84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/29/07

Just ordered a Marlin Crawler dual transfer case adapter and 4.7 to 1 low range gears With 5.29's, I'll be at a 223 to 1 crawl ratio
Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM

2/3/07

I'm going to start off with a BIG THANKS to my dad, my brother, Jeff, and Joe for the help this weekend! More than one set of hands is such a big help.

After several hours of tearing stock front axle apart.

Damn PS lines :evil:

Removed radiator and frontend to get to PS box and inside of the frame to weld steering box support

Stock box is gone

Random parts. Soaking all the frontend parts in degreaser

Steering box is ready to be tapped

How I ended Saturday, one big giant mess in the garage.

Sunday 2/4/07

I don't have a drill press but I've got the next best thing, Jeff Press :razz:

Box is tapped and plugged for future hydro assist.

How it sits after today

Front housing needs cleaned and all the brackets cut off.

Front end parts. Longside birfield doesn't turn very well and binds. Maybe that's the loud popping sound I heard while in 4 wheel drive on it's madien trip to Chinaman's??

EROCK cut off the front spring hanger and trimmed the lower portion of the body mount so the new spring hanger can mount nice and flush.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM

2/6/07

Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo, ordered 5.29's last night, and am going to order the 30 spline Longfields today. I am waiting on Aussie locker. They are backordered. They said they should be getting a shipment anytime.

Now I can lay the hammer down and the frontend won't go BOOM like it would have if I stayed stock
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM

2/7/07

BIG BIG THANKS TO MY DAD!! He cut all the swaybar brackets, shock mounts, torque rod mount, and bottom spring perch off of my front axle as well as taking over to the car wash and cleaning it out. It took him 5 hours of work with the cutoff and grinder. Thanks Dad!

That saved me 5 hours of work on Saturday.

Looks like Saturday I'll mount the front spring hanger, grind inner frame of bracket for old PS box, cut shock towers out, clean up extra t-case for duals, clean all the front end parts, hang front springs.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM

2/9/07

Front axle housing with brackets and mounts cut off.

I went to AutoZone tonight and spent $380 in brakes for the front and rear. Before you say, wow, you spent way too much. I do get $130 of that back with my core returns. So, I've got $250 in brakes. I bought reman front V-6 calipers, new V-6 brake master cylinder (1 inch bore vs. 3/4 bore on stock 84 setup), front brake pads, rear brake shoes, and rear wheel cylinders. This setup should make a huge difference in stopping power from the stock 84 setup. I also needed a bigger master cylinder for the larger drums on the rear with the IFS rearend I'm running.

V-6 and stock 84 calipers

One small piston and one large piston

Two large pistons

V-6 caliper has cooling fins on side of caliper. They are bigger and will work with the new FJ-40 brake rotors I got with the kit.

Stock POS

EROCK, I bought you something :razz: He asked me like 3 times for a breaker bar last weekend and I didn't have one. I do now
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

2/10/07

30 Spline Longfields are here!!!! They are almost too pretty to install, work of art.

Stock birfield is 30 spline in the diff and necks down to 27 spline

30 spline Longfield stays 30 spline into the birfield

Joe and I disassembled the top shift transfer case I plan on using for rear case and 4.7 gears

Here's was our workbench for several hours. My knees killed me after working on the case
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Sunday 2/11/07

My dad and I worked on the front axle, cutting out the drain plug, and getting on the armor and truss. We also cut off the stock shock towers and postioned the front crossmember.

Front spring hanger is 3/4 of an inch in front of the stock hanger

Shock towers are gone
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2/12/07

Marlin Crawler dual case adapter, 4.7 to 1 low range gears, and two solid collar spacers were delivered today!!!

Looks like I'll be working on t-cases this weekend!

I took a quick trip home to get the package off of the doorstep and into the garage. I don't like having expensive stuff sitting right out in the open.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2/12/07

Marlin Crawler stuff is here!

Each one is stamped with a #. I'm dual case # 3580

4.7 to 1 low range gears!

Same with the 4.7 gears. I'm impressed with the gears and the adapter so far.

PORC has shipped my 5.29 gears. Come on Aussie Lockers!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM

2/14/07

5.29 gears from PORC are here!

Motive Gear??? Anybody hear of them before?

