl. The circle is where the water is dripping from. Unfortunately you cannot access it from the top.

Arrow is where the water is dripping from. I think this is the seam sealer behind the fender.

Pics, tried to upload on my phone but no go.

Last edited by 84 yota dude; 01-04-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Progress Thread