Made in India. I was hoping for US made gears but what can you expect for $400 (two sets of R&P and two master setup kits).

Marking on the side of the gear

Bearing are Koyo and have Japan stamped on them.

I bought solid spacers instead of using the crush sleeves.

I finally cleaned off my workbench so I can actually stand up and clean parts rather than bending down on the floor.

I've got one hub completely cleaned up.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Saturday 2/17/07

My dad and I worked on front springs, front spring hanger, and gettting the shackle angle where we thought it would work the best. We orginally had the front spring hanger 3/4 of an inch forward of the stock hanger. We hung the springs and got the axle under it and weight on it. The shackle angle was bad, 0 on one side and 3 degress forward on the other. We ended up moving it even with the frame and it worked better.

New shackle angle after moving hanger flush.

My dad working on clearancing for 4.7 gears in t-case. We worked on the 4.7 case for part of the day.

I welded truss and armor on front axle as well as steering stop covers and getting knuckle gussets in place.

2/18/07
Worked on 4.7 case for several more hours. Finally got it back together.

We also removed tranny and t-case from 4Runner

One good thing about removing tranny is now I can get to my EGR to remove it and put block-off plates in place a heck of alot easier

I've had a rear main leak ever since I've rebuilt the motor 500 miles ago. So, out with the tranny and in with a new rear main.

How I left my garage Sunday night. Dirty and smelly like gear oil.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM

2/19/07

We did have two scares with the 4.7 install. First one was I put a shift rod in backwards and didn't notice until several steps later. I had to drive the roll pin out and thought it was going to fall into the newly closed and RTV'ed case We ended up driving it out just enough to slip the rod out and then pulled the shift rod block out with the pin just hanging in the bottom of it.

Scare 2, we got the case all sealed up and put the shifter on. Damn case wouldn't shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Only high, low, and neutral. We thought it was something to do with the shift interlock pin about 70 steps back in the instructions (122 total steps to install these gears :shock: ). We pulled the shifter and got the shift rods into the correct positions. Put the shifter back in and bingo, shifted perfect!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM

2/19/07

Crap.

I'm thinking I got the oil drive gear on the main shaft of the t-case wrong. My dad and I were commenting about how it doesn't do anything but spin freely on the shaft. Here are the instructions.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/47...stallation.htm

Step 95 shows the oil pump drive gear just sliding on the main shaft. It shows NOTHING about a detent ball until the next step, #96. That detent ball holds the speedo gear to the main shaft but the oil pump gear just spins freely on the shaft.

I asked about it on the Marlin Crawler forum and Marlin's son said that a detent ball holds the oil pump drive gear to the main shaft.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31387.0

Crap
Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

2/21/07

Here's the email reply from Aussie locker.

"We are expecting a small shipment to leave Australia this week and by next Wed. we should be filling existing back orders. We will be confirming as soon as we have the airbill information that provides us with the exact number of the XD20830 lockers we have in the shipment. We apologize for the back order situation."

I may be open dif for Moab if they can't fill my order with their "small shipment"
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM

2/24/07
Dual cases are in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super big thanks to my dad for helping me once again, another weekend. We removed leaky rear main seal, installed new rear main, reinstalled clutch, PPlate, flywheel, tranny.

Then we took apart second case and removed the rear half of the case, the 4 wheel drive part leaving the high / low section of the case. Then we installed dual case adapter to the front case and then put the rear case on.

Next step was to install t-cases and the dang shifters that took us waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long to get installed correctly. We also had to cutup the floor of the cab for the new rear shifter.

All-Pro crossmember was installed and we called it a night.

EGR is removed as well with LC Engineering EGR blockoff kit
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Sunday 2/25/07

Didn't get as much done today as I needed to. I wanted to get the front axle fully welded up and painted and that didn't happen. I did get quite a bit of parts cleaned and painted. Everything is semi-flat black with the exception of the high steer arms, they are orange like the valve cover.

Steering knuckles taped up and painted

Shock hoops, hubs, and steering arms painted
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

2/26/07 1 month until my Moab trip

Left to do

Get axle fully welded and painted
Get axle under truck and start to put it back together
Get steering arms on knuckles and attach tie rod and drag link
Get power steering box back together and mocked on frame
Cut 3/4 inch holes through the frame for PS box
Mount steering box mount and tack weld it in place
Get the damn aussie lockers
Install aussies into stock 4.10 carriers and install 3rd members
Fully build the front axle with new axle shafts.
Reassemble the locking hubs
Install hubs
Paint whatever didn't get painted

Swap rear springs
Install 3rd member in rear
Hook up brake lines front and rear

Install shock hoops and shocks

Make square front driveshaft
Order rear driveshaft
Install them

Trailer 4Runner to gpn911's house and fully weld all suspension
Install brake master cylinder
Install clutch master cylinder
Install front brakes
Install rear brakes
Bleed brake and clutch system

Put gear oil in t-cases, tranny, front and rear diff's
Reinstall radiator, grill, air box

Install tach
Install CB
Figure out rear seat and how to lock it down
Install stock roll bar
Beef up stock gas tank skid plate with some angle iron

Blow all the grinding dust off of it
Wash it

Test drive
Possible off-road shake down run

I probably forgot something but that's what I can think of off of the top of my head.

I've got three weekends left. I hope to get the front axle and steering figured out this weekend (EDIT THAT - I have to get it figured out :shock: ) I don't know if this is the weekend that I could use some help or the next. My problem is keep you busy since with projects. I'm kinda working on random stuff in between things.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM

3/1/07

No pictures but I got one locking hub cleaned up and back together. I followed these instructions, they were very detailed.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281879

I also cleaned up the other locking hub's hardware with the wirewheel. I just need to paint the dial and outer housing and put it back together.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM

3/3/07

Worked on getting front axle to the point of getting the steering arms in place to work on steering on Sunday. Let's put it this way, I freaking should know how to take apart a damn Toyota axle after this weekend. I took off the driver side knuckle and steering arm (trunion bearings, bearing shims, felt, rubber gasket, split metal ring, and oil retention seals) about 20 times. I had to grind the S out of the knuckle gussets to make room for the oil retention gaskets that hold the felt and stuff to the knuckle. I started on the passenger side and it took me much less time after doing the driver side. I also put the brake rotors on the hubs and ended up having to run to my uncle's shop to press 3 wheel studs in the hubs. I also moved the front spring hanger AGAIN to 5/8 of an inch front of flush.

Hub and rotors almost ready to go. Still needs new races pounded it for wheel bearings.

Front axle at end of Saturday.

Driver side knuckle and steering arm done

Not much clearance between knuckle gusset and oil retainer seals. We ground down the gussets before putting them on the axle and it still wasn't enough. I had to take a hand ginder to them.

View of clearance on passenger side
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM

3/4/07
Worked on finishing up passenger side knuckle and steering arm. My dad and I also removed the one spring with the lazy shackle angle in the rear. We swapped springs with the spare one I have and NO CHANGE. So, we cut the top shackle hanger and moved it 5/8 of an inch forward. Perfect shackle angle with other rear spring at 16 degrees.

We removed the rear axle and sprayed it with some semi-flat spray paint. I also put the steering box back together and sprayed it with some paint.

Next came getting the steering box mounted and steering arms connected to get good angle on them. DAMN, what a PITA. We ended up cutting some of the front radiator support out to poke the box out of the front of the truck. Drilling 3/4 holes in the frame is always fun as well as having bolt ^%&)&)*& bolt that doesn't go through the steering box. It was late and my daughter was being woke up from me using the air compressor and banging my BFH. So, I'm one bolt hole away from having the front steering box mounted and frame braced and sleeved.

What a weekend.

How we ended the night. I need to die grind one hole on the steering box.

Steering arm angles. Damn near parallel! I'd call it perfect

My dad was worried about cutting this much of the front support out. I drew out the lines with a marker and he kept asking if I was sure. I told him it wasn't a dang show car :razz:

Another shot of front axle. Looks like a nice setup to me.

Passenger side shackle hanger, almost flush with rear of frame

Driver side shackle hanger, moved forward. I was worried about the rear axle not being straight and tracking down the road correctly. We measured a couple of different ways and we might be 1/8 of an inch off. Not enough to get worried about.

Rear axle with some paint on it. I ended up knocking off of the tack welded spring perches in the process of moving it. NOTHING EVER CAN JUST WORK OUT FOR ME. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I bobbed the rear section as well :razz:

Quick Reply: Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread